M42 Gantry Speed Cameras

I was driving along minding my own business westbound on the M42 today, from Jct 4a on the M6 to Jct3a on the M42, when I noticed that the overhead gantry signs were set at 40mph. This went on for ages, for no discernible reason and it got me wondering if the Gatso speed cameras on the gantries were linked to the speeds shown on the signs, or if they remained set to catch motorists going at 70mph + whatever allowance they have? Anyone know? Or if you don’t know, anyone guess?

Of course, I naturally slowed down to 42, but many truckers passed me, and cars passed them obviously travelling at well above the posted speed. Do they know something I don’t?

:confused:

AFAIK Not all of the gantries have cameras, only those with road markings below. They adjust to the displayed sign on that gantry at that time. There must be some delay between the display changing and the camera activating to allow for those that are almost on the gantry when it changes from say 60 to 40.

the easy way to tell if the gantry has a camera behind it, is look at the gantry on the other carriageway, if it has got cameras mounted on it, the one you will drive under will have cameras

as already said, not all the gantries have cameras fitted

the camera is set to the speed limit sign

iDriver:
AFAIK Not all of the gantries have cameras, only those with road markings below. They adjust to the displayed sign on that gantry at that time. There must be some delay between the display changing and the camera activating to allow for those that are almost on the gantry when it changes from say 60 to 40.

Thanks iDriver. This tallies with what I thought. I know that not every gantry has a camera, and I have often wondered about the ‘delay’ when the speed is changed. My theory is that the operators change the speed on at least two gantries at the same time, ensuring that one without the camera is always passed first, so tough luck if you insist on going through the gantry with the camera over speed.

Or am I being naive in thinking that they don’t really want to get you for speeding?

:wink:

they will get you for speeding, they even go off for speeding vehicles when the variable limits are not in force

shuttlespanker:
they will get you for speeding, they even go off for speeding vehicles when the variable limits are not in force

Not much chance of that, SS. My little wagon maxes out at 54mph (Mitsubishi Cantor with MPH speedo and mileometer, none of that KPH stuff), so if the variables are off, then I’m safe.

:unamused:

I actually saw the cameras flash this week, so I would advise you to adhere to the speed limit on these managed motorways.

They are definitely linked to the variable limit sign. About 3 years ago a mate of mine who had just passed his test nearly lost his licence going past 2 cameras at 70 when the signs were showing 40. This was at 11pm so would have been quiet.

maga:
They are definitely linked to the variable limit sign. About 3 years ago a mate of mine who had just passed his test nearly lost his licence going past 2 cameras at 70 when the signs were showing 40. This was at 11pm so would have been quiet.

might be quiet but it dot mean no ones working, wandering around the carriageway or accidents does it

When they first came out early 1990s at m25 you could lose your licence in four flashes! :open_mouth: which defeats the object really, as if all the truck drivers lost their livelihoods, :unamused: who’d of done the work? :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: please think of the children! :laughing: :sunglasses:

I have to say, when I first saw them I thought they’d be always displaying daft low speeds with no discernible reason - I don’t mean people working - I mean you could drive right through there be nothing.

However in practice I think they’re a good idea. M5 → M6 north I’d never gone there and not stopped and now you can slot in to a nice gap at 40 or 50 and everyone’s happy.

Not all the gantries with road marking have speed cameras.
On another note, the M25 traffic flow is certainly a lot better with these and the millions they have spent widening the carriageway to 4 and 5 lanes!
And the M42. just realised my mistake.

And similar cameras have been installed on the M62 near Leeds.

Ken.

Don’t know if any one saw this the other day, but here’s a link I put on out on Twitter…

itv.com/news/london/story/20 … dont-work/

itv.com/news/london/story/20 … dont-work/

As for the ones on the lower reaches of the M42 (and the M6 up to Hilton Park), I’ve had cars pass me easily doing 100+ and not get flashed, irrespective of there being a 40/50/60 limit in operation. But saying that, I’ve also seen motors get a double flash with no limits in operation and clearly doing less than 70. Me? I take no chances!

Quinny:
And similar cameras have been installed on the M62 near Leeds.

Ken.

Not that you ever get above 30mph on that stretch… :laughing: