M54 average speed cameras catch 1,200 drivers in Shropshire

More than 1,000 motorists have been caught by average speed cameras in roadworks on the M54, figures released today reveal.

Average speed cameras on the M54 in Shropshire

Since the 50mph limit was enforced on August 5, about 1,200 drivers have been captured.

Each motorist has received a letter, demanding the payment of a £100 fine and imposing a three point penalty on their licence.

The roadworks, between Telford and Shrewsbury, are set to remain in place until the new year. They include speed cameras between junctions six at Ketley Interchange and seven at Wellington, which are designed to slow down traffic while bridge repairs are undertaken.

Motoring groups say the average speed cameras are a form of entrapment.

But the Safer Roads Partnership in West Mercia, made up of emergency services, councils and the Highways Agency, today defended their use.

It said the number of speeding drivers being caught was “very low”.

Are average speed cameras a fair way of ensuring motorists and workers stay safe?
Courtesy of The Shropshire Star.

I stick it on cruise at 47 or 48ish then sit back and relax. :smiley:

Is the fine higher for speeding in roadworks? I only ask because I was under the impression that the fine was £60.

I’d also hazard a guess that most of the speeders got caught either late night or early morning.

Which average cameras are these? I go through the ones where the jag/landrover engine plant is being built daily at 56 and haven’t had anything.

I come off at junction 4 so don’t reach the next lot of average cameras. I see loads flying through at 70 so doesn’t surprise me…

1200 you just can’t believe it ,it’s not like you wizzed around a corner and a camera got you in a strange town,there’s plenty of warning ,do they think because there’s not a gatso there’s no cameras or what ,any one who got done obviously deserved it.

maga:
Which average cameras are these? I go through the ones where the jag/landrover engine plant is being built daily at 56 and haven’t had anything.

the maoster:
Is the fine higher for speeding in roadworks? I only ask because I was under the impression that the fine was £60.

I’d also hazard a guess that most of the speeders got caught either late night or early morning.

Now £100 for speeding/red light and seatbelts…

trubster:

maga:

I come off at junction 4 so don’t reach the next lot of average cameras. I see loads flying through at 70 so doesn’t surprise me…

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: how is it up there on that high horse my friend?

trubster:

the maoster:
Now £100 red light

try £1000 for red light, :sunglasses: NEVER enforced though! :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing:

A lot of people don’t realise how they work, you see them charging along then slowing for the camera then charging again without realising that they are being monitored along the whole length of the road works. These are the ones who get caught.

Obiously some drivers know better than the rest of us,(Truckers included),that go through stretches of roadworks with average speed cameras at 56 or more.

I remember when they were buildng the southern M6/M6 toll juntion that took some time,and every month an update was posted on the number of motorists caught speeding,Before the work ended I saw the figure of 20,000 fined!
I set my CC on 48 and leave it at that.
Beware going through the roadworks on the M6 between J12 and J13,where halfway through the 50,it drops down to 40 with no warning apart from the change in the round speed limit signs.Many people are bombing through at 50 or more,so expect some more fines!

I always slow down to 48 on the approach to average cameras and stay there until I’m through the last one then build up to 56 again. Whilst I tend to drive too quick I don’t like points and fines so you have to show some sense

I don’t think half the drivers of any vehicle know what average speed means. :unamused:

Be interesting to see how many have been caught by the average speed cameras on the M1 between junction 32(M18) and Woodhall services because they race along thinking the cameras will not get them not working because they are not forward facing not realising they recording their back.

I was overtaken by an Oirish Fella in an old F12 on this stretch about 3 weeks ago. I was doing 52 and he left me like his house was on fire!

Course the other side of the coin is when you do the limit through roadworks and some prat in a lorry’s right up yer arse.

I was stuck in traffic on the southbound m1 near j27 the other day.i don`t know what the speed cameras were set at on the other side…but they were flashin em,ten to the dozen.