M5 Worcester yesterday Sat 20

J7 M5 closed n/b yesterday, I saw the car which had been ,concertinered’ to half it’s length :open_mouth: . 2 trucks also parked up in hard shoulder. Was the car driver/passengers still alive, miracle if so.
You should not jump to conclusions, but had the rear truck been following too close and rammed it up the arse under the front truck?
Any of you that are fond of tailgating cars would have been cured of it, if you had seen the state of the car.

I can’t comment on this particular incident as obviously I wasn’t there. I will concede however that in most (but not all) incidents like this the person gets rear ended by a vehicle travelling too close to it.

What does puzzle me though is the number of times that I’m travelling along a multi lanes road and I’m following another HGV at what I consider to be the closest safe gap when suddenly a car will overtake me and pull in Inbetween us with no upcoming slip roads or svcs etc, they do it for no reason other than they can, and you know that they’re immediately going to come off the gas. Well, right up until the moment you pull out to overtake and they rediscover their accelerator pedal that is! :imp:

I’m sure that when driving my car the last place on earth I want to be is Inbetween two lorries.

the maoster:
I can’t comment on this particular incident as obviously I wasn’t there. I will concede however that in most (but not all) incidents like this the person gets rear ended by a vehicle travelling too close to it.

What does puzzle me though is the number of times that I’m travelling along a multi lanes road and I’m following another HGV at what I consider to be the closest safe gap when suddenly a car will overtake me and pull in Inbetween us with no upcoming slip roads or svcs etc, they do it for no reason other than they can, and you know that they’re immediately going to come off the gas. Well, right up until the moment you pull out to overtake and they rediscover their accelerator pedal that is! :imp:

I’m sure that when driving my car the last place on earth I want to be is Inbetween two lorries.

Or the ones that dive in the gap because they suddenly reliease that their exit is coming up so they went across 3 lanes.

Radar19:
Or the ones that dive in the gap because they suddenly reliease that their exit is coming up so they went across 3 lanes.

As intensely irritating as that is Radar I understand that their lack of planning/arrogance is what creates that, it’s the ones that do it when no exits are coming up that still manage to baffle me. To be fair though, lots of things baffle me, an example being people braking on an empty road with no potential hazards ahead for one.

Sobering to see these results, in the days before they shut motorways regularly i saw the aftermath of a Merc (1626ish) which had rammed another artic up the arse with an obviously high speed differential, the fully loaded trailer headboard was solidly against the rear of the presumably loaded trailer of the one hit…the cab had vanished completely and with it the driver, the cab chassis was underneath the back of the trailer with the steering wheels (MB small hub cover wheeltrims hence the only reason i knew what cab it was) solidly up against the trailer rear axle, like a 4 axle trailer…that was in 1984 or 5 and i can still see it now.

Like you, i’ve seen what happens when a car gets sandwiched between two lorries, all that 5 star NCAP stuff that sells cars to the general public means nothing under these circumstances, the only hope for the car passengers is that their car fits fully under the lorry in front.

Obviously we don’t know what the circumstances are in this particular case are so can only generalise, but tailgating is a growing problem with some people behind the wheels of lorries.

The problem with our industry is that a vocational licence holder has no insurance record following them about and they should have, simple now for such info to be linked so possible future employers, or rather their insurers, can give the yes or no to any applicant…as it stands now the wreckers can flit from from one agency or one job to another leaving a trail of destruction in their wake and no ones any the wiser unless they get points.
Whilst thankfully accidents such as your saw are relatively few, it’s a fair chance that those who tailgate (if indeed this is applicable here) are likely to be in a tearing hurry and most likely have expensive damage to their name over a period of time, such info would give an inkling to an insurer what they were taking on…it would also put careful accident free drivers at a huge and lucrative advantage.

There was a time when transport managers interviewed and employed drivers, generally they could suss out what was standing before them and any doubts would be confirmed by a quick phone call to previous employers…you’d think agencies would act in similar fashion under the thought process that idiots are no use to anyone and better off out of the industry altogether, sadly its not the case at all.

I saw on fb yesterday posted by the artic driver who was 1st on scene that the 2 adults and child in car were ok and the baby had a fractured skull. Apparently could have been a lot worse.

topdog1606:
I saw on fb yesterday posted by the artic driver who was 1st on scene that the 2 adults and child in car were ok and the baby had a fractured skull. Apparently could have been a lot worse.

Did he say how it happened?