M6 at nights

Hi all,
I have a trunk from MK to Preston tomorrow night.
Havent been up that way for a few months, so I am not up to speed with the night closures.

Whats the craic at the moment?
Heading out about 20:00.
TIA

roadworks and average speed cameras between Hilton park services and jnct 14, sometimes closed from 10.00pm between jncts 12 and 13 but diversion is round and through penkridge which is no problem. otherwise plain sailing all the way to preston.

Nice one, Thanks for the info

I expect the M1/M6 at Catthorpe to be closed on the way back down,but that’s not a problem as I have done the divert there a few times onto the A5.

Cheers bud.

If the matrix signs say that it’s closed from 11-12 or 12-13 then jump on the M54 then along the A449, you’ll end up meeting the diverted traffic at Gailey but will save sitting in the queues to get off which can cost you an hour if you catch it wrong, I’m heading southbound at that time so get to see the ensuing chaos.

The roadworks on that stretch are due to be lifted in a couple of weeks but then phase two will kick in starting at Sandbach and running up to Knutsford.

Rentadent:
If the matrix signs say that it’s closed from 11-12 or 12-13 then jump on the M54 then along the A449, you’ll end up meeting the diverted traffic at Gailey but will save sitting in the queues to get off which can cost you an hour if you catch it wrong, I’m heading southbound at that time so get to see the ensuing chaos.

+1. Having sat in that for an hour and a half I only made the mistake of not nipping up the M54 once. By the time you meet it at Gailey its flowing quite well. It takes an age to get off the motorway where they’ve closed it.

Go here and click on the Journey Impact tab for a timetable of the closures. At the bottom of the page are links to maps showing the diversion routes.

highways.gov.uk/roads/road-p … ion-10a-13

It was shut at J7 a few nights ago northbound. I saw it going the other way.

The reason ?

Trimming the branches on the side of the motorway. A major trunk road completely closed for a bit of hedge trimming. Clever :unamused:

Personally I’d stay on the M1 until 24 (not 23a as the signs would have you believe) and go across the A50, then please yourself which way you go on the A500 and join the M6 at J15 or J16. It’s about 2 mins longer than a completely clear M6 run (if such a thing exists) I only use the M6 these days when I need to get to the M40.

Cheers for the info re:M54/A449 - I’ll check that out, might save me having to stop for a break!

Paul, I know the A50 pretty well as I often used to use that on my way back south over the years when I knew the M6 was closed or running slow.
Some time last year, a colleague and I were both heading north, he used the A50 and I stuck with the M6. Both left the yard at the same time (4pm on a Thursday) - I arrived an hour before him at the DC - he got stuck getting in the M6 at the A50 due to amount of traffic and ended up having to stop for a break. So I tend to avoid A50 on the way up and just stick with the M6, but use it on the way back.

Not having been up that way for a while, but know there are night closures, but wasn’t sure where.

Thanks for your help.

Conor:

Rentadent:

+1. Having sat in that for an hour and a half I only made the mistake of not nipping up the M54 once. By the time you meet it at Gailey its flowing quite well. It takes an age to get off the motorway where they’ve closed it.

Go here and click on the Journey Impact tab for a timetable of the closures. At the bottom of the page are links to maps showing the diversion routes.

highways.gov.uk/roads/road-p … ion-10a-13

+2. If it is closed 12-13 then definitely go along the M54 and up the A449 to rejoin at 13, I’ve been stuck for an hour before now trying to get off at J12 with everyone else. But I don’t think it will be shut tonight, it’s been open and flowing pretty well all week for a change. (Kiss of death).