M6 Nortbound from J10

Why is it that the variable speed limits from J10 to the M54 M6 northbound are in operation most days i.e.: the limits go from 60 down to 40 only to be lifted just after the M54 when there is no apparent need.in my opinion this bunches traffic and is very frustrating when traffic is light and is more likely to cause accidents than prevent one.

It’s the same on the M25 where I am everyday, the ■■■■■■■■ in the control room have no ■■■■■■■ idea of the situations they cause, ■■■■ stupid, they need someone with a knowledge of transport to realise that they do nothing to alleviate any traffic problems, all they do is cause tailbacks for no reason, sorry if any of you inbred people on here work in the control room, but tough ■■■■, you cause me grief everyday for no reason, ■■■■■■■■■

Sapper

Bringlass tunnel on M4 at newport is another all ways at 50 mph no matter traffic flow

They probably have targets to meet for useage either daily, monthly etc. To justify the expense of the installation and the staff that monitor them.

I totall agree that they contribute to congestion as asapposed to elievieate it.

Agree with what you’re all saying though certainly never had that problem on M25 .

A journey south from Wigan on the M6 and M5 last Friday that should have taken 3 hours, took 7 hours, thanks to these stupid limits, and the “upgrade” to smart motorways.
My niece, on the same day, but travelling from west ■■■■■■■ took eight and a half hours for a trip which I used to do in four hours almost fifty years ago!
Truly great progress!