M62 Closed both ways Junction 21 to 22

On Monday the 8th of May 2015 an artic smashed through the central reservation and overturned closing the M62 motorway in both directions near Junction 21.

It happened at 08.15 and the westbound carriageway did not reopen until 4.00am the following day

Updates were available in the Manchester Evening News [/b]
M62 west a.jpg

One of ours right at the front (Mallinsons)

At 09.45 all the trapped Westbound traffic was turned around from the back and taken off at Junction 22.

Seems to be a lot of incidents around those junctions recently. Used to be 26-27 for the most mayhem.

Would the Trucknet CSI team explain what may have been the cause for this!? :smiley: :smiley:

Claretmac:
Would the Trucknet CSI team explain what may have been the cause for this!? :smiley: :smiley:

Been on the phone to the brother in law of the driver who works for us who’s truck is in the pic and have been told that the truck that has gone over had a front tyre blow out that’s what has caused him to go across to the other side but also that one or either 2 vans have gone into or are partly under the trailer and possible fatality.
The police have told our driver he can’t go anywhere yet and will be there until the road reopens.

Quite glad I’m not at work, knowing my luck I’d be stuck in that.

SteveBarnsleytrucker:

Claretmac:

have been told that the truck that has gone over had a front tyre blow out that’s what has caused him to go across to the other side

Having suffered a couple of front tyre blowouts at 56MPH and just gently drifted over to the hard shoulder and come to a stop, albeit needing a new set of trousers, its been a non incident otherwise so there’s no reason it has to result in something like this. If thats the case in this accident its probably more to do with the driver panicking and hitting the brake pedal. That’s almost guaranteed to see you go shooting off to one side.

Conor:

SteveBarnsleytrucker:

Claretmac:

have been told that the truck that has gone over had a front tyre blow out that’s what has caused him to go across to the other side

Having suffered a couple of front tyre blowouts at 56MPH and just gently drifted over to the hard shoulder and come to a stop, albeit needing a new set of trousers, its been a non incident otherwise so there’s no reason it has to result in something like this. If thats the case in this accident its probably more to do with the driver panicking and hitting the brake pedal. That’s almost guaranteed to see you go shooting off to one side.

I’ve never had it happen to me but I’m guessing the driver has panicked and his first instinct has been to hit the brake pedal and not allow the vehicle to come to a stop gradually?

Agree it has got to be down to panic and hitting the brakes hard. A blowout would usually mean a lot of noise and a rough ride but would soon slow to a stop puling the side that has blown out. Mine happen in a scania double decker Tri axle coach 76 passengers and luggage, coming out of Mont Blanc on the French side, extremely steep going downhill at 55mph and it was the front drivers side tyre but there was an initial loud bang which stopped my heart for a few beats and then a gentle slow to stop. Those were the days, it took the other driver and I 25 minutes to change the wheel and we were off again :smiley: No calls to DKV etc and a 4 hour wait for a 19yr old in a van :smiley:

but it don’t half scare the ■■■■ out of you initially. I had one go on the top of windy hill and by Christ it wakes you up.

Hiya…not actually the crash incident…one of my pet hates is drivers having hold of the the steering wheel
with one hand, sometimes just the bottom inside of the wheel…BANG WHATS…to late you cant grab the
wheel in that position…i know the 10 to10 past seems fuddy but it is the safest…i ve seen young ladies
doing 70mph+ with one finger at the inside bottom of the wheel. you stand no chance…i only ever had
one front blow out…i was just going into Barnstable with a 20 ton load of wet brewers grains, as i got to a
zebra crossing this young girl with a pram stepped out in front of me, i stopped no problem, then BANG.
it was a new tyre fitted days before but the valve was not centered properly, it wasn’t the tyre but the
same result. scared the living daylight out of me. that was 1974 and seemed like yesterday you never
forget one going bang.

Had an off side front blow out last year at 56mph fully loaded in lane 2.
None event just steered over on to hard shoulder and stopped as normal.

As regards M62 it did not reopen Westbound until 4.00am the following day[/b]

bc7K4.jpg
Manchester Evening news reported…
‘The lorry was carrying a load of 44 tonnes :confused: of butter which requires removal before the vehicle can be recovered.
A substantial diesel spill has also damaged the carriageway which will require resurfacing before the lanes affected can re-open’.

Claretmac:

because someone never told him he couldn`t park there driver :grimacing:

If there was ever a doubt that an extension on the m67 was needed it should have been eliminated today !!
Traffic on wood head queuing from a616 right through to mottram absolute ■■■■■■■■

3300John:
Hiya…not actually the crash incident…one of my pet hates is drivers having hold of the the steering wheel
with one hand, sometimes just the bottom inside of the wheel…BANG WHATS…to late you cant grab the
wheel in that position…i know the 10 to10 past seems fuddy but it is the safest…i ve seen young ladies
doing 70mph+ with one finger at the inside bottom of the wheel. you stand no chance…i only ever had
one front blow out…i was just going into Barnstable with a 20 ton load of wet brewers grains, as i got to a
zebra crossing this young girl with a pram stepped out in front of me, i stopped no problem, then BANG.
it was a new tyre fitted days before but the valve was not centered properly, it wasn’t the tyre but the
same result. scared the living daylight out of me. that was 1974 and seemed like yesterday you never
forget one going bang.

You talk a lot of sense.

1FLEETRENEGADE:
If there was ever a doubt that an extension on the m67 was needed it should have been eliminated today !!
Traffic on wood head queuing from a616 right through to mottram absolute ■■■■■■■■

Woodhead always suffers if anything happens on the 62, exaggerated more today as the snake pass is also closed.

The end of the M65 eastbound was also snarled up around Colne by all accounts as people sought an alternative. I’ve always thought that extending the M65 east towards Bradford & Leeds would be a great idea, not entirely sure which route would be best for it to take though without having to demolish lots of houses!

Newhey-001.JPG
This was the scene on the diversion with gridlock on the A640 Huddersfield Road in Newhey thanks to double parked cars further along the road.

2 hours from Flouch and I’m still not at Tintwhistle yet! Looks like Aldi Middleton ain’t getting their fresh chicken tonight! On the plus side the views are spectacular.