M62 roadworks signage!

Anyone else getting increasingly frustrated by the inaccurate signs changing nightly on the m62 road works west yorkshire ? inaccurate info on which part is closed and when, leading to queues to exit on slip road when closed, signs on m1 north could advise and divert on m621. surely matrix signs are more use for this info than the usual " dont drive tired" or surface water slow down when youve driven in rain for two hours ? just a thought highways agency !

As an operator in a HA control room, I personally strive to make sure the information is set on the signs (signs & signals are a particular pet subject of mine) unfortunately there are one or two that either, forget, are too lazy, don’t think it’s their job. So it doesn’t always get done.
Therefore if you do spot problems with signs being either incorrect, or not at all, PLEASE call the HA information line 0300 123 5000. Try to be specific with the location & time (between junction numbers and direction is minimum, marker-posts are better)
I confirm that your complaint will be forwarded to the control room responsible and will be investigated, whoever was responsible for setting/ not setting them will be “reminded” and kept an eye on for future failings. If they go on failing, then remedial action will be taken.

I have to agree with Biffo, signs are a constant frustration to us on the road. Inaccurate signals are sometimes caused by the way the system sets them, so we are told, so change the system then?? I can assure you that nobody is more frustrated than us on the road, but it is not always the control operator’s fault ( it is sometimes!!). Signals for debris can be set for miles because the correct or exact location does not get reported, advanced signals for works closures can be set but due for other reasons the works schedule has changed but the control room has not been notified. I’m not trying to take blame away from the control room but the majority of the time, incorrect signals is not usually their fault.

Biffo, any chance of signs telling motorists to turn their head lights on in the rain/spray, even fog? So many dont seem to realise the safety this offers.

It seems only drivers of black and silver cars do not turn on their lights while getting dark,or in rain and fog.

rob22888:
Biffo, any chance of signs telling motorists to turn their head lights on in the rain/spray, even fog? So many dont seem to realise the safety this offers.

Yes and why are the majority of them silver cars with no lights, nigh on invisible in heavy spray.

The M42S was shut throughout the week 10 to 9 and later on 4 to 3A.The matrix informed us to follow the diversion, fair enough, but the one lane at 4 was open, it caused drivers to slow down and rethink, “What shall I Do ? Carry On ?”

It created confusion and at 3am when drivers are tired could lead to bigger problems.Matrix is ok as long as its accurate.

The times I,ve seen a reduced speed for nothing is quite frankly too often.

I agree timely and accurate information is crucial, for example, "Get those fe(king fog lights off, it ain’t foggy :grimacing: )

rob22888:

Me & Biffo have exchanged many emails on signals, settings & faults :smiling_imp:

These things are being looked at & there is push for change, but they tend to get the kibosh for various reasons & expediency when they get to the ‘political’ peeps in London :neutral_face: