M6 Toll My mistake

Last Monday, loaded out of Meriden to tip Nottingham, obvious route to take was M42, A42, M1 etc. However was in a little world of my own and instead of coming off the M42, to stay on it, if you know what i mean, I stayed over to the right and ended up on the toll road :blush: :blush: . Didnt fancy paying the £9, so didnt know what to do., Came off 1st exit, and came to the unmanned toll booths, pressed the assist button, and rather unexpectedly, a very helpful gentleman came out of his office to attend to me.

Told him what the problem was, where id come from where I was going to, and that the toll road was of no benefit to me whatsoever. He said that there was nothing he could do but logged my details and gave me a slip of paper with customer services number on it and told me to ring them.

He let me on my way without charging me, and I made me back to the A5 and Nottingham. Tipped the load, then phoned customer services, explained the scenario to them. After being put on hold a couple of times, the young lady informed me that the payment had been waived. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Will be very careful in the future when going in that direction, and from what I can gather sounds like it happens a lot. So if anyone else makes the same mistake as I did dont panic and everything will be :sunglasses:

i use the toll quite a bit.
when towing something big the traffic levels on there make it a lot easier…the toll booth staff are good too.
i attended a breakdown at the toll booth on the southbound side just past the booth…i approached from the northbound side and had to pay then exit athe next booth which is free to exit then turn round and head south then pay again to get to the truck…the girl in the booth gave me the receipts and a claim form which i sent off and was duly refunded.
and a lovely smooth road too.

A lot of it is to do with the signage. I grew up knowing byways and back roads all around where the Toll road now runs, but even I have diffuculty in deciding which roads are entry slip roads or not.

It is not uncommon for me to want to go from Hams Hall to the A5 through Cannock, and up to Gailey.

The last time I tried, I finished up having a sight-seeing tour around Sutton Coldfield, and then, because I hadn’t a clue where I was, ended up simply heading for Tamworth. :blush: :blush: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

The seems to be a conspiracy between the HA and the owners of the Toll road to generate revenue purely by virtue that routes that people have used for umpteen years are now unsigned.
:smiling_imp: :smiling_imp:

Krankee i do that Hams Hall to Cannock A5 route sometimes. It can be done but you’ve just got to really watch for the A5 signage at round-a-bouts.
(If unsure you know the old trick…go all the way around in the right lane looking for the exit you want, then on the next time around, take it)