M6 last night

northbound, up near Southwaite services…
car in lane 3 with every possible light on, doing 40 mph !!!
wouldn’t budge, cars swerving round him at the last second…
I stopped at the next roadside phone to inform Highways,
then I got going again , only to catch up to what was now a rolling roadblock with a bunch of drivers unsure about passing him because he was swerving into lane 2 occasionally…
so we continued up to j42 where a womble joined us and sat behind this car with all his lights flashing…
this continued up to j44 , still at 40 mph, where upon we were joined by an unmarked plod…
plod got right behind the car and lit all his lights up as well… just like Blackpool it was …
so we continued for another half mile until the offending driver must have realised someone wanted his attention…
then he stopped, in lane 3… plod got him out and one of them moved the car to the hard shoulder… and we all got going again…
shame really cos I would have loved to hear the explanation…

Did he look, drunk? ill? Or just old?

Casper68:

Judging by some I saw last Sunday night, just incompetent.

Casper68:

i didnt get to see… it was dark and a hundred yards or more in front of me when it all came to a stop…
my thoughts were, foreign, or drunk, or old and confused.

at least it all came to a controlled stop with nobody hurt…

but i must have been behind it for more than ten miles…

Similar thing happened to me on M6 around J12 ish. This included car bouncing off central reservation. I called police and informed them. Next a traffic cop rang me back asking for a few more details. That’s that I thought until 30 mins later traffic cop rang back to thank me as man was diabetic and was having an hypo. Said I may of saved his life by ringing them.

LASHHGV:
Similar thing happened to me on M6 around J12 ish. This included car bouncing off central reservation. I called police and informed them. Next a traffic cop rang me back asking for a few more details. That’s that I thought until 30 mins later traffic cop rang back to thank me as man was diabetic and was having an hypo. Said I may of saved his life by ringing them.

Good deed for the day… well done, that man… :smiley:

OP - store this number in your phone.

0300 123 5000

Saves having to stop to use the orange phones.

Tbh something like that should really be reported to the police… depending how serious it was

999 (High risk of causing an accident) or 101 if it is not too dangerous and they will never get round to it.

Casper68:

He was extremely tired, told to rest by police before continuing journey. :wink:

I already have the highways number stored in my phone,
But I thought it might be quicker and safer using the roadside one,
I could hardly hear the operator though.
and most of my night run is on the M74, so I am going to find out what number I might need for traffic scotland…

Trukkertone:
and most of my night run is on the M74, so I am going to find out what number I might need for traffic scotland…

When you pick up the handset on the SOS phone and get through to the operator, press the button with the green tick on it 3 times, that will turn up the volume to you.

The real Biffo:

Trukkertone:

When you pick up the handset on the SOS phone and get through to the operator, press the button with the green tick on it 3 times, that will turn up the volume to you.

Like.jpg

trubster:

0300 123 5000

Do you get through to a human being on that line? Or just get a recorded message? I called a Highways Agency line a while back (not sure if that one, but definitely one with a lot of zeroes) and I hung up when I didn’t get to talk to someone, or even a computerised menu, after about a minute.

IndigoJo:

trubster:

0300 123 5000

Do you get through to a human being on that line? Or just get a recorded message? I called a Highways Agency line a while back (not sure if that one, but definitely one with a lot of zeroes) and I hung up when I didn’t get to talk to someone, or even a computerised menu, after about a minute.

Yep, usually a human being, I’ve called it a few times to report debris on the motorway.

martinviking:

IndigoJo:

trubster:

0300 123 5000

Yep, usually a human being, I’ve called it a few times to report debris on the motorway.

have given up calling the wombles line as just get the answer machine just dial 999 quicker

trubster:

0300 123 5000

Tbh something like that should really be reported to the police… depending how serious it was

999 (High risk of causing an accident) or 101 if it is not too dangerous and they will never get round to it.

Could everyone here not make a list of ‘helpful’ numbers for everyone to jot down■■?

Trukkertone:
…I am going to find out what number I might need for traffic scotland…

According to Highways England, the Scottish number is 0800 028 1414 which I assume works the same way. Going to add both to my phone now.

Trukkertone:
so I am going to find out what number I might need for traffic scotland…

It’s the one on the big blue signs on every trunk road. :wink:

And 0800 calls are now free from mobiles, although I’ve called it quite a few times from the cab phone, usually to report dead deer on the road.
Although that’s to get traffic information or to report maintenance issues, if it’s someone driving dangerously you should call the police.

On the new style emergency phones you can increase the volume with the tick button.

They are the same as the phones on the Highways England network. :wink: