MacHayes International Transport

Just a quick pic of a motor my dad drove for MacHayes International Transport, from Forncett near Long Stratton near Norwich. The truck in the pic is the same one as is in the 111 Squadron book, ex Russell Davies motor 142 420. After the motor was sprayed it was given to my dad, this pic is taken on the day of the first trip in MacHayes colours. Trailer was loaded and going to Italy.
Dad had a 3 month old Iveco Turbostar and was given the Scania, even though it was 3 years older, dad was very happy to take it over :wink: If i remember rightly the fitter (the bosses son) put an extra set of spotlights in the bumper, clever bloke, also the bumper spoiler (a sunvisor put on upside down) and the lights on the roof.

Nice picture & not a Hi Vis in sight! :smiley:

Alex had some good motors but he was prone to explosive rants ,so I have heard.

Alec was a bit firey and he liked his pound of flesh, but he wouldnt ask you to do something he wouldnt do himself.

To-wards the end he used to get into uncontrollable rages. Did you know the the Manning brothers. Denis & Norman . They worked for Alec on his last knockings. I helped Alec’s drivers out twice on the road. One time was by the Gottard. The driver had put the cab up but couldn’t get it down. I pulled up ( I was working for a Swiss firm ) & sussed that his oil reservior on the pump was empty. He was stopped at a garage .Filled it up & got going. The other time I was working for an Italian firm & parked up behind Norman in the night. In the morning the battery was flat on his Magnum. I jump-started him & lent him my company phone to call Alec.

The upside down sunvisor was actually a genuine Scania option,part of the full deflector kit.

Very smart looking motors though.

Dont know the Manning brothers harry, my dad may, my uncle definatly would as he was there for around 20 years. Didnt know that Keith, was told by someone that it was a sunvisor, o well ,you learn something new every day!

kindle530:
Didnt know that Keith, was told by someone that it was a sunvisor, o well ,you learn something new every day!

You are right kindle it is a sunvisor but it came as part of the air kit fitted on the 2 and 3 series, Scania as usual trying to keep the parts bin to a minimum.

do you remember the carnyside brothers that drove for alec

Are you sure thats their name stephen, as thats similar to my surname, my dad and my uncle (obviously got the same surname!) drove for Alec, my dad (Mick)was there when they had 141s and 142s. My uncle (David) was basically there from start to finish.