M6 through Cumbria open 50 years

The M6 between Lancaster and Penrith opened 50 years ago today, can any of the forum veterans remember the trip between north and south before the motorway opened?
■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■ … -50-years/

BossHogg:
The M6 between Lancaster and Penrith opened 50 years ago today, can any of the forum veterans remember the trip between north and south before the motorway opened?
■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■ … -50-years/

One day around ten years ago, when I had some time to spare I came off the M6 and drove the A6 over Shap. To be honest it was no big deal although I did do it in the Summer and in a modern truck. I gather that back in the day it was a bit of a 'mare but back then drivers departing from east Kent early morning would expect to spend their first night out at South Mimms. So I guess a lot has changed.

I’ve done it during winter in a modern 4x4, it wasn’t a nice experience, I would imagine it was horrendous in the vehicles of the era. :open_mouth:

…and spent the night snowed in at the Jungle, or the church hall in Shap village, with the village residents providing food and drinks.

Used to go over A6 Shap with my Dad as a kid in a variety of Albions, Commers, BMCs, TKs, and an old split windscreen ERF…God knows how old that was, it was an old lorry even at that time.
Brakes weren’t to great on any of em coming down loaded. :smiley:

I remember the old Jungle Cafe with some drivers dressed in their old suits that used to be good once over, but now worn to work in, or bibs and braces,.Army greatcoats, and big old clogs…with the obligatory cloth cap. :smiley:

I still use it today if I’ve tipped at Kendal or somewhere, and it brings back a few memories .