M40

Thank you.

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk

Roymondo:

SouthEastCashew:

P Stoff:
Caused chaos I had a trip from Spalding to Avonmouth tried all ways to get round it and run out of time about half hour from home. Still got greeted with the usual peed off attitude when they had to scoop me up

Why would you be on the M40 from Spalding…?

He wasn’t on the M40. The M42 and A46 routes were completely FUBAR as a result of the M40 closure. Common sense would tell you to avoid the area completely (P’boro-Northampton-Oxford-M4 would be the obvious alternative), but once committed to going through the Coventry area you’d be somewhat Donald Ducked.

Yeah I would have gone A1139 then 065 to Northampton, pick up the A45, then A43 past Silverstone down the M40 south one junction pick up the 34, down the a420( watch out for that 16’ bridge) , off on to the A419 then M4/M5 ofc. Always next time aye mate

Hindsight is an amazing tool that everyone should carry.

P Stoff:

Sure you done your best m8 it’s not easygoing when a major road is closed, as for your work I hope you told them where to stick it.

I’m a limper so they hate me anyway. ( Although they always ask for me)

P Stoff:

It’s not really hindsight - the BBC traffic news had been banging on about it since first thing in the morning. Whenever there is mention of a total closure of some Motorway or another you immediately think “I’d best avoid that area then…”.

As it happens, I was also going to Bristol (and returning therefrom) that day. A quick peek on my trusty Satnav showed bright red all around Coventry/Warwick so I opted instead for the A34/Oxford, even though the A34 is an awful route from a traffic density POV.

I suppose one difference is that I’m salaried rather than hourly paid, so delays definitely go against the grain - doubly so on a Friday!

That’s why I’m.a limper and not a driving god

P Stoff:
Caused chaos I had a trip from Spalding to Avonmouth tried all ways to get round it and run out of time about half hour from home. Still got greeted with the usual peed off attitude when they had to scoop me up

Been on the wireless all-day,to avoid the area, from Spalding you could have gone A17-A46-M1-M69-M6-M5…

biggriffin:

P Stoff:

Been on the wireless all-day,to avoid the area, from Spalding you could have gone A17-A46-M1-M69-M6-M5…

No ■■■■ sherlock

biggriffin:

P Stoff:

and added 40 minutes/30 miles to the journey as compared to going via Northampton/Oxford/M4 (and still avoiding the problems around Coventry/Warwick). Still, if you’re hourly paid…

i was stuck in this southbound near the front, was about 245am ish, fire engines arrived with water tanker around 315, northbound started moving 1hr or so after we had stopped, then after around 15 minutes they all stopped coming pasted, wasnt till the wombles came to turn us around that we found out what happened and that was 645

the truck fire was southbound, and the crash was northbound, make of it what you will but, the traffic would have been slow, then picked up speed as they opened it, rubber neckers comes to mind

rip drive :cry:

Santa:
It seems that the second crash happened in the smoke from the first. Why those trucks collided will be for TNCSI to discover.

no it didnt as the crash was before the truck fire

burnley-si:

Santa:
It seems that the second crash happened in the smoke from the first. Why those trucks collided will be for TNCSI to discover.

According to the Dail mail report the fire happened around 2:40am and the 3 truck crash happened around 40 mins later at 4:12.

simcor:

burnley-si:

Santa:

According to the Dail mail report the fire happened around 2:40am and the 3 truck crash happened around 40 mins later at 4:12.

G
That 1 1/2 hours later [emoji849][emoji849]

Drempels:

Cosmic:
There are two pictures in the Daily Mail article, claiming to show this morning’s tailbacks. The pictures are approx 10 years old.

Bloody hell… :unamused:

Stock Footage used to be “A traffic jam in the same area, yesterday”.

Now it is as you say - “A traffic jam ten years ago” - meaning we couldn’t find a proper journalist to do the local leg work, and actually go to the scene, and take pictures whilst this sad event was in progress.

Funny how “Journalists” don’t cover for whatever reason - but local members of the public gleefully film upsetting material on their mobile phones, and don’t think anything of it! :frowning:

blue estate:

simcor:

burnley-si:

Santa:

G
That 1 1/2 hours later [emoji849][emoji849]

Good point. I just copied the times from the daily mail report. Didn’t even cross my mind when I typed it that clearly it is longer than 40 mins between the 2 times.

Either way they report the fire as happening first then the 3 truck crash later, that was the point.

simcor:

burnley-si:

Santa:

not be far off, but the crash happened before the truck fire, everything started moving n/bound for about 15 minutes or so then all stopped again,

simcor:

burnley-si:

Santa:

what i meant to say is the crash happened before they got to the truck fire