M25 closed A/C J9-8 this morning. Was the driver ok?

Passed this accident this morning at about 7AM. one lane had just reopened so I managed to sneak though. A Robert Wiseman rigid fridge lorry had run into the back of a heavy tranporter (the ones with about 400 wheels) carrying concrete blocks for a mobile crane. Looked pretty bad with oil and debris everywhere. Does anyone know what happened to the driver?

A crash between two lorries on the M25 caused chaos and left a man with serious leg injuries this morning.

Police, ambulance and fire services were called to the scene where a black HGV carrying milk and a lorry moving mobile crane equipment crashed at about 5.10am between Leatherhead and Reigate junctions.

Fire engines from Leatherhead, Reigate, Epsom, Redhill and Chertsey attended the scene and a man had to be released from one of the vehicles by firefighters.

Lanes one, two and three of the M25 were closed for most of the day, but lane three was open by 3pm and police hope the entire carriageway will be open before the evening.

A South East Coast Ambulance Service spokesman said: “We have taken three patients to East Surrey Hospital.

"None of their injuries are believed to be life-threatening.”

A spokeswoman for Surrey Police said: “At 5.10am this morning Surrey Police was called to junctions 9 to 8 on the anti-clockwise stretch of the M25 following reports of a road traffic collision.

“The collision, which occurred about a mile after junction 9 heading towards Gatwick, involved a black HGV and a lorry transporting mobile crane equipment.

“The driver of the HGV, a man in his 30s, has been taken to East Surrey Hospital with serious leg injuries.

"The driver of the other lorry suffered minor whiplash.”

Thats great news! I thought about it all alot today as the cab was in such a mess, I was sure nobody could survive it.

Good work emergency services and get well soon Mr Wiseman driver.

I passed it at about 11 this morning and 2 lanes were still shut… :open_mouth:

“Serious leg injuries” doesn’t sound too good. :frowning:

I hope the driver’s going to be OK. Glad everyone got out alive, though.

Poor guy. He must have hit it with a hell of a force if the crane equipment lorry driver suffered whiplash. If it’s the kind of crane equipment lorry I’m thinking of, it would probably weigh several times more than the rigid at the very least.

manowar:
Poor guy. He must have hit it with a hell of a force if the crane equipment lorry driver suffered whiplash. If it’s the kind of crane equipment lorry I’m thinking of, it would probably weigh several times more than the rigid at the very least.

I passed it about 0930, and the Scania Rigid was a right state, the drivers seat was in a horrific position, and it left me wondering if the driver got out ok. Thankfully i now learn he did, but what it also made me think, is if a bigger bloke, such as myself had an accident of that magnitude, would i have survived it. Sadly i fear the answer would be no!!

I’m happy the Wiseman driver came out of it, but who’s the third party??

“A South East Coast Ambulance Service spokesman said: “We have taken three patients to East Surrey Hospital.”"

Ok, when I said “great news” I meant that he was still alive and not a pulverised mess, like the state of the cab suggested. The bit about the serious leg injures isnt so good.

The heavy transport thing involved was similar to this,

It was carrying large concrete blocks, I think they were ballast for the mobile crane it was travelling with. Extremely heavy piece of kit anyway, im amazed the driver was treated for whiplash.