M42 Evening rush hour?

Hi, I’ve got to go from Bristol to Coventry tonight for around 6pm.
I would normally aviod the M42 around this time as I know it can be a nightmare, but the prefered option of off the M5 at gate 9 then A46 is scuppered by the A46/M40 junction at Longbridge island being buggered by road works.
So…how bad is the M42 likely to be, and where are the worst bits?
and any other suggestions that are not too conveluted.

:smiley:

I was up in that area last night and it wasn’t a pretty picture. Left Bracknell @3pm and from where I joined M42 (from M40 junction) up to M6 till Cannock it was absolutely stationary both ways. Took me extra 1.5 hours to do a journey that would normally be 2.5 hours. Weather, accident and roadwork’s all came into the factor, the only good side was that on the way back at around 8pm it was all clear. The weather predictions for today and tomorrow look very dire and no doubt it will have a serious impact on the traffic.

Thanks for the info guys, looks like it might be a long night. :frowning: The fosse way will lead me right into the pick & Shovel at J15 M40 just like the A46 does so thats no use I’m afraid.

Stick to the 42 fella it aint that bad come off at jn 6 and run the 45 into coventry I’ll be running that tonight not a bad trott…
I got a 16.00 start run into Yate then out to jun 14 M5 then run up to M42 off on the 45 to Cov down to the airport then swap and up to Leicester swap break and a nice easy run back down the 46 …
The 42 the last few nights has been closed from 6 to 5 southbound according to the matrex boards

look at your map dafmad is correct with his directions, the fosse way doesnt go near jct 15 or a46,follow the a429 until you reach b4455 this is the fosse way straight to coventry and beyond its a very good road and fairly quiet.

Tramper:
I’ve got to go from Bristol to Coventry tonight for around 6pm.

To which part of Cov ?

I found that using the A46 from J9 M5 all the way into Cov was quicker than M5 M42 etc and my final destination was just off the A444 about half way between Cov city centre and J3 M6

asus770:
look at your map dafmad is correct with his directions, the fosse way doesnt go near jct 15 or a46,follow the a429 until you reach b4455 this is the fosse way straight to coventry and beyond its a very good road and fairly quiet.

Thank you asus770
Been up that way many times Tramper. Keep following till you get to the A45 then bear left.

Me again. :grimacing: Just remembered something.
There is roadworks at Cirencester, where the A429 joins the old 417. If you can think of a way of avoiding that section, still might be a good alternative. The roadworks don’t affect you too much going up, but can be a bit of a queue coming back, probably still better than the A46 / M40 though.

Yeah, I see it now, the fosse way goes straight on at Halford, whereas the main rd goes left towards J15 M40. Thanks for that, but it puts me a long way on the wrong side of Coventry, I’m going to a place called Tile Hill which is on the outskirts on the Birmingham side of the city.

Tramper:
I’m going to a place called Tile Hill

ROG:
I found that using the A46 from J9 M5 all the way into Cov was quicker than M5 M42 etc and my final destination was just off the A444 about half way between Cov city centre and J3 M6

I would go A46 from J9 M5 all the way into Cov - turn left onto A45 ring road then left onto B4101 to Tile Hill - most industry in on the left.

ROG:

Tramper:
I’m going to a place called Tile Hill

ROG:

I would go A46 from J9 M5 all the way into Cov - turn left onto A45 ring road then left onto B4101 to Tile Hill - most industry in on the left.

I think he wants to avoid going across the M40, and I don’t blame him.

DAFMAD:

I was not aware there was a current problem at the A46/M40 junction :slight_smile:

ROG:

DAFMAD:

I was not aware there was a current problem at the A46/M40 junction :slight_smile:

there are roadworks on that junction and on the M40 they building some new by pass which wont be open for another 10 years or so :exclamation: :exclamation: :unamused:

traffic is nightmare sometimes at that junction :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation:

assuming here your talking about the m40/A46 warwick junction :question: :question:

assuming here your talking about the m40/A46 warwick junction

Yes, it is. I have always found it an area to avoid at most times, let alone any roadworks being there.

Well the M42 was sweet as a nut last night dropped onto the A45 jn 6 and ran right through to Cov airport with out one hitch

I had a good trip up the M5 to gate 9, no problems along the A46 all the way to Coventry…until a mile from the A45 junction, where the traffic came to a grinding halt, all lanes. It took 2 and a half hours to get to the junction and get off the A46! Arrived at the destination in Coventry at 21.00hrs after leaving Bristol a little after 15.30. Not a happy bunny, but ■■■■ happens!

Tramper:
I had a good trip up the M5 to gate 9, no problems along the A46 all the way to Coventry…until a mile from the A45 junction, where the traffic came to a grinding halt, all lanes. It took 2 and a half hours to get to the junction and get off the A46! Arrived at the destination in Coventry at 21.00hrs after leaving Bristol a little after 15.30. Not a happy bunny, but [zb] happens!

I’ve gone into hiding…