M6 Toll

I used the new toll road a couple of weeks ago, heading south, and decided to use the automated toll booth and pay by credit card.

It seems their vehicle recognition system needs a bit of work, as I got charged for a van at £5.00 - I was driving a 40 foot artic!

Been waiting for my CC statement to confirm this, and it’s only a fiver :slight_smile:

John Boy,

I’ve got a cheaper toll story. A few years ago travelling down to the then holiday home in France we went through the short toll section just south of Rouen. Only a chuck it in the basket job so having only a note I stopped before the barrier got out and went to the nearby booth to pay. Gave the man the note, received a load of change and got back in the car. Just then the barrier lifted so I drove on. As I did so I heard a cry of rage, kept going but looked in the mirror to see the driver of the car behind jumping up and down and waving his arms, behind the barrier. Just shrugged and kept going but soon realised what had happened. There was quite a distance between the basket and the barrier and I had pulled right to the limit unknowingly allowing the following car to pull as far as the basket. As I got back in the car he threw his money in opening the barrier while I, thinking I had paid, assumed the operator had opened it for me manually. The bar then came down after me but before him, forcing him to pay again I suppose. Only worked this out later when counting the change from the booth, exactly the same as the value of the note which the operator had changed to enable me to pay at the basket.

Kept going and well out of sight the next time we stopped!

Salut, David.

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

:smiley: That’s a cool story David!! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Few years ago in France, took a ticket from the peage just after Reims and headed for Lyon. At the peage before Lyon I drove up to the booth and presented my ticket and card to the operator who sat with their arms folded and refused to take it and just told me they were on strike and I could drive through. Barrier was up so off I went without having to pay. :smiley: :smiley: My mate who I was travelling with had gone to one of the automatic booths instead of the manned ones and, of course, that had taken his card and charged him. He wasn’t a happy bunny. :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: