M25 junction 26

I had the opportunity to stop and have my break at the new truckstop on the M25 northern side.
This is at junction 26 the Waltham abbey turn off, so it’s basically if your travelling south (clockwise) it’s between the A10 junction and the M11 turn off or if your travelling north (anti clockwise) it’s between the M11 and the A10 junctions.
Not being sure what to expect I went in with an open mind but I should point out that I don’t favour places made from portakabins I was however extremely surprised by the cleanliness of the café area, the parking leaved a little to be desired it being hard standing only with a few pot holes which are never very nice to your ride anyway.
The café is owned and operated by 2 women (girls/females or however else you wish to refer to them), top totty when it comes to having a laugh, no sour faces here and if you like a bit of sarcasm and witty banter then you won’t be disappointed.
I was surprised to find that the site had showers, not just men’s but also a women’s shower too, the toilets were spotlessly clean as were the shower areas and another customer assured me they were very good too (must mean hot and proper water flow not just a trickle) make your own assumptions I suppose.
The dining area although bland and traditional in it’s layout was also spotlessly clean, the tables were clean and the only things lying around was newspapers for customers to read and salt & pepper etc.
I had a jacket spud with beans and cheese as I was on the way to catch a boat (I knew I would want a proper meal on there as it’s a set price whether you have a soup or a 4 course meal), the service was quick and the food was very nice and plentiful, it cost me about £3 in total (inc tea), in fact there wasn’t a meal on the menu that cost over a fiver.
Overnight parking is £12.50 and you get a free shower, free tea and a £5 meal voucher to spend on an evening meal that you will thoroughly enjoy.
The truckstop is open from 06.00 until 21.00 and truck drivers will be served a meal until the very last minute, the girl I spoke to said if a driver came in at 20.50 she would still cook for them and wait while they finished it, there are plans for 24 hours opening if trade requires it, personally I don’t think trade will as it would spoil an overnight rest but perhaps 05.00 until 23.00 would be a better option.
Now for the bad news, the truckstop is no longer signposted at the side of the motorway so you will have to find it yourself (council pressure), the council may also try to close it down so we could be setting up a petition to keep it open before very long.
The alternatives to this stop are;
South Mimms M25— dated, expensive, usually full up early, pot holes and a long walk from parking area to café, robot service with distaste for truck driver’s attitude.
Birchmead services M11 at Bishop Stortford - a service area so we’ll say no more eh?
West Thurrock services M25 — yet again a service area, do you speak Romanian, Bulgarian or Czech? Perhaps you understand the international language of willi betz etc. if so you may be able to ask one of the long stay drivers if they can make room for you.
So basically this is a good place, serving good food and looking for customers, use it or lose it.

Excellent report, Thanks Johnny.
Comes down to the old saying, use it, support it, or lose it.

very comprehensive report johnny, thansk for taking the trouble. god knows we need 100’s more of these such places.

Great to read such a positive report about J26 Truckstop.
This is owned by friends of mine (the 'Top Totty - Lisa and Yasmin) who will be delighted to hear of this positive report.
I have written an article for T&D Mag on J26 which should be printed in the March issue.
The good news is, although J26 is only open between 6am and 9pm at the moment, the girls are looking to make it a 24 hour service in the not too distant future.
I think we all agree that this was a well needed facility. Good food at reasonable prices with good, safe, off road parking for Artics.
Back to the old Truckers Cafe of yesteryear which we all miss.

Very good report Johnny, i hope you have kept your receipt Rikki might reinburse you, THUD, was that Rikki falling off his stool in the Navvie :laughing:

Is there enough room for a wagon and drag ?

I’d use it if I was down that way.

Where is it in relation to this map

Give me a hint and I’ll move the cursor position.

i have also used this truckstop and the report is 100% i hope it takes off 4 then

Johnny, can you give us some basic directions?
Phil

if your travelling south (clockwise)

being an orbital road, you can travel south, north, west and east going either anti or clockwise :laughing:

So do you have an address for the local council so we can all write to them and say how we think the truck stop is a great idea.?

johnny:
Now for the bad news, the truckstop is no longer signposted at the side of the motorway so you will have to find it yourself

So you come off at J26 and you cant miss it :open_mouth: or am I missing something here :question:
Phil

It’s easy to find, if your heading towards dartford, come off at j26, down the slip to roundabout, take second exit off which would take you back under the motorway but dont go that far as the truckstop is on the right 50 yards from the roundabout. :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

I’ve updated the map here.

But it looks like the third exit. :confused: :confused:

Thanks Stuart and Krankee, I will call in next week and pass the word on. Like you say we need more of these (South Mims does my head in)
Phil

so the locals are obviously objecting to a lorry park near them, but the “clay pigeon range” next door is ok? :laughing:

Yeah spot on Johnny, I stopped there on thursday and couldn’t believe the size of the portions, definately American size :smiley: I had ham eggs and chips and couldn’t see the plate, let’s hope the standard keeps up.

And the girls were a right laugh, excellent place to stop and about time there was somewhere decent around that area.

After reading the above I spoke to the girls at J26 this morning and asked them about the Councils intentions.
Apparently the council have no real objections to the Truckstop being there and in fact had agreed it before the venture went ahead. What the problem seems to be is that the council are pressing for it to be a permanent building ie, bricks and mortar and not the portacabins that are in use at the moment.
Ideally this would be great but just for the moment the expense of a proper building is prohibitive. The girls tell me that the plan for the next couple of months is to bring in further portacabins to enlarge the eating area which is pretty crowded now most of the time.
I get in there most days so will keep you all posted of progress or problems with our wonderful council and its councilors.

Mothertrucker:
After reading the above I spoke to the girls at J26 this morning and asked them about the Councils intentions.
Apparently the council have no real objections to the Truckstop being there and in fact had agreed it before the venture went ahead. What the problem seems to be is that the council are pressing for it to be a permanent building ie, bricks and mortar and not the portacabins that are in use at the moment.
Ideally this would be great but just for the moment the expense of a proper building is prohibitive. The girls tell me that the plan for the next couple of months is to bring in further portacabins to enlarge the eating area which is pretty crowded now most of the time.
I get in there most days so will keep you all posted of progress or problems with our wonderful council and its councilors.

i didnt see you :laughing:

i have popped in twice this week and the 1/2 pound cheeseburger is one of the best i have ever had. the do seem to get confused when i ask for black coffee though. i had to tell her twice this morning and she still picked the milk up forcing me to shout louder :laughing:

Didn’ t see me?? How can you miss me!!
Eye test required!

I stayed there on thursday night and could not fault it,
nice big meal, good shower, pub just up the hill and the
girls fill up your flask in the morning, spot on.