M4 Wales speed limit

I apologise this isnt corona related am sorry

But I Went along m4 newport way through them.tunnels Thursday evening roads were empty. Yet speed was 50mph.signs saying something like.pollution kills cut your speed.
Thought what pollution roads empty no.planes flying. Air probably as clean as it’s been for decades
Then I came across this article

There planing to.put up 50mph.averge speed cameras.
Why?
And does anyone know if highways Wales if there’s such a thing has different rules than. England?
As I don’t want this rolling out across English motorways.

Like a lot of places where roadworks are in place for a long time after the work is finished someone decides they like the ‘new’ speed limit. Change is easier now when you say the decision is based on the environment.

Certain times you are queuing from the seven bridge now anyway so the 50mph is not a problem.

mrginge:
Like a lot of places where roadworks are in place for a long time after the work is finished someone decides they like the ‘new’ speed limit. Change is easier now when you say the decision is based on the environment.

Certain times you are queuing from the seven bridge now anyway so the 50mph is not a problem.

Talking of which on way down I did notice the average speed cameras on oldbury viaduct have finally gone

edd1974:

But I Went along m4 newport way through them.tunnels Thursday evening roads were empty. Yet speed was 50mph.signs saying something like.pollution kills cut your speed.
Thought what pollution roads empty no.planes flying. Air probably as clean as it’s been for decades
Plans for M4 average speed limit on hold due to coronavirus | South Wales Argus

Why?
And does anyone know if highways Wales if there’s such a thing has different rules than. England?

It’s been a permanent 50 mph for ages now and they just used the pollution thing to justify it.
As for the average speed cameras well they are eventually going to be rolled out every where anyway so gets used to it, ■■■■■■■ morons can’t stuck to the limits so it’s the only way to make people slow down.

Personally I look forward to the roll out as it’s much more relaxed driving with everybody actually driving at our below the limit

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

edd1974:

Why?

Went through the other Sunday at about 04.15 I was literally on my own and by the tunnels it was saying congestion 40 mph would you believe obviously it was a bored control room operator having a laugh.

bald bloke:

edd1974:

Why?

Went through the other Sunday at about 04.15 I was literally on my own and by the tunnels it was saying congestion 40 mph would you believe obviously it was a bored control room operator having a laugh.

Same at 8:30 on a Sunday morning , I still let my MAN TGX go down the hill rather than cook the brakes

blue estate:

bald bloke:

edd1974:

Why?

Same at 8:30 on a Sunday morning , I still let my MAN TGX go down the hill rather than cook the brakes

Retarder?

bald bloke:

Maybe forgot to turn it off after a lane closure?

I noticed that sort of thing when I was on twilights last year. Irritating; but really adds no more than a couple of minutes to your trip at the worst.

toonsy:

blue estate:

bald bloke:

edd1974:

Why?

Retarder?

Yes I do use that , But for some reason the 2018 TGX 500 with the Astronic gear box can over speed quickly down hill even with just 12t in trailer :blush:

I read somewhere (probably on here) that the dutch have done something similar, reduced their motorway speed limits down to something silly in the name of pollution.
Could see more of this, with camera enforcement too, I suppose governments here and abroad have got to refill their coffers somehow, seeing as this virus is slaughtering the economy.

GORDON 50:
I read somewhere (probably on here) that the dutch have done something similar, reduced their motorway speed limits down to something silly in the name of pollution.
Could see more of this, with camera enforcement too, I suppose governments here and abroad have got to refill their coffers somehow, seeing as this virus is slaughtering the economy.

If they want to recoup some.of the cost due to corona virus

They should send the police out with there speed guns.
As am seeing a lot of cars speeding around…amd sure most cars see on motorways these days are doing close to 100mph

Have you seen most cars are not giving way they are just flying into junctions without looking. I have heard too many near misses this past week.