Mainly Rank Hovis & Spillers Milling

Hi Spillers were bought by Rank hovis in the 90s but the mergers and monplies decided they would be too big so Ranks sold some mills to kerry foods who kept Gainsbourgh mill and sold the reminder of the mills to ADM milling an Amercian company they had Avonmouth,tilbury,newcastle,liverpool.Rank hovis had Cambridge which later shut then in 2003 Allied mills sold their Tewkesbury,edinburgh,corby,seaforth,knottingly,castleford and the bag side of tilbury to ADM and they closed Newcastle,Tewkesbury and castleford mills.So sadly the spillers the millers name was lost forever.But rank hovis still trade with the transport run by DHL mostly.Hope this helps a bit cheers flourpower.

Great thread Graham wonderful pictures got to keep this one the front page.

Well it must be better to-day than it was in the old days I was refering to, I spent many a long day at some of the Spillers Mills, & even worse at some of Ranks, Ranks at Gateshead was the worst one that I ever encountered for being stood waiting to load or getting loaded, I cant remember ever having a good day when I was there, The blokes that worked there in my book were total Nuggets, they had no interest in their job, & couldnt give a ■■■■ for the drivers that were waiting to tip or load, They couldnt have more awkward if they had tried, good by the good old bad days, Regards Larry.

When I used to go with dad to Silvertown it was often a 4 to 6 hour wait to load, there would be trucks as far as the eye could see! Early start from Reading up to the mill, wait all day and then it was too late to deliver the stuff. :confused: Mind you, Fisons at Barking was just as bad, that was usually a full day going nowhere! Now Silcocks at Avonmouth was a lot better, could usually get it tipped the same day.

Pete.

This CWS AEC Mk III was photographed by Roger Kenney in the 1960s, location unknown. The vehicle is signed to Newcastle.

Back in the late 1950s and into the 1960s there was a CWS bakery on the Priorswood Road, Taunton opposite our school. The flour was delivered by 8 wheel tankers and the bread went out via a fleet of maroon Morris Commercial long wheelbase pantechnicons, presumably to deliver to Cooperative depots in the south west.

Now posted on the correct thread!!!

retriever:

This CWS AEC Mk III was photographed by Roger Kenney in the 1960s, location unknown. The vehicle is signed to Newcastle.

Back in the late 1950s and into the 1960s there was a CWS bakery on the Priorswood Road, Taunton opposite our school. The flour was delivered by 8 wheel tankers and the bread went out via a fleet of maroon Morris Commercial long wheelbase pantechnicons, presumably to deliver to Cooperative depots in the south west.

Fantastic photo, Robin, the location is CWS Sun Flour Mills, on Trafford Wharf, (aka Trafford Bar), Trafford Park, Manchester. This mill was operated by Spillers for about 4 years after they acquired it in the J.W. Fench / CWS merger, which was a complicated and convuluted affair that also involved the famous Lyons Bakery (Absolutely huge site) at Cadby Hall in West London.

retriever:

Wonderful photo great to see love these old mill shots of proper working wagons made my day thanks.flourpower

Not the sharpest of images, but another illustration of the superb Ranks livery of the '50s and '60s. Buchanan’s was in Liverpool.

Flour Milling 098.jpg

Two Sentinel six-wheelers loaded with Homepride domestic pack-size flour at Spillers Dock Road Mill, Birkenhead

Sentinels of Spillers.jpg

gingerfold:
Two Sentinel six-wheelers loaded with Homepride domestic pack-size flour at Spillers Dock Road Mill, Birkenhead

not a bag out of place !!!

gingerfold:
Line-up of a very mixed Spillers fleet in the mid-1950s at Millennium Mills Silvertown

lemonmouth:
Fantastic Photo’s Graham, thanks for sharing them :wink: That looks like a Rowe Hillmaster in the middle of the last picture :confused:

Trev.

So It’s not a Rowe Hillmaster then…It’s a Sentinel :astonished:

A Ranks Commer carrying a non-flour load.

Flour Milling 041.jpg

J.W. French AEC Mammoth Major 8 Mk.V in the road outside of French’s mill at Lots Road, Chelsea.

Semi-overhead shot of a Spillers Leyland Octopus.

VXT.jpg

CWS AEC Mammoth Major Mk.III Tin-Front cab going about its business. Simon-Duramin bulk flour body and system.

Packing sacks of flour inside Spillers’ Millenium Mills, Silvertown

Graham, here is the full image of the CWS AEC revealing more of the petrol pumps.

Plus the second picture, also taken by Roger Kenney.

Thanks Robin, a lovely contribution.

retriever:

Graham, here is the full image of the CWS AEC revealing more of the petrol pumps.

Plus the second picture, also taken by Roger Kenney.

Now that’s what I’m talking about! :exclamation: :smiley: A magnificent AEC Mammoth Major Eight Tin Front Mk III Bulk
Tanker Lorry of CWS Federation Flour,with a Park Royal Tin Front Mk III Phase 2 Cab! :smiley:

Beautiful :smiley:

VALKYRIE.

Competing in a heat of the LDOY

mg][/img]

Flour Milling 100.jpg

Seddon Mark 5L, one of many operated by Spillers in the 1950s