Magnum air dryer

Evening all.
Magnum 500 dxi 2008.
air dryer has started leeking milky fluid from a small (5p size) mesh in the base of the air dryer unit.

Have booked in to Renault @ Reading they have suggested new air dryer (ouch).

Any one any come across this issue?

remove cartridge which will be left hand thread, so turn clockwise to undo (typical french)
with cartidge removed spray brake cleaner and blow out with airdrier
start engine and have on fast tickover and any crap will come out , when clear fit new airdrier cartridge

Not myself although I understand it is an issue at a certain age/mileage, Steve (Neversweat1) is the man here, I’m sure he’ll be along soon.

Did I spot you coming down the hill and round the Frome bypass with an orange box on today?

What sort of mileage has the truck done, I’m assuming it’s got the original drier, can usually tell if it’s got chassis paint on?

My view would be if it’s over 300k I would get it replaced if it’s exhibiting any unhealthy symptoms as if it goes you will be more than likely stranded at the side of the road. Also the replacement cartridges are quite cheap so if you do get a new drier put on drain the tanks run it around for a few days and then put another new cartridge on.

check the compressor for pumping too much moisture down so that the air dryer can’t cope with it, check the pipe work between the compressor and the air dryer for excessive carbon build up, this will cause more moisture build up

the milky fluid will be the excess water coming out of the blow off exhaust valve

Not me mate and yes current odo is 56000.

bazstan009:
Not me mate and yes current odo is 56000.

if that is correct and not a typo, then that seems a bit low for needing a new air dryer or compressor, as previously stated, try changing the cartridge and cleaning out the air dryer unit before refitting the new one

You should get a dash warning on newer Renaults that the cartridge needs changing, has it come up?

It’s not super sophisticated though, think it just measures volume of air that’s been through rather than diagnosing anything.

Edit: Yes, I agree if that mileage is correct either Renault or, I think Knorr Bremse who actually make them for Renault, should be doing it on the house if the drier is kaput.

It was very common to get carbon deposits that could be cleaned away but since they’ve been more sophisticated and doing more than just drying air they seem more likely to be working or knacked with nothing in between.

Oooop missed a zero off the end!

No dash warnings, problem was spotted today on six weekly.

if it is still on the original air dryer, then, i would recommend changing it, and also checking out the compressor and the pipework

i know on some trucks, they recommend changing the compressor at 500,000KMs becasue it has worn out and causes issues such as this

II40086F

I think this is the part number (not guaranteed so will need to double check and satisfy yourself) for the Knorr Bremse (ie not Renault branded but they make them for Renault). You could then get an independent to fit it as well to save. Would guess if you sourced the part well you could get under £400 + half-ish day’s labour.

Big thank you all for the info, will let you know the outcome is.

My guess is that it will need a new air drier cartridge and maybe the blow-off-pipe, about a £100 job including parts and labour.

shuttlespanker:
check the compressor for pumping too much moisture down so that the air dryer can’t cope with it, check the pipe work between the compressor and the air dryer for excessive carbon build up, this will cause more moisture build up

the milky fluid will be the excess water coming out of the blow off exhaust valve

Spot on diagnosis - There is a customer care measure for vehicles up to 4 years old - Normally you only need to change the first couple of compressor pipes rather than the whole lot - Depending on the APM there are 2 repair kits for them - sometimes successful sometimes not :cry: They are quite dear so its a gamble.As the APM is an ecu in its own right it needs programmimg - We have had instances of aftermarket programming (Texa etc) putting a Frost warning defect on the dash that we cannot always over write.Any one that does their own maintenance there is now a secondary filter (sieve) to fit inside the APM.A lot are on recall
including yours Harry.Check with your dealer or give me the reg numbers if anyone runs any Magnums Premiums/Landers or Kerax - RECALL 1UJ takes minutes to do.

Steve

Steve

ramhead:
remove cartridge which will be left hand thread, so turn clockwise to undo (typical french)
with cartidge removed spray brake cleaner and blow out with airdrier
start engine and have on fast tickover and any crap will come out , when clear fit new airdrier cartridge

L.H thread stops people putting any old filter on it - Its a bit more than just an air dryer.

Steve

Steve, do you reprogram every time you change one out?

I knew the drier on them was ECU controlled but I would probably just disconnect the battery and swap it out, particularly if I was doing it at the side of the road, will this not work on these?

Own Account Driver:
Steve, do you reprogram every time you change one out?

I knew the drier on them was ECU controlled but I would probably just disconnect the battery and swap it out, particularly if I was doing it at the side of the road, will this not work on these?

If you just change the filter then you reset in on the dashboard - Access Experts then Maintenance then Air Dryer and rest it.
If you change the whole APM but aren’t in a position to re- programme it you would have to leave the electrics to the old APM so the vehicle starts.Of course with the power going to the old one and the air coming out of the new one every warning light and bleep under the sun will come.Quite a few people have done this then driven it in for us to programme Just pray you don’t have a mishap or get stopped on the way to the dealer :neutral_face:

Steve

Spent a lump of today on the phone trying to get a better price on this unit, but by the time i get some else to program there aint a great deal in it.

Having read all the above i have decided that this is a job for the dealer so into Renault at Reading bright and early Monday.

Had a new drier fitted to my '05 480 DXi before I put it on the road cost nearly £600+VAT + fitting/reprogramming.Main dealer storeman told me that the Magnum apms are supposed to have since gone up to almost £900 :open_mouth:

Best price i found for unit is £530.00 and that was a dealer price matching an independant supplier.