M62 closure Goole area

Just heard from someone at work that M62 is at a crawl westbound out of Hull past Howden up to M18 junction.

Looking on HA website it seems the M62 is closed in both directions between J35 and 34 cos of an overturned tanker. You can’t get onto M62 west at the end of the M18, and you can’t get on eastbound at J34 Whitley Bridge.

Due to reopen at 3am it says

That’s 3 serious accidents in Yorkshire today which have involved hgv’s. I know we don’t know the causes but all the news ever say is "there’s been an accident involving 2 lorries and other vehicles. In my opinion this immediately portrays truck drivers in a bad light to the general public.

I went past the M18 one this morning and it looked like just a coming together between a truck and a few cars. However I’ve since heard a pedestrian which was involved in the initial collision has got out if his vehicle only to be struck by other vehicle(s).

Go careful out there lads and lasses. Is that phone call really so important that you have to answer and take your concentration off the road? Do you really need to reply to that text? I’m not saying this has caused the accidents but it is shocking to see the amount of “professional” hgv drivers flouting the mobile phone law. Is it a macho thing? I don’t know. Just think before you act!

Take it easy, safe journey!

I’m sitting on the m62 now, not moved since just after 5pm, Internet saying road not due to reopen til 3am, I’m only 10 mins from our yard :imp:

where you stuck?

about halfway between the 2 junctions. will the police turn the traffic around on the motorway if its not due to reopen til 3am??

no idea what the protocol is - probably just leave you parked up! suppose they’ve got to contend with a tanker crash, clean up, any carriageway/barrier repairs etc so it’s a big job

I got caught up in it going west. Luckily for me I was before the Goole turn off, so when the opportunity arose, I came off at Goole, and went through Camblesforth and into Selby, and back out on the A19 south to rejoin.

Now sat at home.

Ken.

Anybody know who’s tanker it was?? I know a few of the guys from Immingham who are regulars on that stretch of road.

What’s the deal with the M62? I haven’t driven on it for ten years, but it seems to be a daily feature on R2 traffic reports.

They’re upgrading to managed motorway for miles and miles round Manchester.

kevchalluk:
no idea what the protocol is - probably just leave you parked up! suppose they’ve got to contend with a tanker crash, clean up, any carriageway/barrier repairs etc so it’s a big job

After 3 1/2 hours sat there, we eventually got on the move, the police/highways opened a section of the central reservation and sent us back westbound, I was surprised they moved all cars and trucks at the same time, but it seemed to go well enough. I made it back to the yard 15 mins before my 15 hours were up.

coreysboys:
Anybody know who’s tanker it was?? I know a few of the guys from Immingham who are regulars on that stretch of road.

It was one of Imperial tankers, trailer turned over but the unit stayed on its feet

Took the Selby rd a63 and made goole for my night out no problem. Just hoping it’s open tomorrow for my trip back.

It caused the postponement of the Hull - Bradford Superleague game…is nothing sacred?

Yep i was caught in there luckily i was behind the traffic officers when they closed the junction at the A19 so went through snaith came back this morning down the M180 at 5am still shut lovely trip over woodhead

Just got back to Hull from Wolves v Leeds game and its still shut in both directions. Does anybody have any clue what was spilled?

Im guessing something highly corrosive and tozic given the legnth of the closure and both sides of the carriageway.

It was on the local news that one side will be open tonight, the other side tomorrow.

Ken.

more than likely sulphuric acid if its one of imperials

only eastbound is closed now, westbound reopened.