M6 closing this week at junction 36-37

Does anyone know what the diversion is and if it’s suitable for double deck trailers when the M6 is closed at junction 36 southbound, I’ve looked at the map and can’t see any suitable routes.

At a guess off at jct 39,down the A6 into Kendal out the other side on the A591 >A590 picking up the M6 @ j36

What day and what time?

Official diversion will likely say come off at J37, but that’s really not suitable for an arctic and pretty sure when you hit Kendal you’ll run into two low bridges and a 7.5T limit. J39 would seem a better option as it’s much straighter and not really any further overall plus non of those problems.

When you hit Kendal, just keep going straight under the railway bridge (not height restricted), keeping left go over the river and then follow the one way system round keeping to the left lanes (due to road closures).

You’ll go over a stone bridge, then have the river on your right for about a mile. Keep in the left lane. Eventually the signs will likely tell you to turn right over another stone bridge - personally I wouldn’t as it’s got a very tight turn the other side and lots of problems with badly parked cars too.

Instead you can keep straight on (left lane), passed “K Village” outlet shop (big beige building), passed a Shell garage and onto a roundabout. Turn right at the roundabout and cross the river over a proper metal bridge. At the end of the road, turn left and then just head out of Kendal and onto the bypass up to the M6 J36.

Kendal has quite a few road closures currently due to bridges being unstable and various bits getting flooded, so despite what the sat nav might say, other routes through the town probably aren’t really an option.

rorymotorbiker:
Does anyone know what the diversion is and if it’s suitable for double deck trailers when the M6 is closed at junction 36 southbound, I’ve looked at the map and can’t see any suitable routes.

if its closed at 36 s/bound you would have to go a 590 towards barrow,then take a6 southbound through milnthorpe,stick on a6 through to carnforth j 35…no low bridges that I can bring to mind.

I’ll check when I get in this afternoon, but normally if there is a closure J36 - J37, or J38, they usually close between J36 - J39 due to the roads feeding J37 & J38 not being major routes, and them having restrictions for HGV’s in one way or another, where-as J39 - J36 takes you over Shap on the A6. Unfortunately I don’t think the Jungle cafe is there any more, unless you know different?

robroy:
What day and what time?

Anybody?? :neutral_face:

The real Biffo:
I’ll check when I get in this afternoon, but normally if there is a closure J36 - J37, or J38, they usually close between J36 - J39 due to the roads feeding J37 & J38 not being major routes, and them having restrictions for HGV’s in one way or another, where-as J39 - J36 takes you over Shap on the A6. Unfortunately I don’t think the Jungle cafe is there any more, unless you know different?

I concur that the roads into Kendal from both J38 and 37 are most definitely not suitable for wagons or poor drivers :astonished: . They’re narrow, twisty and very steep in places and you’ll struggle to get above 30 for the most part. Definitely use J39 if coming south - it’s a decent road with the first and end half all doable on the limiter and the bit in between a steady 40 through the sweeping bends. It’s only 15 mins from J39 into Kendal if you don’t get stuck behind something.

robroy:
What day and what time?

According to Highways agency web site, there might be one lane shut for repairs but nothing about the whole road being closed. There’ll be 2 lanes closed on the 21st March too, but again doesn’t sound like it’ll be total closure and that’s listed as northbound. Can’t imagine they’d put in an HGV only road closure especially with the alternatives.

This assumes the powers that be who control the web site are upto date with all things northern. Maybe Boss Hogg will know if he’s around?

trevHCS:

robroy:
What day and what time?

According to Highways agency web site, there might be one lane shut for repairs but nothing about the whole road being closed. There’ll be 2 lanes closed on the 21st March too, but again doesn’t sound like it’ll be total closure and that’s listed as northbound. Can’t imagine they’d put in an HGV only road closure especially with the alternatives.

This assumes the powers that be who control the web site are upto date with all things northern. Maybe Boss Hogg will know if he’s around?

