M6 Truck fire

Saw this on the M6 yesterday just noth of junction 18, which left the road closed for many hours. Does anyone know if anyone was hurt or what happened. I heard 2 trucks and one car were involved.

comments deleted by me (i hope) it was in retrospect in bad taste.
i apologise for my error

From the Manchester Evening News:

BANK holiday motorists were being advised to steer clear of the M6 in Cheshire following a fatal crash.

Three heavy goods vehicles and a Porsche Carrera were involved in the collision on the northbound carriageway between junction 18 at Holmes Chapel and junction 19 at Knutsford.

A 46-year-old HGV driver, from Lancaster, was pronounced dead by paramedics shortly after the crash.

Cheshire Police said a number of the vehicles caught fire, causing considerable damage to the road surface.

A spokeswoman said lanes one and two would remain closed but lane three had reopened.

She said: "Vehicles involved in the crash caught fire and the road surface needs to be assessed.

"It may be the case that the road will have to be re-surfaced. As a result we cannot say when all three lanes will be opened.

"As we head into the bank holiday weekend, congestion is already very severe and impacting on adjoining roads.

“We are strongly advising motorists to listen to traffic bulletins and consider alternative routes before they set off.”

The other HGV drivers - a 44-year-old man from Bolton and a 40-year-old man from Poland - and the Porsche driver, a 57-year-old man from Wirral, Merseyside - were not seriously hurt.

Alex

gezt:
didnt think it was safe to drive and take pictures with a camera ,unless of course you was in a left ■■■■■■ and your passenger was taking them :wink:

Sunglasses on boys the whiter than white brigade are out in force again :unamused:

:open_mouth: There is nothing left of that Scania cab… :open_mouth:

Scarab:
From the Manchester Evening News:

BANK holiday motorists were being advised to steer clear of the M6 in Cheshire following a fatal crash.

Three heavy goods vehicles and a Porsche Carrera were involved in the collision on the northbound carriageway between junction 18 at Holmes Chapel and junction 19 at Knutsford.

A 46-year-old HGV driver, from Lancaster, was pronounced dead by paramedics shortly after the crash.

Cheshire Police said a number of the vehicles caught fire, causing considerable damage to the road surface.

A spokeswoman said lanes one and two would remain closed but lane three had reopened.

She said: "Vehicles involved in the crash caught fire and the road surface needs to be assessed.

"It may be the case that the road will have to be re-surfaced. As a result we cannot say when all three lanes will be opened.

"As we head into the bank holiday weekend, congestion is already very severe and impacting on adjoining roads.

“We are strongly advising motorists to listen to traffic bulletins and consider alternative routes before they set off.”

The other HGV drivers - a 44-year-old man from Bolton and a 40-year-old man from Poland - and the Porsche driver, a 57-year-old man from Wirral, Merseyside - were not seriously hurt.

Alex

They seem more bothered/upset about the bloody road surface and the poor buggers being held up going to butlins or centreparcs (sp) than the loss of a life :angry:

Condolences to all the family and close friends of the lancaster driver, 46 FFS possibly has youngish children, the may bank holiday will never be the same for them again :frowning: :frowning: :frowning:

gezt:
didnt think it was safe to drive and take pictures with a camera ,unless of course you was in a left ■■■■■■ and your passenger was taking them :wink:

my camera is easier to operate than my indicators, grow up

I had a nighmare trip from Crewe to Teeside yesterday because of the M6 closure. But I felt really guilty for having a little moan about the trip after getting back and hearing that a Driver had died. Its hard to imagine what his family are going through this morning.

RIP

gezt:

if you look at the wink at the end you may realise that it was tounge in cheek comment and not a serious criticism so please dont have a pop at me for attempting to have a sense of humour even if its not to your taste

gezt:

gezt:

if you look at the wink at the end you may realise that it was tounge in cheek comment and not a serious criticism so please dont have a pop at me for attempting to have a sense of humour even if its not to your taste

Point taken :stuck_out_tongue: It was the red mist again, it clouded my computer screen and I missed the smiley :smiley:

no problem and thanks for the reply
and iam sorry to hear about the death of another driver :frowning:

gezt:

I dont think its to anyones taste gezt certainly not mine why would you try to inject humour into this of all threads, think before you type eh mate :wink:

when i posted the first post i didnt realise that someone had been killed in the accident.
i have now seen the rest of the post and unreservedly apologise to anyone who i may have caused offence to.
it was not my intention to make light of someones demise.

It was still being resurfaced at midday the next day. I tried to get on northbound at 18 but the junction was closed, I didnt know about the accident until later on. My thoughts are with the family of the deceased, what a terrible thing to happen.

NewBlood:
:shock: There is nothing left of that Scania cab… :open_mouth:

It does look very bad but often much of the “damage” is caused by the fire service cutting the vehicle apart to relased trapped occupants.

gezt:
when i posted the first post i didnt realise that someone had been killed in the accident.
i have now seen the rest of the post and unreservedly apologise to anyone who i may have caused offence to.
it was not my intention to make light of someones demise.

In all fairness to you gezt you did post your comment before the post quoting the outcome of the tragic event and in retrospect of that i too apologise for jumping down your throat maybe i should heed my own advice

Reef:
think before you type eh mate :wink:

:blush: :blush:

Sad News,

however I have always had a problem with truck design, the HSE wants us to wear fall arrest if climbing on the back of a trailer. We have strict rules regarding practices and working hours etc. and yet we all still drive milk carton cabs that fold to nothing on an impact and nothing is ever done. Now of course 44 tons hitting an immoveable object is only ever going to end up one way. But jesus christ how many trucks do they have to see crushed and drivers killed or seriously injured before more protection is provided and safety improved. Euro NCAP type tests don’t extend to commercial’s does that mean that accidents do not happen in them or the manufacturers and the HSE just don’t care.

If Formula 1 designers can make a car survivable after hitting a wall at 180 mph then surely someting could be done for us. But I suppose if we are safer in the cabs but the boss won’t buy it as he loses 200kg of load because of stress and crumple zones manufacturers will still do nothing.

Rant over!!! :imp:

with the weights involved i dont suppose its a walk in the park to make truck cabs accident proof■■?

you would be hard pressed to build something that will stand up to that kind of punishment, and still make it viable to build and sell

At the end of the day it comes down to weight and fuel ecomony, the new trucks are bad to say the least, imagine what would happen if they were built like tanks as well.

there is a simple fix for most if not all of these kind of accidents

KEEP YOUR DISTANCE

I know its not going to stop every accident going but how many times have you heard the tale of trucks running into the back of something big heavy and stationary, trucks were not designed to be sandwiched between to fully loaded trailers,

my thoughts go out to the families that get the news a loved one had died through something like this !

BRING INTO the UK
the same system that
is used by the germans
and also the harsh
punishment, and please
do not try and say that
the police will be makeing
a mistakes when some
one cuts in after overtakeing
THIS will not EFFECT THE
RECORDING BY ALL OF
THE CAMERAS USED