M5 Motorway Stroud Today

A three lorry accident at Michaelwood services has closed the M5 in both directions for most of the day. One driver killed and two taken to hospital. Two lorries on fire. The A38 is sure to be rammed . From the North try the M50 and M4.

Got caught up in it earlier.
On e I got on the A38 n/b it was fine,.s/b seemed to be a bit more congested.

Bad news about the driver, hope other 2 are ok.

RIP…

Drive.

bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-g … e-56871021

News is reporting that two of the drivers injuries were received while trying to help the other driver,thoughts with all involved and there families.

I wondered this morning, when they mentioned “by the services” on the radio, if it went wrong on the slip road, seems it did.

the nodding donkey:
I wondered this morning, when they mentioned “by the services” on the radio, if it went wrong on the slip road, seems it did.

It’s on the stretch of the M5 between Michael Wood and Gloucester services. I’m not sure what happened but I was a few minutes behind it, I’d only just got on the road. All I could see up ahead was a lot of black smoke billowing up from the incident. The old bill turned us all around to join the A38.

I hope the surviving drivers and rescue workers are okay, my condolences to the family of the deceased. RIP

MikeDBristol:

the nodding donkey:

It’s on the stretch of the M5 between Michael Wood and Gloucester services. I’m not sure what happened but I was a few minutes behind it, I’d only just got on the road. All I could see up ahead was a lot of black smoke billowing up from the incident. The old bill turned us all around to join the A38.

I hope the surviving drivers and rescue workers are okay, my condolences to the family of the deceased. RIP

The photo on the BBC website clearly shows that the incident took place at the end of the exit slip road of the services.

Looking at the photo on the BBC News website it’s definitely on the southbound exit from Michael Wood. Smashed up white Renault unit on the main carriageway (can’t make out the writing on the front of the cab), and a rotten looking mess on the slip road itself…

Left Bristol yard at 0730am this morning

Arrived at delivery point in Dudley at midday.

I’m not going to complain as I’m lucky enough to be going home in one piece alive

The less we say about the c*** car drivers using the hard shoulder to get round the traffic.

After a few went past I positioned my vehicle tactically straddling the hard shoulder, ready to move over for any emergency vehicles that might need to get through. Just idiotic driving, had to laugh though when they couldn’t get through at one point due to a broken down horse box on the hard shoulder…

Thejpmshow:

I’m not going to complain as I’m lucky enough to be going home in one piece alive

The less we say about the c*** car drivers using the hard shoulder to get round the traffic.

After a few went past I positioned my vehicle tactically straddling the hard shoulder, ready to move over for any emergency vehicles that might need to get through. Just idiotic driving, had to laugh though when they couldn’t get through at one point due to a broken down horse box on the hard shoulder…

:neutral_face:

The story on the grapevine is that some HATOs were removing a dead deer from the middle of the road. Some HGVs were waiting in line, on the live motorway, as instructed. The vehicle which crashed and burned hit the back of the queue. The Renault unit belonging to Whistl parcels [corrected] was hit from behind. This in turn got pushed in to another truck. This is why the two drivers from the leading vehicles were able to escape and tried to help the driver of the crashed truck at the back.

Rip to the driver not going home.

Latest news is that the M5 northbound has reopened but southbound is closed over night for resurfacing.

Cosmic:
The story on the grapevine is that some HATOs were removing a dead deer from the middle of the road. Some HGVs were waiting in line, on the live motorway, as instructed. The vehicle which crashed and burned hit the back of the queue.

Blimey wouldn’t it have been safer to say leave the dead deer where it is for now until we can get a rolling road block put in place.

Thejpmshow:

Bad news all round hope everyone pulls through. However on you blocking the hard shoulder straddling the lane you shouldn’t as per highway code you shouldn’t enforce the law whether it be speed, people using wrong lanes and stuff

TruckDriverBen:

Thejpmshow:

Bad news all round hope everyone pulls through. However on you blocking the hard shoulder straddling the lane you shouldn’t as per highway code you shouldn’t enforce the law whether it be speed, people using wrong lanes and stuff

Got to agree, it ain’t our job to police other road users. :unamused: especially by doing something illegal which is vastly ironic.

I also saw that broken down horse box, and the chumps running down the hard shoulder, …not just cars either,.a rigid tipper flew past me, but I just shook my head and muttered something under my breath.
Behind me was another one policing lane 3 in an artic blocking it off,.also illegal.
Way I see it if you want to police the roads…join the Police.

TruckDriverBen:

Thejpmshow:

Fair shout - I won’t do it again

But I’m sure you can appreciate my frustrations

Thejpmshow:

TruckDriverBen:

Thejpmshow:

:neutral_face:

Thejpmshow:

TruckDriverBen:

Thejpmshow:

Of course but did it get you through any quicker?

robroy:
Got caught up in it earl
On e I got on the A38 n/b it was fine,.s/b seemed to be a bit more congested.

Bad news about the driver, hope other 2 are ok.

Should be home by 10.30 am again this week rob