M180

A life-changing incident is sufficient to close a motorway.

gallows_man:

TTX boy:
stuck in it for 2hrs this afternoon, how long do the police need to do investigations ■■? this is just taking the ■■■■.
And as for the accident…simple, going to fast for the weather conditions,no sympathy!

Oh 2 hours poor you, imagine if this was a family member ie wife, child in this accident and they had life threatening injurys. You would want the police to find out how this happened and why wouldn’t you so let them do there job. I was 10years at the recovery company who went to this last night so still speak to the lads there. And the smiths of scotter has gone into the back of the Lawsons wagon carrying railway sleepers and tracks. This has pushed the load through the Lawson cab luckily he is ok but the smiths drives has lost both legs in this. So 2 hours of you being stuck in this has no comparison to this.

I agree, if im stuck in traffic because theres been an accident i couldnt care how long it takes, atleast i’m able to go home at the end of it… The people involved arent always so lucky.

Did the second truck have a headboard on the trailer ? - I probably need to go to specsavers !!

Big Joe:
The two steel lorries were only the secondary accident, the initial shunt was further down the road where a DAF 7.5 tonner PO Van had shunted into the back of something else, possibly the ferry trailer that was minus its unit with its rear end semi destroyed on the hard shoulder several hundred yards further up, but being a ferry trailer it would be hard to tell if the damage was fresh :grimacing: .

Those snow storms were something else though, I went through a couple and although they were visible from a distance away it was a complete white out within seconds of entering them :open_mouth:

I passed this accident just after it happened, the Royal Mail Daf ran into the back of a DHL 45 ft container, the ferry trailer had also been rear ended by an artic, looked like he tried to swerve onto the H/S but the off side of the cab hit the ferry trailer, noticed a few shunts & smashes east bound as well, took me over 3 hours from Immingham to the M1. Sunny 1 minute, blizzard the next.

ROG:
Did the second truck have a headboard on the trailer ? - I probably need to go to specsavers !!

I was wondering the same thing?

A traffic cop said recently when being questioned about lengthy road closures, that all accidents are now regarded as potential crime scenes.

And of course it’s for the hi-viz boys elf n safety.

A sad day when genuine human error is a crime.

I dont care what you guys think,it’s pretty obvious that if the drivers of these trucks been driving at the correct speed for the conditions they would have had time to react to the traffic ahead,maybe they might have still run in the back of the stationary vehicle but at a much slower speed,without anyone being injured.

I went through one of these blizzards earlier in the day,i saw the sky very grey ahead so i slowed down,what i didnt do was to keep going at 56mph and go head long into the blizzard not knowing what lay ahead.
You do gooders seem to think that there are no bad hgv drivers,well let me tell you that there are, and some of them are real idiots that dont give a damm about any other road users.

Of coarse i have sympathy for the innocent victims of this accident.

Would you do gooders have sympthy if these drivers had run into the back of your wife and children sat in their car ■■?.. thought not !

to those who don’t understand why, i’m getting a bit ■■■■■■ with this, this why Andrew Gormanly -Dratsabasti. RIP - The TruckNet UK memorial forum - Trucknet UK, my dad who was a member on here suffered a road accident, and the respect people gave us and our family, by just passing their respect’s and not opening a TruckNet UK road accident investagation team on my dad’s crash, i don’t know what happend, and the inquest couldn’t determine what caused it to happen.

just imagine if you were a relative of any of the people involved and you came across this thread, personally i’d be on at the admin of this site to stop it as it can cause great offence, and also reminding the poster’s who are putting these alligation across that they are able to say them from where ever they are because you wern’t envolved in the accident and wern’t injured or worse killed…

zippo:
If you look carefully at the photograph. You can see steel plate on the road!
So I would say load security may be looked at

if you carried steel regularly you know that it doesnt matter how you fasten it on, if you run into the back of something at speed it will come off
As for the Lawsons railway lines coming through the back of his cab, they load them with 5ft overhang and they moved because the smiths wagon carrying the plate ran in to the back of the lawsons truck and pushed his load forward and through his cab

chaversdad:

zippo:

if you carried steel regularly you know that it doesnt matter how you fasten it on, if you run into the back of something at speed it will come off
As for the Lawsons railway lines coming through the back of his cab, they load them with 5ft overhang and they moved because the smiths wagon carrying the plate ran in to the back of the lawsons truck and pushed his load forward and through his cab

correct. steel on steel is probably the worse load you can carry chains nor straps will stop it from shooting forward or backwards in a crash.all they’ll stop the load from doing in some cases is falling off the trailer. Plus how many hauliers do you see carrying steel loads that are higher than the headboard on the trailer?? this is actually illegal and VOSA wont have any sympathy with the driver no matter how bad the accident.

SteveBarnsleytrucker:

chaversdad:

zippo:

correct. steel on steel is probably the worse load you can carry chains nor straps will stop it from shooting forward or backwards in a crash.all they’ll stop the load from doing in some cases is falling off the trailer. Plus how many hauliers do you see carrying steel loads that are higher than the headboard on the trailer?? this is actually illegal and VOSA wont have any sympathy with the driver no matter how bad the accident.

really ■■ :open_mouth: :unamused:

its frowned upon by the muppets at tata but its not illegal to load above the headboard it just needs the apropriate amount of straps/chains depending on what you have got on :wink:

chaversdad:

zippo:

Yes I do carry steel thanks!
Have done off and on since 1979.
For the record, I didn’t say it was anyone’s fault, but someone said nothing had come off, when I looked it seemed that steel plate was sat on the road!
Hope this helps!

zippo:

Not the way i read it

Update.
thisisgrimsby.co.uk/M180-lor … z2NaGrMvKq

Sounds like hes on the mend which is good to hear

gonzothejaffa1:

SteveBarnsleytrucker:

chaversdad:

zippo:

really ■■ :open_mouth: :unamused:

its frowned upon by the muppets at tata but its not illegal to load above the headboard it just needs the apropriate amount of straps/chains depending on what you have got on :wink:

Yeah, we did it in our last CPC as a headboard is a type of load restraint to stop a load moving forward. So if you have a headboard that is say just over a foot high and you have a load of steel that goes nearly a foot higher than the headboard then there is nothing to stop the steel moving forward apart from chains/straps if involved in an accident and these 2 things won’t stop that from happening. We do loads of steel out of Compass Eng in Barnsley and the loads were always higher than the headboard until we had 2 incidents where drivers have slammed on the breaks and the load has gone through the cabs. They don’t load them higher than the headboard now.

chaversdad:

zippo:

Not the way i read it

Ok.
Saying that load security would be looked at, means that I would of though, that accident investigators would look into it.
I was not insinuating that it had not been secured correctly.
My thoughts are with the poor guy in the smiths of scotter daf!