M6, Bloody Matrix Signs

Rhythm Thief:

moomooland:
They knew there was two big Premier League football games in the Northwest what do they do close the M6 South at Junction 14 at 10pm when all the football traffic is heading back South from 10.30 onwards.

I passed Junction 14 heading North at 1am and the tail back of three lanes of standing traffic tailed back five miles at 1’oclock in the morning.

Oh, so that’s what it was … I wasn’t stuck in it myself but I had a call from the other night guy at 1 ish saying he was queueing from the exit to Stafford services and expecting to be there for a couple of hours. Fortunately, not long after he’d spoken to me, some coppers turned up and got everything moving again.

Anyone in their right mind would have know that 2 numbers drawn from a hat for the football result would have been enough …

Same for me a few weeks ago. I was coming back from Preston and my dad from Gretna but he was way ahead of me. As he hit Stafford he said the signs were saying the M6 was closed at 14 from 10pm. I hit Thelwall around that time and all the signs were saying Catthorpe was closed, no mention of anything at Stafford. Every matrix sign from then on just had the Catthorpe info on it until I got to Stoke, then I saw the sign my dad had obviously seen, shut at 14 from 10pm. Then I saw a sign saying To J8 - 35 mins.

I went for it and sailed straight through. I wonder how many poor saps took the 34 and 449 down to J13. Morons :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

toby1234abc:
Why not run over the dog.Job done.Road open.No delays.No cost.

When I saw the signs saying animals on carriageway I expected horses or cows, was quite strange when we started moving to see a copper stood on the hard shoulder with somebody’s labrador.

Not sure why, or how, 4 lanes of traffic came to a halt for a dog. Police didn’t turn up until I’d been sat stationary for 10 mins so it wasn’t as though they’d stopped the traffic

Trukkertone:
and listen to a recorded message for ten minutes before you get through to a chimp ■■?
waste of a phone call.

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

toby1234abc:

+1

urbanfox:

toby1234abc:

When I saw the signs saying animals on carriageway I expected horses or cows, was quite strange when we started moving to see a copper stood on the hard shoulder with somebody’s labrador.

Not sure why, or how, 4 lanes of traffic came to a halt for a dog. Police didn’t turn up until I’d been sat stationary for 10 mins so it wasn’t as though they’d stopped the traffic

Did the Copper have a White Stick ?
Perhaps he was lost & should have been Policing Blind People in the town :wink:

nick2008:

Kevwall:
They ■■■■ me off when they set at 40 then the next ones you see half a mile down the road are set at 60 then the next 40, grinds me down !

M42 60 . 50 . 40 . 20 :open_mouth: wtf oh its because of the slip road :unamused: :unamused: 50 . 60 . :confused:

On that 1, it usually still shows 40 in the middle lane, so I always move over.

Never sure if they have camera’s, so don’t want to speed through the 20 one but don’t want to slow down to 20 either - especially fully freighted :imp:

Also, why traffic lights on roundabouts at night??

How much fuel is wasted, and how much ‘carbon footprint’ created (yeah right eh??) because of such stupidity. I’m against 90% of traffic lights at night anyway, but the ones on roundabouts are super stupid :imp:

waynedl:

How much fuel is wasted, and how much ‘carbon footprint’ created (yeah right eh??) because of such stupidity. I’m against 90% of traffic lights at night anyway, but the ones on roundabouts are super stupid :imp:

With you there, brother. The ones where I live seem to change to red as you approach them, so you stop. Then nothing comes through the other way while you sit with your engine idling. Then the lights change to green, and off you go, using a lot of fuel to lift your fully freighted double deck trailer back up to cruising speed through the gears and also making a lot of noise and pollution in a residential area.
Why not just leave the lights on green for the main route? Or better still, turn the things off at night? I’d write to someone about it if I knew who to write to.

waynedl:

Already asked the questions, you may as well smack your head on a wall

Rhythm Thief:
Or better still, turn the things off at night? I’d write to someone about it if I knew who to write to.

I was an extremely stupid OD lorry driver once constantly sat in traffic and thought I know I’ll go and join the HA and sort it :laughing:

See quote above about smacking head on wall for my answer :neutral_face: :grimacing:

There are times I wish I was still sat in traffic making big money rather than earning peanuts trying to make a difference :frowning:

Ok Guys, the 40/60/40/End situation is set automatically by a system called MIDAS. In theory it detects a slow down in traffic passing over sensors in road and sets speeds further back, theory being you slow down slightly but keep moving just at a lower speed. Each of the RCC (Regional Control Centres) have no control over cancelling these as I’ve asked many times for them to be cancelled.
The M6 overnight closure 14-13 is not on my area but as these are long term ongoing works they are set by the NTCC (National Traffic Control Centre) who set the ‘Strategic’ long distance warning messages you see when you might be 100 miles away. Can’t tell you the reasons for the timings of the matrix being set, and when the crews get to do the closure/reopening.

moomooland:
Day after day night after night we have to put up with the incompetence of the Highways Agency they are a law unto themselves and until they are held accountable to anyone we are going to suffer their absolute disregard for drivers and businesses.

Last night was another fine example of their total incompetence.

They knew there was two big Premier League football games in the Northwest what do they do close the M6 South at Junction 14 at 10pm when all the football traffic is heading back South from 10.30 onwards.

I passed Junction 14 heading North at 1am and the tail back of three lanes of standing traffic tailed back five miles at 1’oclock in the morning.

It took one of our trunkers two and a half hours to get through Stafford fortunately most of them came off at 15 and down the A34 but still copped at Stafford town centre adding an hour to their journey.

As i say its about time this so called Highways Agency were held accountable to some governing body and fined for their total and utter incompetence they are a disgrace!![/quote

I travelled up to Man ure watch Cardiff game(Cardiff fan) left old Trafford by coach around 22-30 arrive Cardiff 05-45 had to take a another rest day //

Bugs the life out of me that they dont mention the M42 being closed J4-J3A until you’ve passed the M5.

Knobs!

That diversion onto the M40 north, then onto the M42 to turn back round is a joke!

We’d all just go down the M5 if they could just warn us.

But saying that, they shut the M5 exit one morning last week and didn’t advertise it at all. First thing I knew about it was the closed slip

Don’t they realise some of us need to plan fuel stops etc. Would have fuelled at Keele if I’d known, but thought I’d be ok until Hopwood. Just a shame I couldnt get to it.

Here’s some of the closures night trunkers had to put up with at 3am this morning :exclamation: :exclamation: