M6 Roadworks J16 - 19

I’ve sent this enquiry to the contractors and LA. I’ll share any reply I get.

Hi

Today I had the pleasure of travelling through these roadworks and I have a few questions for you.

Why are you doing these works over such a long span. The work appears to be repetitive so why the need to do such a long section at once. Surely a 5 mile span instead of 17 miles would reduce accidents and breakdowns? I can’t see the logic behind this?

As I drove through these roadworks today I counted 26 people on the whole site. Why is there such a small labour force working on a huge motorway project?

Regards

Don’t bet on getting any sense out of them

Went through the 12 mile roadworks on M5 and counted less than 40. That included the guys standing by signs saying…Workers ahead so wait.

Wish the hard shoulder between 19 and 18 southbound had been repaired prior to starting the works. Run down with a decker Fri Sat Sun nights, frightened the life outta me, ended up sitting in middle lane till J18.

TomCrin:
As I drove through these roadworks today I counted 26 people on the whole site. Why is there such a small labour force working on a huge motorway project?

Regards

Its cabling. You don’t need many people to run cables and bore holes.

I got off at j16 the other day, my mate was just passing Sandbach services, I went up to Talke and did A34/A50 to Lymm. Beat him by almost 30 mins.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PaulNowak:
I got off at j16 the other day, my mate was just passing Sandbach services, I went up to Talke and did A34/A50 to Lymm. Beat him by almost 30 mins.

I used to use the A50 regularly when the inevitable accidents occured on that M6 stretch over the years, but how did you get through now as there is a wt limit through Holmes Chapel.?

Just a 2 min detour around H/C rob. Misspent my youth in that village, so there are ways and means

TomCrin:
I’ve sent this enquiry to the contractors and LA. I’ll share any reply I get.

Hi

Today I had the pleasure of travelling through these roadworks and I have a few questions for you.

Why are you doing these works over such a long span. The work appears to be repetitive so why the need to do such a long section at once. Surely a 5 mile span instead of 17 miles would reduce accidents and breakdowns? I can’t see the logic behind this?

Regards

You may get a reply from the site manager along the lines of …
‘‘We will arrange a meeting at/on … to discuss it, you can tell me how we should be doing it, and I will instruct you how to drive your truck’’ :bulb:

robroy:

PaulNowak:

I used to use the A50 regularly when the inevitable accidents occured on that M6 stretch over the years, but how did you get through now as there is a wt limit through Holmes Chapel.?

When you come into Holmes chapel @ the lights where you can’t go any further due to weight limit do a left (Chester road) as if your heading back to motorway then at the end in about 1/2 mile do a right (Middlewich road) carry on til you hit the mini roundabout,do a left to pick up the A50 again.

Tonight I drove through these, then up the M56, round the M60, and onto the M62 east, and through all of that about 5 miles of it weren’t roadworks - or at least it felt that way. It’s as if anything north of Northampton is one long narrow lane. I must’ve had at least 4 heroes miss my mirror by less than an inch!

Well folks, it isn’t going to get any better!

The M6 J16 - J19 is the latest bit that’s being upgraded to Smart Motorways. The intention is to continue up to J32 eventually, so it’s going to be awful for a very long time.The M62 east is just the same, when this part J8 M60 - J20 M62 is completed, the intention is to carry on across the top until it joins up with the Smart motorway at J26? M62.
You’ve also got the new link being built from J19 M6 to J7/8 M56 to cut out the rat race on the A556.
The new link to Heysham presently being built from J34 M6, should be open by the end of this month, so at least that’s good news.

So basically, if you’re coming to /going from the north west in this lifetime, you’re screwed! (unless from the north).

stevegm3:
Wish the hard shoulder between 19 and 18 southbound had been repaired prior to starting the works. Run down with a decker Fri Sat Sun nights, frightened the life outta me, ended up sitting in middle lane till J18.

Agree with you on that I did Northampton to Trafford park trunking double deck for two weeks last month hard shoulder is nasty my only god send was I was doing it in the day so never hit the limiter [emoji20][emoji379]

You can near enough halve the number of people you see working on a motorway, each machine needs an operator and spotter, sometime two.
:open_mouth:

So what has happened to the M6 between 13 and 16? They just not bothering with that?

Traveling across the M62/M60 at night can be an experience. So many cars weaving between lanes.

xichrisxi:

robroy:

PaulNowak:

When you come into Holmes chapel @ the lights where you can’t go any further due to weight limit do a left (Chester road) as if your heading back to motorway then at the end in about 1/2 mile do a right (Middlewich road) carry on til you hit the mini roundabout,do a left to pick up the A50 again.

Cheers Chris, I’ll make a note for next time.

robroy:

xichrisxi:

robroy:

PaulNowak:

Cheers Chris, I’ll make a note for next time.

That’s the route I do, but it’s as broad as long if you hang a right towards Congleton, then turn left and left again, that’ll bring you out at the George and Dragon roundabout.

Oh Lordy, I have gotten into a mess or three in there in my younger days.

Worked there from 17 to 20, and for such a posh village, God the women were absolute animals! (In a good way)

Moved out due to a promotion, which I tried to fight, in the end they threw so much money at me, I couldn’t say no.

PaulNowak:
So what has happened to the M6 between 13 and 16? They just not bothering with that?

13 to 15 is scheduled to start by March 2018, the only bit that doesn’t look to be changed to 4 lane running is 15 to 16.

That’s clever. Keele Bank and the one after it can grind to a halt on even a quiet day for absolutely no reason.