M40 closed, 1 dead

bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-co … e-33258732

A man has died following crashes involving several vehicles on the M40 in Warwickshire.

Four cars and two lorries were involved in crashes near Leamington Spa just after midnight.

The crashes left the motorway closed in both directions between junctions 15 and 16.

The motorway’s southbound carriageway is currently closed between the turning for the M42 at junction three and junction 15 for Warwick.

The stretch is likely to remain closed until about 13:00 BST and diversions are in place, motorway police said.
‘Complex and distressing’

West Midlands Ambulance Service described the scene as complex and distressing.

It said the first crash involved a lorry and a car.

A spokesman said: "When crews arrived at the scene, they found wreckage over three lanes and the lorry was on fire.

“The car was also destroyed by fire.”

The car driver was confirmed dead at the scene.

A second crash happened in the queuing traffic about a mile away.

A car crashed down an embankment following a collision and the engine caught fire.

The ambulance service said a fire crew going to the first crash put out the fire.

The closure of the motorway has led to congestion and delays on the A435 between the Coventry Highway and the Warwick Highway, the A3400 between Lapworth and Henley-in-Arden and the A4189 Stratford Road in Henley-in-Arden.

More fires post collision, getting like grand prix racing from yesteryear.

Sounds nasty.

Rentadent:
Sounds nasty.

And the award for post of the week goes to … :laughing:

Sounds very nasty

There were a lot of all the emergency services there

I was there just after 1st police car to set road block up if I had not had a diversion earlier on I would have seen it or been involved

Knew it was bad by the amount of emergency vehicles on seen very quick & the speed they were traveling