M6 J8/M5 split finally open

Opened back up yesterday about time too not bad considering was supposed to be May,J9 southbound also now back open.

Hopefully that’s the queue from 11 to 8 gone now :grimacing:

Guess we can dream - especially if your days begin and end around here! :wink:

I’d like to know why there is a signpost at Walsall that says for M5/M6 south follow A4148 when junction 10 is half mile away :unamused:

The A4148 is terrible and (I think a new roundabout) apart from side roads etc etc

Close j9 permanently and build an extra lane s/b, pointless junction.

bubsy06:

Can’t do that lol only takes me 5 mins to get to work using j9 lol

Daytrunker:

bubsy06:

Can’t do that lol only takes me 5 mins to get to work using j9 lol

:laughing: :laughing: use 10 or 7 pretty pleasseeeeeeee

I sailed down the M6 at 5pm yesterday…didn’t get below 50mph from J11 to J1…a much missed pleasure!

Daytrunker:
Opened back up yesterday about time too not bad considering was supposed to be May,J9 southbound also now back open.

Hopefully that’s the queue from 11 to 8 gone now :grimacing:

Don’t count your chickens. Lots of roadworks are being lifted this week for Xmas break and they’ll be back in full force in January.

Hopefully it will take some pressure off the junction 10 roundabout now. Took me 20 minutes to get round that gridlocked monstrosity a few weeks ago and that was 6am in the morning. :angry:

Trouble with the M6 in this part of the world, is it is an essential ‘short hop’ route for vehicles going from one nearby town to the other. The southbound has essentially been a no go in that aspect for months, as been more akin to a car park than a major through route. :open_mouth:

Just checked the Highways site and yes it’s FINISHED ! :open_mouth:

LIBERTY_GUY:
Hopefully it will take some pressure off the junction 10 roundabout now. Took me 20 minutes to get round that gridlocked monstrosity a few weeks ago and that was 6am in the morning. :angry:

Trouble with the M6 in this part of the world, is it is an essential ‘short hop’ route for vehicles going from one nearby town to the other. The southbound has essentially been a no go in that aspect for months, as been more akin to a car park than a major through route. :open_mouth:

Ban all the Brummies from using the M6, better still close all the on ramps, only allow people from Milton Keynes to use any junction. [emoji106]

LIBERTY_GUY:
Trouble with the M6 in this part of the world, is it is an essential ‘short hop’ route for vehicles going from one nearby town to the other.

I read an article on traffic jams once that suggested junction hopping is a major cause of congestion on motorways. If all you’re doing is going a junction or two down the motorway it’s likely that using local roads would be just as quick if not quicker given the congestion on some motorways.

I often travel into Birmingham from my house. It’s 13 mile down the M6 from my house to where I always park but only 9 mile down local roads. Either route takes me approx 25 minutes. Coming back has, on occasion, took me over an hour when using the M6. Local roads are always preferable at rush hour times.

The problem with the M6 near the M5 is that the junctions are too close together. J9 is too close to the M5 and J8/J7 are practically the same junction. The M5 north onto the M6 cannot be widened so that’s a never ending saga.

The only real option is to send all long distance traffic down the toll road. I won’t be holding my breath on that one though.

Still, could be worse. It could be the M60 :unamused:

Terry T:

LIBERTY_GUY:
Trouble with the M6 in this part of the world, is it is an essential ‘short hop’ route for vehicles going from one nearby town to the other.

I read an article on traffic jams once that suggested junction hopping is a major cause of congestion on motorways. If all you’re doing is going a junction or two down the motorway it’s likely that using local roads would be just as quick if not quicker given the congestion on some motorways.

I often travel into Birmingham from my house. It’s 13 mile down the M6 from my house to where I always park but only 9 mile down local roads. Either route takes me approx 25 minutes. Coming back has, on occasion, took me over an hour when using the M6. Local roads are always preferable at rush hour times.

The problem with the M6 near the M5 is that the junctions are too close together. J9 is too close to the M5 and J8/J7 are practically the same junction. The M5 north onto the M6 cannot be widened so that’s a never ending saga.

The only real option is to send all long distance traffic down the toll road. I won’t be holding my breath on that one though.

Still, could be worse. It could be the M60 :unamused:

or the m25 :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Coming to a motorway near you in 2018. Junction 10 upgrade.

tinyurl.com/hl6mtfn

martinviking:

LIBERTY_GUY:

Ban all the Brummies from using the M6, better still close all the on ramps, only allow people from Milton Keynes to use any junction. [emoji106]

use the M6 toll if youve got a problem ,thats what its there for,we dont want your sort on the M6 in the west midlands
sick of this regional xenophobia

but the 10a-13 has been put back to ‘early 2016’ instead of autumn 2015 !!! :blush:

Villa. How will you be getting to the Molyneux next season to play the Wolves. Down the M6 to J10 or cut down the A4123 :smiley: :smiley:

villa:

martinviking:

LIBERTY_GUY:

use the M6 toll if youve got a problem ,thats what its there for,we dont want your sort on the M6 in the west midlands
sick of this regional xenophobia

What ! & pay for the privilege, no way Hosay’ [emoji6]

Work is indeed officially ‘completed’ but Junction 9 will be closed again for a ‘few’ nights in January to complete ‘snagging’ work?

Probably be 'till Easter then!!! :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:

[quote

sick of this regional xenophobia[/quote]
What ! & pay for the privilege, no way Hosay’ [emoji6]
[/quote]
My employers (who aren’t known for chucking their money about) tell us to use the toll road because the toll charge is more than offset by reduced fuel costs, journey time and increased productivity.