M42 speed cameras again

Now the M42 variable speed system is running (all day - every day it seems :frowning: The speed limits vary daily as wel )

I was driving along there this week looking at the gantries. (as well as the vehicle in front…) Not all gantries have camera boxes and most boxes do not have cameras.

There is an easy way to tell which gantries have camera boxes, as they are fitted to both carriageways, so if you see the boxes on the other carriageway they will also be on the gantry above you.

If anybody is interested I’ve made a list of the gantries with camera boxes.

Caveat… The bloke in front wont know this and will hit his brakes anyway just in case so leave a decent gap… Also I am not condoning speeding just passing this on for information.

Calv

Calv:
The bloke in front wont know this and will hit his brakes anyway just in case so leave a decent gap… Also I am not condoning speeding just passing this on for information.

Calv

So we can definately refer to these cameras as ‘Speed Cameras’ and not a road safety item. In this case it will probably mean more camera boxes equals more accidents.

I think I saw a flash originating from one of these cameras yesterday…

I now work near NEC so would probably spend a lot of time on the M42 so think I will be ultra careful. Well, I’m quite careful around speed cameras now. I stick to the speed limits, but occasionally i feel I dont trust these cameras… :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

I drive up and down the M42 nearly every day and I just cant see how these cameras and variable speed limits can help traffic flow.
yesterday I was going northbound at about 3pm between J5-6, it was showing 50 mph witch is bearable,but then it went down to 40,so everyone was jumping on there brakes rather than just easing off,and causing the domino rally of brake lights thus bringing everything to a complete standstill.
If i was spending 20 million pound i’d want better results than that, also I out of anyone should be greatful for these as I was on there most days when the work was being done,taking muck away or bringing aggregates in, so it kept me in work for a couple of years but i still think there crap :frowning:

Is it not easier just to stick to the speed limits rather than crane your neck looking for cameras :stuck_out_tongue:

Taskman:
Is it not easier just to stick to the speed limits rather than crane your neck looking for cameras :stuck_out_tongue:

Well, yes, that is the logical answer, but everyones always in a hurry…

I do try… Honest… :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

saw one triggered on friday, when no temporary limit in force, by a car going the opposite way at a fair lick.

I was on the night trunk and the flash is a big un, very bright (almost a bluey white) and seriously distracted my attention firstly thinking what the hell was that, and then peering to see if there was a camera up there or if it was just a faulty light flickering.

but lo and behold, on the return journey a car pounded past me going some at just the right time and in me mirror I saw it going off again, 2 flashes, a second or so wait, then another 2.

best answer to making sure you aint caught?

don’t speed :smiley:

then they’re not a worry :stuck_out_tongue:

gav:
I drive up and down the M42 nearly every day and I just cant see how these cameras and variable speed limits can help traffic flow.
yesterday I was going northbound at about 3pm between J5-6, it was showing 50 mph witch is bearable,but then it went down to 40,so everyone was jumping on there brakes rather than just easing off,and causing the domino rally of brake lights thus bringing everything to a complete standstill.
If i was spending 20 million pound i’d want better results than that, also I out of anyone should be greatful for these as I was on there most days when the work was being done,taking muck away or bringing aggregates in, so it kept me in work for a couple of years but i still think there crap :frowning:

easy - use specs and clear signage for “average speed measurement cameras” and people won’t speed up and slow down, just maintain the dedcent average.

either that or no cameras and let the 80th percentile take effect :smiley:

The systems works really great I was out and about around 04.30 this morning and had to go around the junction 6 island and the speed limit signs on the sliproad was flashing at 20 mph !! and the motorway was empty apart from a couple of cars

Does anyone know if they are set to pick up people going over 70mph when the signs are all off or wether they are turned off as well?