Thanks for that mate. :wink:

I’m on my way to work, I’ll check and let you know. :wink:

Speaking to our control as I type to get a definitive answer. :wink:

Right, these roadworks are for resurfacing, the hard shoulder has already been done, as has bridge barrier replacement. There will be a full closure from junction 36-35 southbound between 2000hrs and 0600hrs 1st/2nd/3rd March (3 nights) and 2000hrs and 0600hrs 10th/11th/12th March (3 nights) These roadworks are to enable resurfacing, and road markings/road studs to be replaced. They are also subject to the weather. A signed diversion will be in place. For any further details, feel free to contact our information line on 0300 123 5000. :wink:

Carl Usher:

The real Biffo:

I concur that the roads into Kendal from both J38 and 37 are most definitely not suitable for wagons or poor drivers :astonished: . They’re narrow, twisty and very steep in places and you’ll struggle to get above 30 for the most part. Definitely use J39 if coming south - it’s a decent road with the first and end half all doable on the limiter and the bit in between a steady 40 through the sweeping bends. It’s only 15 mins from J39 into Kendal if you don’t get stuck behind something.

Agree as well having come off at j37 last week to go into kendal with a 40ft it’s not funny took me thro past houses into blackhall road needed to go back to Carlisle so went down to j36 and back up the m6.

BossHogg:
Right, these roadworks are for resurfacing, the hard shoulder has already been done, as has bridge barrier replacement. There will be a full closure from junction 36-35 southbound between 2000hrs and 0600hrs 1st/2nd/3rd March (3 nights) and 2000hrs and 0600hrs 10th/11th/12th March (3 nights) These roadworks are to enable resurfacing, and road markings/road studs to be replaced. They are also subject to the weather. A signed diversion will be in place. For any further details, feel free to contact our information line on 0300 123 5000. :wink:

Ballicks,
Be heading south down to Tipton from the boat tonight about 4am.[emoji26]

BossHogg:
A signed diversion will be in place.

Out of interest, will there be different diversions for large vehicles and everything else? Really not sure, for the reasons mentioned here, that we’d want arctics going off at J37…could be fun especially with that 90% corner on a very steep hill.

Boss Hogg, do you also provide road closure and traffic information for other areas of the country…only for Trucknet members of course? :wink:

Daytrunker - wouldn’t be surprised if it took you through the Sandylands housing estate (loads and loads of speed bumps) else you’d hit two low bridges. Blackwell Road isn’t ideal especially as you’d need to go up the steep hill (Windermere Road), which is why I’d recommend anyone else use the left lane and over the stone bridge to keep the river on the right (Aynam Road).

Essentially personally I’d use:

• J39 to Kendal
  • Under railway bridge, passed county hotel and over river.
  • Left & right bends then keep in left lane (avoids Blackwell Road).
  • Over stone bridge and keep river on the right (Aynam Road).
  • Ignore next stone bridge and continue in left lane onto Lound Road.
  • Get to roundabout, turn right (3rd exit) just passed Kirkby Kendal school.
  • Back over river on Romney Road and turn left at the end.
  • Follow road (A6 / Milnthorpe Road) out of Kendal keeping left and it’ll go to J36.

Hope that helps any lost truckers navigate the complexities of Kendal’s weird and wonderful traffic system. If they took out one of the low bridges (any volunteers?) the process would be sooo much easier!

trevHCS:

BossHogg:
A signed diversion will be in place.

Out of interest, will there be different diversions for large vehicles and everything else? Really not sure, for the reasons mentioned here, that we’d want arctics going off at J37…could be fun especially with that 90% corner on a very steep hill.

Boss Hogg, do you also provide road closure and traffic information for other areas of the country…only for Trucknet members of course? :wink:

I’m not sure where the diversion routes will be, we normally take heavies off at 39, I only had the information for this closure as it’s my patch, I can’t help with other areas I’m afraid, apart from advising that you contact our information line on 0300 123 5000. :wink:

Wasn’t shut at all lads,
Near whole way down M6 on limiter to Tipton,
think I was dreaming! !!!

I did say it was subject to the weather, last night snow was forecast so it didn’t happen. :wink: