M6, J20 -J19 both directions,

twitter.com/HighwaysNWEST/statu … 93344?s=04 HGV gone through the central res barriers inside the roadworks, 2 lanes closed in both directions.

j20 - J19.jpg

Seen on the matrix down by MK there was long delays. I just thought seems normal nowadays for that stretch

Queues supposedly back to Jnc 16 @ Stoke heading North over 2 hr delays
and over Thelwall heading south to accident close to jnc 19

Looks like the new concrete central res may have prevented a full crossover unlike the bad one in September on the M5 near Gloucester

Got lucky. Came through Holmes Chapel from Congleton around 1.30 ish, highways womble had blocked off the slip at J18 N/bound, so I nipped through Middlewich & Northwich to get back to the yard.

Feels weird finishing between 1 pm and 3 pm every day, these own account jobs are very good indeed, who knew? :open_mouth: :grimacing:

eagerbeaver:
Got lucky. Came through Holmes Chapel from Congleton around 1.30 ish, highways womble had blocked off the slip at J18 N/bound, so I nipped through Middlewich & Northwich to get back to the yard.

Feels weird finishing between 1 pm and 3 pm every day, these own account jobs are very good indeed, who knew? :open_mouth: :grimacing:

:smiley:

double post, can’t delete it

NW Motorway Police on Twitter
“M6 SB 2 lanes closed SB at scene @HighwaysNWEST working to get a second lane open. NB will be opening lane 1 shortly. J19 diversion via the A556 to M56 is an alternative route. Delays in the area. @cheshirepolice
TWITTER.COM

Am a bit concerned about the way those barriers move, thought they were designed to contain any crash on one side? Now we got a lot of concrete on the opposite carriageway to cause a major accident that side.

That stretch wants some serious policing until those roadworks are sorted.
I come back up that way every Saturday, and it’s a complete cluster ■■■■ of crap driving.
Centre lane hogging at a 35 mph by a long procession of cars.
Thus causing undertaking, and not to put too fine a point on it tailgating artics.
Not surprised in the least that it regularly goes ■■■■ up.

According to Wikipedia the first opened stretch of motorway was the M6 Preston bypass, but as that was only just over 8 miles long let’s ignore that for now. The first “real” motorway was the 60 odd mile stretch of M1 that took NINETEEN MONTHS to build from scratch, that’s right, 19 months!

Motorists of all types have proven time and time again that they cannot cope with roadworks, so surely the answer is to accept the accidents but just get the workers to bloody well hurry up! “My Daddy works here”, don’t make me laugh, no bugger works here! :imp:

trevHCS:
Am a bit concerned about the way those barriers move, thought they were designed to contain any crash on one side? Now we got a lot of concrete on the opposite carriageway to cause a major accident that side.

I guess they kept the truck on its side of the road though - when struck by a wagon, the old metal barriers ripped apart like the finish line tape at a running race.

As for the concrete blocks, they’d certainly write off any vehicle that struck them, but they will slide along the carriageway to an extent when struck, and the occupants would probably stand a better chance than if they struck a wagon moving toward them at speed and across all lanes of the carriageway.

I think am right in saying that the continuous pour type concrete barrier has steel cables running through it but I could be wrong.

No doubt somebody will be along to comment on that.

Yes, it might have stopped the truck from crossing over but it’s hardly ideal having large blocks in the other carriageway as has been said.

Is it not possible to build a central reservation that will contain an accident on one side?

Probably is possible but maybe costly. At least all the construction firms will be able to upgrade all the central reservations in ten years time after a big accident in order to keep the gravy train flowing.

I’m of the opinion that we should invite Japanese companies over here to tender for contracts using their own staff and health and safety rules. They could live in encampments and bring their own equipment.

The barrier almost looks flexible in this photo

Judehamish:
Is it not possible to build a central reservation that will contain an accident on one side?

Probably is possible but maybe costly. At least all the construction firms will be able to upgrade all the central reservations in ten years time after a big accident in order to keep the gravy train flowing.

I’m of the opinion that we should invite Japanese companies over here to tender for contracts using their own staff and health and safety rules. They could live in encampments and bring their own equipment.

Or maybe the bone idle pricks could stop dragging the arse out of the job, and get the f**k on with it :bulb:

Socketset:
I think am right in saying that the continuous pour type concrete barrier has steel cables running through it but I could be wrong.

No doubt somebody will be along to comment

It doesn’t. It’s called Extrudakerb and it’s a PITA to do.
Some info here extrudakerb.com/

So what’s this? A front blow out?

They were still working at the scene this morning when I came past around 0130.

Feel sorry for anyone involved in the traffic chaos that no doubt ensued.

the maoster:
According to Wikipedia the first opened stretch of motorway was the M6 Preston bypass, but as that was only just over 8 miles long let’s ignore that for now. The first “real” motorway was the 60 odd mile stretch of M1 that took NINETEEN MONTHS to build from scratch, that’s right, 19 months!

Motorists of all types have proven time and time again that they cannot cope with roadworks, so surely the answer is to accept the accidents but just get the workers to bloody well hurry up! “My Daddy works here”, don’t make me laugh, no bugger works here! :imp:

I know they say it makes it overall more efficient or quicker or whatever to put road works on huge stretches at a time, but if they did say 2 miles at a time and leave the rest as normal, ok they say it would then take longer and cost more but surely that would be better for everyone to not have a couple of miles to get through rather than 19 miles of it with no one working. I think motorists would get far less frustrated then and be more happy to sit there and be safer.

After being stuck in this section for two hours over a year ago I wrote to the Highways Agency after counting 22 workers on this 17 mile stretch. I suggested that the work was repetitive and could be broken up into smaller chunks to help. Also having three live lanes going into the works was risky as the queuing from braking vehicles caused older vehicles to overheat and stop with no hard shoulder. I also suggested that the speed limit be reduced to 40, with strictly enforced limits previous of 60 then 50 and then 40 to stop people driving up to the first camera, braking and causing the ripple effect thence queuing and stopping. They wrote back talking about how many machines they had on site.