Maggie Dumpers

I have always loved the look and sound of these old Maggie dumpers. They were very popular in the north west highlands, where I originate from. Has anyone got any more pictures or stories?

T. Graveson of Carnforth and Priory Plant of Whalley ran quite a lot of these they were powered by (iirc) the v8 air cooled engine,the ones these firms used were the 6 wheeled drive type,brilliant for moving muck etc on site but for road work they were limited to I think about 12 ton payload due to the high unladen weight.They always look busy as far as design goes and quite a reliable truck. :slight_smile: :sunglasses:

Hi woodcutter, Wheelnut did a thread on here in 2007. just search for Magirus Deutz. Some pics etc on there of this model. regards, jack preston. :slight_smile:

John Jones Excavations from Hazel Grove,Stockport had a fleet of them,silver and blue,pictures are on another thread on here,quite an old thread,good hunting.

David

Posted by ovlov ages ago on the Manchester tipper thread.

there are a couple of those old maggie dumpers gently rusting away in elrick and gun’s yard on the kinlochbervie road . i wouldn’t put it past them to resurrect them should the need arise .

Stanfield:
Posted by ovlov ages ago on the Manchester tipper thread.

Hiya we sprayed these dumptucks up at jennings in the late 60,s we welded the plate for the name on the scow end also.
it must have cost a fortune at Jennings.
john

In Germany.

Thanks for all the reply’s, would be great to see some more pics. Just dumpers though.

I think that Netherwater Plant had a Maggie dumper working in a Peak District quarry but alas I have no pics of it of course!

Pete.

windrush:
I think that Netherwater Plant had a Maggie dumper working in a Peak District quarry but alas I have no pics of it of course!

Pete.

Stan used to run some on the road. One lad told me that he loaded wet bam sludge at Bamford on one with a scow end body. Stan told him to put some bales of straw on the scow end to stop the sludge coming out because there wasn’t a back door. The driver had to back all the way up Bradda dale to keep from losing any sludge !!! Just one of many of Stan’s good ideas.

woodcutter:
I have always loved the look and sound of these old Maggie dumpers. They were very popular in the north west highlands, where I originate from. Has anyone got any more pictures or stories?

Few from Yorkshire/Lancashire

Barry/Gloves

Magic Barry! Thanks for posting mate.

Cheers, Bruce.

If you like them so much here’s another one.