M6 J10-9 Approx 3.30am 3/4/14

Heading off to London this morning, get on the M6, as I’m passing Hilton Park services, see a HATO, coming out of the exit, after about half a mile he sticks his beacons on, even though I can see the traffic in front of him flowing freely.

Bangs on his “Don’t Pass” sign, and starts weaving across all 3 lanes, As we come to the entry slip at J10, a Sprinter van emerges from the hard shoulder in front of him and he brings us all to a halt pretty much halfway between J10 and J9.

Jumps out of his motor to inform us that they just need to fill in a pot hole and it’ll take about 2 minutes.

“Yeah yeah I think to myself, another early start wasted”

But after checking my tacho later, I was actually stationary for 3 minutes.

Back to the topic, what the blazes are they putting in pot holes that a fully laden HGV can drive over it within 1 minute of the a Sprinter leaving the scene? Answers on a postcard please.

My suggestions are,

SAND
COLD CHIPS
URINE
TRAINERS FROM THE CENTRAL RESERVATION
FRESH AIR
etc etc etc

I was in lane 2, which is the one they were “working” on. There were no holes, but no dark traces indicating a repair either.

If every pothole on our motorway network can be fixed that quickly, why do we have any at all?

They use a ready mixed tarmac stuff, you can buy it in DIY stores etc. Put in hole, tamp in hard with proddy thing and voila. Its not a permanant fix but fills the hole for a while till it can be done properly

But 3 minutes?

They probably use this stuff:

instarmac.co.uk/product.jsp?productID=34

NOVE:
But 3 minutes?

Obviously a slower more inexperienced crew :grimacing:

I put this viewtopic.php?f=2&t=112068 on the other day.

Expansion joints are a pain in the ■■■,
Done 1 previously on an intersection where they had 2 patch a couple of times a day, all traffic stopped, leaf blower to blast the water out of the hole, instarmac in and tamped off then traffic released.

1st trucker in the queue moaned like ■■■■ he nearly arse ended the car in front of him even though matrix were set 3 miles back to 50 then 20 thinking it was a scam :unamused:

Don’t start me on Instarmac. If I had a pound for every orange Scania that has pulled out on me to drop me down to about 52, I could fund the repair of every pothole out there.

NOVE:
Don’t start me on Instarmac. If I had a pound for every orange Scania that has pulled out on me to drop me down to about 52, I could fund the repair of every pothole out there.

They must have only recently put their own fleet on the road cos it used to get delivered through pallex. Only occasionally deliver their stuff now.

Seen loads of their Scania rigid curtainsiders all over the place. All spotless, but slow as the f word. At least Wisemans and Holland and Barrett keep out of your way

You should see the pot hole just before you hit junction 7 southbound, its in the white line of lane 1 and the hold shoulder, look out for it as it would easily cause a blow-out thats if it hasn’t been repaired, you can’t miss it

damoq:

NOVE:

They must have only recently put their own fleet on the road cos it used to get delivered through pallex. Only occasionally deliver their stuff now.

They’ve had their stuff delivered through virtually every pallet network out there. We used to handle it through Pallet Track when I worked for CFT, and we lost it to one of the other networks after a while because of damages. Oddly enough, it now comes through the company I work for at the moment, and we’ve just had four pallets come in on one of the trunks all tipped inwards on the trailer, even though they were strapped in and supported on each side by other pallets. Their own lorries have a fence down the middle of the bed to prevent this happening, but it doesn’t seem to occur to them that this won’t be the case with pallet networks …