M6 lorry driver arrested

saw that carnage yesterday apparently hgv driver arrested on suspicion of dangerous driving OH DEAR :unamused:

CLICKY

heā€™s been bailed.
but it dosnā€™t say he is bailed to appear at a magistrates, or if he has to just report to a police station.

I wonder if it was this red wagon they are talking about?

youtube.com/watch?v=KspWgk0q6nY

I was stuck in the Q heading north when they shut it briefly for the choppers to land. It was a Garn artic, the Audi was mashed along with a few other cars strewn about the carriageway. The southbound carriageway was backed up for miles and miles. Dunno why they didnā€™t divert peeps on to the M69 heading north, better than just shutting it at J 2 as well as at J 1. There were still people joing the M6 south at junction 3 with people almost backed up on to the roundabout. Youā€™d have to be seriously thick to join the motorway when you can see itā€™s solid and about to back up on to the roundabout.

Alcpone:

What the ā– ā– ā– ā– ? :laughing:

Silver_Surfer:
Youā€™d have to be seriously thick to join the motorway when you can see itā€™s solid and about to back up on to the roundabout.

But their Sat Nav would be telling them to and you cannot defy the all powerful Sat Nav. :wink: :stuck_out_tongue:

Amen to that. I (in the voice of Victor Meldrew) ā€œcouldnā€™t believe itā€. Itā€™s a dual lane slip road at J3 and it was solid with stationary vehicles leading to the M6 with 3 lanes solid of stationary vehicles and the slip was backed up almost to the white lines of the roundabout exit and people were still joining the back of it! :laughing:

Coffeeholic:
CLICKY

Hmmmā€¦ M6S at Catthorpeā€¦ I wonder what couldā€™ve been the cause of this pile-up? :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

Silver_Surfer:
I was stuck in the Q heading north when they shut it briefly for the choppers to land. It was a Garn artic, the Audi was mashed along with a few other cars strewn about the carriageway. The southbound carriageway was backed up for miles and miles. Dunno why they didnā€™t divert peeps on to the M69 heading north, better than just shutting it at J 2 as well as at J 1. There were still people joing the M6 south at junction 3 with people almost backed up on to the roundabout. Youā€™d have to be seriously thick to join the motorway when you can see itā€™s solid and about to back up on to the roundabout.

We always shut at J2 which means the diversion routes are A46 or M69. Unfortunately numpties cant work out where to go so that leads to the build up of queues while they stop and question us about the best way to Bedford!! We cant just divert onto the M69 as not everyone wants to go that direction, must give the travelling public a choice!!
I did the closure at J1 as i was 2-1 when it happened. We close there to get the trapped traffic between J1 and the scene turned round quickly, well, as quick as possible anyway.

The last time i closed J3 sliproad i had a line of cars all asking if they could just go through as they had to get somewhere, try explaining that someone just suffered life changing injuries and they will be stuck in a queue of traffic for hours, makes no difference to them.

Mick.

Rob K:

Coffeeholic:
CLICKY

Hmmmā€¦ M6S at Catthorpeā€¦ I wonder what couldā€™ve been the cause of this pile-up? :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

Work starts there in the next few weeks, off motorway, then moves to the motorway around July, just in time for the summer crowds.

Mick.

oscardog:

Rob K:

Coffeeholic:
CLICKY

Work starts there in the next few weeks, off motorway, then moves to the motorway around July, just in time for the summer crowds.

Mick.

My point was that the vast majority of the accidents on that stretch and caused by cars and vans staying in lane 2 until the last minute and then trying to cut into non-existant gaps into the standing traffic. Imho as a short term ā€˜fixā€™ there, they should make lane 1 A14/M1N only, lane 2 A14/M1N/M1S and split it at the chevrons, and make lane 3 M1S only. What this does is allows trucks to use freely use lane 3 without having to worry about the idiots in front stomping on the brakes at the last second to try to get into a gap in the standing traffic. By making lane 2 an ā€˜either/orā€™ lane you are effectively doubling the capacity for the A14/M1N as well which will mean the traffic will flow a lot better. :bulb:

They did something similar on the M62E where it meets the M1. It used to back up for miles and suffer the same problem with everyone tearing down lane 2 until the chevrons and then trying to cut in. Now the traffic flows fine there even in peak periods.

RobK for Highways Road Planning Team! :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Alcpone:

um ā€¦wtf ā€¦i mean really ?

It was further back up the M6 than Cathorpe, it wasnā€™t the usual Q in lane one for the A14 and someone hammering the back of it. It was immediately just after J 1, may have been shennanigans with people joining the motorway at j 1.

I see what you are saying Highway man, I didnā€™t realise they could get off there, must have been the numpties working out which way to go holding the traffic up that was getting off at J2, I just thought they were stuck there, hell iā€™d go either way up the 69 or round the 46 just to get out of a Q. I think most people appreciate these closures are necessary and thereā€™s nothing anyone can do about it, I just canā€™t stand the rubber neckers who slow down on the opposite carriageway to get a good look, seen one, seen 'em all. :unamused:

I take it no one died, thatā€™s something anyway, iā€™d hate to have to turn up to the scene and help with the aftermath of one of these bad smashes, I bet firemen and paramedics have nightmares about it. I ainā€™t got the stomach for it.