Mainly Rank Hovis & Spillers Milling

ramone:

gingerfold:

What a great period photo Graham ,this must have been an early Mammoth Major ,is that the air cleaner on the n/s of the cab?

The above photograph has not reproduced in your post. I presume that you mean this lorry with the following
caption:-Northern Ireland based AEC Mammoth Major Mk.II, 1938

I’ve seen several photographs of pre-war AEC lorries that have a box mounted outside on the lefthand side of
their cabs,and I’ve always assumed that this box is the reservoir tank part of the Autovac fuel feed system.
Strange thing is that not all pre-war AEC lorries had an outside Autovac tank - was it fitted inside the cab on some AEC lorries? Many pre-war AEC motorcoaches and buses also had Autovac tanks,and these were mounted on the outside of the bulkhead next to the engine,as on this 1930s AEC Regal Single Decker Bus,Provincial
No.28:-
google.com/imgres?q=1930S+AE … s:45,i:264

Other pre-war motorcoaches and buses,such as Bristol’s and Leyland’s,also had outside Autovac tanks.

VALKYRIE.

retriever:

I do not know the location of this image, but it took ages in photoshop to get a half decent picture from the negative. The range of films that Roger Kenney used varied massively from Gratispool to Ilford and more. The speed of the films varied also.

With the mill in the background this location looks like Birkenhbead, at the rear of Dock Road.

ramone:

gingerfold:

What a great period photo Graham ,this must have been an early Mammoth Major ,is that the air cleaner on the n/s of the cab?

It’s the Autovac fuel system as Valkyrie has stated.

Side view of a Ranks Foden, circa 1954, before sign-writing, showing the Tollemache pot system for bulk powders in more detail. Note the massive compressor in front of the first pot. The designer of the system had served as a senior engineering officer in the Royal Navy.

Flour Milling 050.jpg

One of Spillers’ Birkenhead based bulk wheat carriers used for taking imported wheat from grain terminals on docksides to the flour mill, also used for carting wheatfeed (the bran and residue after milling wheat into white flour) to animal feed mills. Wheatfeed is the basis for many types of animal feeds. By the middle of last century Spillers was operating from five different sites on Merseyside. Spillers Homepride Mill (formerly Pauls) at Dock Road Birkenhead in the background rear.

Spillers 1.jpg

gingerfold:
Side view of a Ranks Foden, circa 1954, before sign-writing, showing the Tollemache pot system for bulk powders in more detail. Note the massive compressor in front of the first pot. The designer of the system had served as a senior engineering officer in the Royal Navy.

Lovely Photo thanks for posting ,what would the colour scheme have been in the fifties? I have worked for Rank Hovis at Trafford park for 19 yrs and i was wondering if the colour was the middle green and beige we had in the 90s . Its all a bit boreing now the majority of the bulk tankers and unit’s are plain white,Its a pity but it’s done as a cost cutting exercise.
Regards John

hello 1159jrh , if you’ve worked at trafford park for 19 years you must have known banging bob , night man . can’t remember his proper name now , but he drove the neighbours mad at rotherham mill hammering the tank in the middle of the night . he was a good laugh though , nice bloke

Saw your latest Graham, then I remembered I had viewed last night the above. Taken by Roger Kenney, maybe you know the location.

To the right beyond the green verge is a road for the houses there

rigsby:
hello 1159jrh , if you’ve worked at trafford park for 19 years you must have known banging bob , night man . can’t remember his proper name now , but he drove the neighbours mad at rotherham mill hammering the tank in the middle of the night . he was a good laugh though , nice bloke

oh yes you mean a guy called Bob Pass he was recently invited to leave the company !!! if you know what i mean we both went to Ranks from Tankfreight in 1992
cheers John

1159jrh:

gingerfold:

Lovely Photo thanks for posting ,what would the colour scheme have been in the fifties? I have worked for Rank Hovis at Trafford park for 19 yrs and i was wondering if the colour was the middle green and beige we had in the 90s . Its all a bit boreing now the majority of the bulk tankers and unit’s are plain white,Its a pity but it’s done as a cost cutting exercise.
Regards John

It would have been the same colour scheme as this. These were still the most common bulk tankers in the fleet when I joined RHM in 1968.

retriever:

Saw your latest Graham, then I remembered I had viewed last night the above. Taken by Roger Kenney, maybe you know the location.

To the right beyond the green verge is a road for the houses there

Another magnificent photo Robin. The location looks like somewhere I should recognise, I’m thinking East Lancs Road somewhere coming into the outskirts of Liverpool? I hope someone else will identify it.

I just love looking at these photos of bagged loads of flour. Ranks’ Leyland Hippo of the 1930’s, possibly Hull Docks?

These were pre-bulk flour days, so all flour was delivered in hessian sacks, usually 10-stone in weight (140lbs each), and of course hand-ball for the driver and mate. This one is Robinson’s DG Foden. This was a miller at Deptford Bridge, London, taken over by Ranks, and the ‘AN’ East Ham registration number suggests that this was a Ranks fleet Foden even though it is sign written Robinsons. If an acquired business had a good reputation and loyal customer base it was usual for the company taking it over to keep the name of the original business for a few years.

Foden DG 2.jpg

And one representing a Spillers bagged load, a world war two photo of an AEC Mammoth Major Mk.II belonging to a haulage contractor loaded with Spillers sacks. The haulier was based in the Leicester area.

gingerfold:
And one representing a Spillers bagged load, a world war two photo of an AEC Mammoth Major Mk.II belonging to a haulage contractor loaded with Spillers sacks. The haulier was based in the Leicester area.

Another great period photo ,that load looks a real backbreaker ,the driver looks like he would struggle with 1 sack let alone a full load ,my grandad always wore a flat cap like his ,more of the same please Graham

This was another back-breaker. Loading under the chute at CWS Mills, Silvertown. CWS flour milling division eventually became part of Spillers, but their mills didn’t last long after that. They had seen very little investment over the years and were basically worn out. There were three neighbouring mills in the docks at Silvertown, Spillers, Ranks, and CWS.

gingerfold:

1159jrh:

gingerfold:

Regards John

It would have been the same colour scheme as this. These were still the most common bulk tankers in the fleet when I joined RHM in

Thanx for the reply I have only seen photo’s of this colour scheme but i remember in the 90’s that we used the same colour beige and middle green . for me that was one of the better colour scheme’s that we have had .Anything beats what we presently have,although i dont know if you’ve seen the new carbon fibre tanks we have just bought,they are that hideous Hovis Yellow colour …And i thought plain white was bad
Regards
John

gingerfold:

Lawrence Dunbar:
This Daf was an ex Spillers Tanker, from their Trafford Park Depot & converted to a tipper by its present owners G.Lowdon Ltd Seaton Burn, it was down by David Lowdon, & I hand painted the tipper body for him, Regards Larry.

As it was in Rank Hovis livery

Aye thats the livery it was in when we picked it up from Elevator Rd depot, Loveley motor I drove it back to Seaton Burn, I think the Eaton Twin Splitter Box is one of the best ever made. & This motor is still working to-day as the tipper it was convereted into. Regards Larry. PS I will post some more pictures shortley.

Here’s one of the Hovis rarities of the 1930s.

And one even earlier, circa 1914

[attachment=0]Flour%20Milling%20204.jpg[/attachment]