Mainly Rank Hovis & Spillers Milling

And of similar vintage from Ranks

And a Spillers rarity. Jacksons was a miller from Manchester and Bolton acquired by Spillers

Be-Ro was a company taken over by Ranks and it packed flour for the home baking market. Be-Ro originated in Newcastle (Thomas Bell) with a second main depot in Daybrook (Notts). It also had several distribution depots scattered about the country.

Flour Milling 016.jpg

Even 30 years later Be-Ro’s bodywork had hardly changed. A 1966 AEC Marshal posing under a famous Tyneside landmark.

And a Be-Ro Bedford TK driver competing in a regional LDOY contest.

Bedford Be-Ro.jpg

Another Bero Motor based at Newcastle, Regards Larry.

Hovis was a big user of Leylands from the early years until the merger with Ranks, who at the time were big Foden users for its heavy lorry fleet on the flour division.

And a Leyland Hippo from the same era

Early AEC Monarch Mk.II, circa 1935, photographed outside one of the Cambridge college gates. Foster Mills was a Paul’s mill at Cambridge, acquired by Spillers

Enjoying this thread as I used to go with the old man to some of the London mills such as Silvertown. He drove a Seddon fitted with a Tamplin tank but carried bags as well as bulk, I remember one day at (I think) Ranks that the bags were dropping down the shute far quicker than he could stack them (didn’t help with the tank having a tapered floor for the auger so you had to balance over the worm!) that he just stopped bothering and they kept building up in a pile until they burst open! The foreman wanted to know the problem so Dad told him, that was it then, two loaders sacked on the spot and the loading continued at a more leisurely pace ha ha. :slight_smile:

Pete.

Spillers Seddon Mark 5, used for bulk animal feed deliveries.

Flour Milling 165.jpg

gingerfold:

Another great photo,Ranks still mill As You Like It flour that must be one of the longest running name’s for a brand of flour, You must remember it from your time at RHM ? And we still have a mill on Barry Dock’s !
Regards John

what did bob pass do to earn his early "retirement " . i know he was under a cloud at times when i knew him , but it never seemed to bother him . cheers , dave

1159jrh:

gingerfold:

Another great photo,Ranks still mill As You Like It flour that must be one of the longest running name’s for a brand of flour, You must remember it from your time at RHM ? And we still have a mill on Barry Dock’s !
Regards John

Yes, I remember As You Like It flour, a patent (very white) flour, one of the more expensive grades. I’ll upoad some more photos later today.

One of Ranks many Fodens with Simon-Duramin bulk flour body.

Flour Milling 103.jpg

And a Spillers Atkinson eight legger for grain and / or wheatfeed hauling. Spillers had a very varied fleet of types and makes in the 1950s, before deciding to become a mainly Leyland based fleet by 1960ish.

Spillers 2.jpg

rigsby:
what did bob pass do to earn his early "retirement " . i know he was under a cloud at times when i knew him , but it never seemed to bother him . cheers , dave

Hiya Dave he “swung the lead” once to often and came unstuck !Now as the transport is provided by DHL They wont suffer fools gladly and to be honest he’d had a good run,just a pity it ended like it did considering he had worked there for 26yrs
Cheers John :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

One of my personal favourite photos, tin-front AEC Mammoth Major Mk.III of CWS 15 tons of sacks, in the City of London outside the Bank of England.

Flour Milling 032.jpg

gingerfold:
One of my personal favourite photos, tin-front AEC Mammoth Major Mk.III of CWS 15 tons of sacks, in the City of London outside the Bank of England.

That is a great photo of one of my favourite wagons,thanks for posting it Graham.

And a bagged load contribution from Ranks, local deliveries from the time when bakers’ shops were abundent on every high street in every town and village.