M25 J9, Leatherhead

Great fun on the 25 Anti Clock near J9/Leatherhead, 06.00ish, saw about 30 cars & a truck on the hard shoulder, looks like they’ve all suffered punctures.
Police had just got there as I passed & were holding the traffic back.

This information has been brought to you via Viking Industries Travel information Division.

They just said that the road has collapsed between 10 & 9, so try to keep away !
Co’s you going anywhere.

They’ve been working there all night cutting out huge squares out of the concrete and filling them in.
I’m guessing the concrete hadn’t cured before they reopened the road tonight.
Not sure what they’re doing but it’s been going on a few months now.

I reckon the rain has washed it away then, it was peeing down from the early hours.

Looks like it

Just had a friend who knows someone whos car has been damaged. Its been setting off some air bags too as well as doing the tyres. Nice little bill for the Highways Agency to deal with.

Those pictures look press worthy to me, wouldn’t fancy hitting that at any great speed, I’m sure whoever signed off that work will be in for a rough time this morning.

The BBC just published this.

bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-surrey-30049739

I wouldn’t like to be around there at evening rush hour if it’s still the same. You can add another 2-3 hours on top of the 2 hour delays they are experiencing now if 3 lanes are still closed.

A soggy good morning
Was going to post a message regarding the above incident as I travel that stretch on a daily basis saw the roadworks this morning then when coming back saw all the cars on hard shoulder guessed something had happened pulled into Cobham and Highways Agency had it down as a incident on there website then traffic reports said emergency roadworks only 1 lane open and exit to Jc9 closed ooooops methinks contractors wont be getting any bonuses for that …imagine there will be a few irate drivers claiming from them.
Glad I know what the cause was knew someone on here could supply the answer.

I know that if the railways are unable to operate as a result of a contractor issue, Network Rail fine them £100s by the minute.
Does anyone know if the same applies for the road network?

danalex84:
I know that if the railways are unable to operate as a result of a contractor issue, Network Rail fine them £100s by the minute.
Does anyone know if the same applies for the road network?

Yes I believe there is a penalty clause, which is why roads are often reopened a couple of hours before the signs say so in some cases. The road gangs don’t like to run “just in time”. Cat D4D2 will know more about penalties I reckon.

Where’s Big Jase? I thought he’d be on here blaming lorry drivers for all the chaos?

Muckaway:
Where’s Big Jase? I thought he’d be on here blaming lorry drivers for all the chaos?

:smiley: it’ll be all of us that run 50 tonne overweight that caused the roadworks in the first place :wink:

Muckaway:

Hes gone quiet ever since his post about how he broke the posted speed limit while trying to save the day.

Apart from the rain there were also a few differences to last night’s works. Most nights the concrete contractors were P J Davidson but last night I’m sure they had Axtel trucks doing the concrete. During all the time these works have been going on they have mainly used Davidsons. Also the tents they were using to cover the holes were nornally up but last night they were collapsed. They have gas heaters pumping heat into them and Im wondering if the heat had a chance to circulate around the tent properly to cure the concrete as it was only 6 inches above the hole instead of 6 foot.

This was the first time that Lynn Bowles has ever given me a usefull heads up on radio two. I was on the M4 near Hungerford heading for Brighton when she said 3 lanes were shut on the M25. Realising that 3 lanes shut anywhere on M25 meant disaster, I peeled off down the A34 and took the A272 towards haywards heath for the scenic route. OK so it added half an hour to my journey, but the scenery was nice and it saved me 2 hours from the M25 cave in.

m1cks:
Apart from the rain there were also a few differences to last night’s works. Most nights the concrete contractors were P J Davidson but last night I’m sure they had Axtel trucks doing the concrete. During all the time these works have been going on they have mainly used Davidsons. Also the tents they were using to cover the holes were nornally up but last night they were collapsed. They have gas heaters pumping heat into them and Im wondering if the heat had a chance to circulate around the tent properly to cure the concrete as it was only 6 inches above the hole instead of 6 foot.

They were doing the “tent” thing last year along the same stretch. What exactly are they doing under those tents?

Ched:

m1cks:

They were doing the “tent” thing last year along the same stretch. What exactly are they doing under those tents?

I dont know. I can only assume theyre installing some kind of monitoring equipment in the road.

I can confirm with no authority whatsoever that they have installed the Bluetooth Readers for your Digi Tacho :grimacing: