M74 Accident

I don’t want to appear heartless but when I heard about the accident this morning on the radio at 8.30 I thought it would be cleared up by the time I would get there. Ha! Fat chance. Just got through the diversion at 14.00. Lost an hour.
obviously a fatal, but the van and lorry involved were still in situ and not a sign of any movement. That’s 5 1/2 hrs at least and no signs of getting the bloody road open.
Anyone know when it happened and are they going for some kind of record for standing about?
Obviously a tragedy for those involved but hows about hauling the wreckage to the side so we can get on?
6/7hrs is a sick joke. I reckon if a fatal occurs the authorities deem it unseemly to have the road open too quick…make a big diversion…close it off for 7hrs…mark of respect n all that.

Someones obviously dead then.Your inconveience is insignificant Im afraid lad

Apparently the vans stuck under rear or trailer speed possibly the factor as per usual.

A417 accidents, 3 car drivers died this morning on a 1/2 mile stretch of the A417 Crickley Hill, 2 seperate accidents hours apart but both involved cars in collisions with lorries, so far the roads been closed about 11 hrs altogether, it happens loads of times everyday in different parts of the country, M25 J23 - J25 was closed 3 times last week for overturned vehicles, another discussion on here earlier was asking why truck drivers are hated and wether we should care or not, I think we all should care about each other more, everytime you see one of these fatals you should toff ur hat and say there but for something else, that could of been me, and then give way to the next idiot gets in your way. One life … Live it
Really sorry it’s so long winded

cheekymonkey:
I don’t want to appear heartless but when I heard about the accident this morning on the radio at 8.30 I thought it would be cleared up by the time I would get there. Ha! Fat chance. Just got through the diversion at 14.00. Lost an hour.
obviously a fatal, but the van and lorry involved were still in situ and not a sign of any movement. That’s 5 1/2 hrs at least and no signs of getting the bloody road open.
Anyone know when it happened and are they going for some kind of record for standing about?
Obviously a tragedy for those involved but hows about hauling the wreckage to the side so we can get on?
6/7hrs is a sick joke. I reckon if a fatal occurs the authorities deem it unseemly to have the road open too quick…make a big diversion…close it off for 7hrs…mark of respect n all that.

To answer the question, the roads are closed in a fatal because a full investigation needs to be carried out at the scene. Depending on how many vehicles are involved/speeds/damage/position/bodies need to be photographed/all the blue light services need to attend/evidence needs to be bagged and tagged. As much information needs to be documented for the coroner who is responsible for conducting a post mortum (Spelling)? The most important aspect of any fatal crash scene is to gather all the correct information ready for the inquest, this is when the victims and family/friends turn up to listen how the accident happened, representatives of companies insurers attend too, they need to find out who’s at fault in the event of a payout, which could run into millions. That’s why the roads are closed for hours, if drivers thought about how their tailgating/speeding/etc etc etc etc affected others then MAYBE there would be fewer deaths? Oh, and as an after thought, until the Inquest has been heard then there is no death certificate issued, so if it was one of us then our families wouldn’t be able to claim on the Insurance policy until the Inquest was heard, and that might take over a year after the accident and whoever is deemed responsible for the crash, if we are responsible, the family might not be able to get any money from the insurance policy. (Leaving them in the doo dar). I’ve been to inquests in the past and once watched a woman in tears throughout the procedings while the details of how her wagon driver husband, left the pickup point, drove along the M1 and was killed by slamming into the back of a trailer some kn ob had stooped in lane two on a unlit stretch of Motorway. It took 5 hours to cut him free, she had to listen to every detail step by step how it happened and eventually led to a verdict of accidental death. It’s a sobering thought, that one in particular was heart wrenching and as result I advocate no tailgating and keeping shed loads of distance in front and will back off from (In my opinion) death wish drivers who sit 6 feet off my rear or pull in front too close. As far as I’m concerned, kill yourselves…leave me out of it.