M25 today.

Keep hearing on the radio that its been shut since mid day, car transporter gone over apparantly. Bet thats a right mess if it was fully loaded. Hope that everyone is ok and the reason its been shut so long is clearing up 10 brand new smashed cars.

It wasn’t me

Heard about this.Apparently the cars were all Mercs, and not basic ones either :blush: Hope the driver is OK.

I saw one over near J28 a few years back, that was full of Mercs too, but only the little A class ones, when they got it all sorted out there was a huge pile of glass that they’d swept up, it made me chuckle. the glass, not that a lorry had gone over :open_mouth:

Hope the driver is ok :wink:

I went by just after it happend, looked really nasty too. It was an ECM Volvo wagon & drag and the whole lot had gone over and the trailer had seperated from the unit. Some of the cars had come of the top deck too. It was spread across all three lanes.

Its about time they put stabilisers on trucks, so many incidents of them getting ‘blown over’.

Was it windy down there today?

Surely a car transporter would beable to take the side gusts better than a taut?

Alcpone:

Surely a car transporter would beable to take the side gusts better than a taut?

Must of been, thats the only way it could of tipped over.

Dealt with a transporter gone over on A14 a couple of years ago. It had brand new Freelanders on board, every one was damaged except one on the trailer which was perfect.
Right up until the trailer was righted and the top deck crashed down on the roof of it, blew every window out and flattened the roof.

Hope no one was hurt today.

Mick.

bubsy06:

Alcpone:

Ummm no thats not the only way it could tip over. Do you think that every car thats rolled is because of wind?

Dogmatix:

bubsy06:

Alcpone:

Ummm no thats not the only way it could tip over. Do you think that every car thats rolled is because of wind?

I’m of the same opinion as you, not every one would be down to wind.

Surely a car transporter would beable to take the side gusts better than a taut

You may think that the wind might have free passage through the decks, but they have a high center off gravity, so when they start to rock and roll a bit they would be more prone to go. though i only suspect this, as i have never driven car transporters. but i have pulled double and 4 deck cattle floats, and tripple stacked flat trailers, which move in a similar way. :wink:

my mate from the company concerned was on the phone earlier,the driver is ok,truck and cars a right off.no one knows what has happened so far,but will let you know when it filters through.one thing i can guarantee,is that it wasnt the wind.

it certainly was’nt windy down there today. I was approaching the roundabout underneath there just as it happened.
Didnt look good as i went up the slip road just past it.
Glad that the driver was ok. hopefully noone else was hurt.
you can always replace cars but not lives

I saw a few things which made me think this past couple of days.

Thursday night heading down the A1M I had a 4 wheeler come past me in the middle lane, about 10 metres infront he got it rocking and I swear ive never seen a wagon in the flesh go up on two wheels, made me brake hard incase he rolled infront of me. luckily he landed it.

then this morning coming back up, saw an artic on its side on the s/b A1, it wasnt even that gusty.

i always think those transportrs look very unstable. A tractor unit with 3 cars on the roof, pulling a 12m trailer with another 6/7/8 cars on the back. in my opinion its the front part that is unstable, and i suppose the companies concerned have to earn their money in the delivery charge which is why theyre loaded in that fashion.
Still with the new eu legislation comming in with regard to a 4m height limit across europe, theyll have to rethink the way to deliver cars, as well as the general haulage companies.

Another question…Is ECM the largest accident prone company in the car delivery sector, fo0r it seems that everytime theres an accident involving this company…its always them…just an obversation…but glad the driver was ok.

bubsy06:

Alcpone:

Hiya …I don,t think the joke went down very well there busby06 i got it straight away.
John

what 4 metre rule
news to me

buck rogers:
one thing i can guarantee,is that it wasnt the wind.

he did take your advice then to stay of the beans

hitch:
what 4 metre rule
news to me

Hiya …theres a word going round that the UK has to put a 4 mtere high restiction on the trucks in the nr future
John