M6 Widening jct 5

I have just been listening to my local radio station. BBC WM, they were talking about the plans to widen the M6 from jct 5 to jct 7,to allow for hard shoulder running. The works are to start just after easter. It is costing £130 million to do. Some of the local residents are not to happy about the work. There was some MEP on as well saying that the M6 toll should be used instead of spending all this money on the widening scheme.

I wonder how much it would of cost to buy the M6 toll road, compared to the total cost of the widening scheme? Anyway more narrow lanes for the next year then!

The M6 around that area and esp where the M5 joins is usually a nightmare, even on a sunday afternoon Ive been caught up in it. Id welcome extra lanes but the roadworks will mean alot of disruption in the meantime

id love them to widen the section from junc 6 to 7 :slight_smile: as it would get rid of the bottle neck that seems to have occured after they finished the widening of junc 8 up to 10a

although I’d love to see how they plan to widen 5 to 6 how would they manage to fit the emergency laybys in as its an elevated section :smiley:

as for local residents moaning that’ll be my local useless counciller and his band of nimbys getting the bandwagon started :smiley:

Hiya …I think the toll should be on the falling down bit of m6 around jct5/7 to pay for the new road.
then open the new road up for free.Why make a extra lane? i was down the M1 before christmas
around Jct 10 to the M25 no vehicles go in the slow lane any more, they just use the 3 faster lanes
even trucks don’t go in the slow lane.so why lay more empty asphalt.
John

prdcb1:
I have just been listening to my local radio station. BBC WM, they were talking about the plans to widen the M6 from jct 5 to jct 7,to allow for hard shoulder running. The works are to start just after easter. It is costing £130 million to do. Some of the local residents are not to happy about the work. There was some MEP on as well saying that the M6 toll should be used instead of spending all this money on the widening scheme.

I wonder how much it would of cost to buy the M6 toll road, compared to the total cost of the widening scheme? Anyway more narrow lanes for the next year then!

A good idea and maybe less than £130 million. At the moment the M6 toll is a waste of space and causes congestion. Freeing the toll would pay for itself in saved journey times very quickly.

Even when the M6 is shut at night with traffic queueing right back to j12 folk still avoid the toll prefering to sit in the traffic jam.

pavaroti:
Even when the M6 is shut at night with traffic queueing right back to j12 folk still avoid the toll prefering to sit in the traffic jam.

Well more fool them :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

If your gaffer is stupid enough to not recognise the benefits of not wasting time and diesel more fool him. I use it in the car to :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

billybigrig:

pavaroti:

If your gaffer is stupid enough to not recognise the benefits of not wasting time and diesel more fool him. I use it in the car to :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Hiya…yes BUT its £10 for my motorhome and £20 if i have my trailer on… now thats a bit pricy to me.
when a artic is about £12…with the new varible speed through brum its not that bad
john

billybigrig:

pavaroti:

:open_mouth: My gaffer allows me to use it if traffics bad, i pay it with my keyfuels card, still a tenner though when i use it about midnight. A handy junction for me at Coleshill.

Keep the M6 Toll as it is, it would be madness to open it up to the cheap and tight arsed motorists. We would lose that smug feeling when bowling down it’s free flowing lanes knowing people are crawling along the old M6. :wink:

3300John:

billybigrig:

pavaroti:

Hiya…yes BUT its £10 for my motorhome and £20 if i have my trailer on… now thats a bit pricy to me.
when a artic is about £12…with the new varible speed through brum its not that bad
john

:open_mouth: Well that seems a bit unfair given you are not a business just a private individual.

Coffeeholic:
Keep the M6 Toll as it is, it would be madness to open it up to the cheap and tight arsed motorists. We would lose that smug feeling when bowling down it’s free flowing lanes knowing people are crawling along the old M6. :wink:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Keeps the riff raff of Norton Caines services too. you can always count on a space regardless of the time and a nice steady shift from Dover :smiley:

Coffeeholic:

I’ve used the toll once, by accident :blush: :blush: and it was nice and clear but doesn’t really suit me as I tend to come off on the M54. My point is that the Traffic Information screens as you approach Birmingham frequently tell lies about the M6 to the point where, even if the toll suited my journey plan, i wouldn’t use it because I think I’m being lied to.

I’ve travelled through there about ten times in the past year, each time its said “M6 congestion, use toll” yet I’ve not experienced more than 5mins delay on the old M6. people think they’re being lied to they won’t use it.

When it was £3 (in a car), I used it. That was before all the widening and traffic management.

£5.30 is a rip off though… Most companies I’ve worked for won’t pay for tolls anyway. (I’ve been sent from Bootle in Liverpool via Runcorn Bridge to Wallasey because they wouldn’t splash out for the tunnel toll…).

lankyphil:
When it was £3 (in a car), I used it. That was before all the widening and traffic management.

£5.30 is a rip off though… Most companies I’ve worked for won’t pay for tolls anyway. (I’ve been sent from Bootle in Liverpool via Runcorn Bridge to Wallasey because they wouldn’t splash out for the tunnel toll…).

Bet they moan about the price of diesel though :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

billybigrig:

lankyphil:

Bet they moan about the price of diesel though :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

You’d think so, we can’t work out why on earth but hey, if that’s what they want it us to do… :smiley:

hammer:

Coffeeholic:

I’ve used the toll once, by accident :blush: :blush: and it was nice and clear but doesn’t really suit me as I tend to come off on the M54. My point is that the Traffic Information screens as you approach Birmingham frequently tell lies about the M6 to the point where, even if the toll suited my journey plan, i wouldn’t use it because I think I’m being lied to.

I’ve travelled through there about ten times in the past year, each time its said “M6 congestion, use toll” yet I’ve not experienced more than 5mins delay on the old M6. people think they’re being lied to they won’t use it.

plus it always says “m6 toll clear” even when radio reports accidents or closures lol.

false advertising?