M1 truck crash j29

Motorway shut after lorry crash

Milk and diesel was spilled in the crash
Part of the M1 has been closed in Derbyshire after three lorries were involved in an accident.

The southbound section of the motorway is closed between junctions 29 for Chesterfield and 28 for Alfreton, with diversions in place.

A crane was used to remove a 21-tonne roll of steel which came off a lorry during the accident.

Motorists faced long delays as people tried to make their way off the M1 and around the closures.

Derbyshire Police said the stretch of road would not re-open until Tuesday evening.

One of the lorries spilt 400 litres of diesel onto the carriageway, while another lorry carrying milk cartons has lost part of its load.

Apparently, nobody seriously hurt - the mechanic had a miracle escape :exclamation:

Drove past this on the little B road which runs parallel with the M1. Merc recovery truck was practically bent in half and the can of the wagon carrying steel was a total mess - it looked like it had gone under the back of the milk trailer, I’ve been convinced all day that someone had been killed. Very glad to hear that i’m wrong.

Just goes to show again, your not safe on the hard shoulder. - time to cone off a lane when theres a breakdown? discuss…

whats exactly happened here? only heard bits n bats all day cos been out the cab.

Glad everyone’s alive. Not sure about conning the lane off for every breakdown, safe idea but i think the roads would soon grind to a halt.
Maybe more driver education to concentrate on looking forward rather than at what is going on.

im going to half to start listening more to the radio report as it took me 2 hrs to get from chesterfield to mansfield.
but it seems everyone was o.k

buys a firm and within 3 weeks there new stobart scanias and stobart livered fridges arriving in the yard,
whats happened to long lead times , thought they were 6 + months for new trucks.
not sure about trailers but 3 weeks appx to order and get them decaled out seems quick to me :question:

BBC Video of the crash site. Very lucky mechanic

news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/derb … 531002.stm

Chunky:
BBC Video of the crash site. Very lucky mechanic

news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/derb … 531002.stm

Very lucky everybody by the look of things :open_mouth:

drve past it half an hour after and i am gob smacked that they are ok!

I came past it and all I saw was somebody towing the steel trucks trailer away and then saw the remains of the other trailer, glad everybody is ok

:open_mouth: That is one group of lucky drivers, glad everyone is ok. Just watched the newsclip and am amazed everyone walked away…when it`s not your time :open_mouth:

that’s the second service van destroyed in 2 weeks on the m1,and the second mechanic to only just escape a trip up the stairs. :confused:

maybe you all wanna start opening ya eyes abit more stop having a five knuckle shuffle while ya driving.

Amazing! I’m very happy no-one got seriously hurt (or worse).

…lucky barstardos eh? :smiley:

karl67:
maybe you all wanna start opening ya eyes abit more stop having a five knuckle shuffle while ya driving.

Strange comment…are you a weirdo or summat?

can’t see how you can manage to hit a artic parked on the h/shoulder of a m/way.

no wonder people haven’t got any time for lorry drivers.

karl67:
can’t see how you can manage to hit a artic parked on the h/shoulder of a m/way.

no wonder people haven’t got any time for lorry drivers.

People sometimes get it wrong…that’s what makes us people in the first place.

I can’t defend the driver who hit the van (I don’t know the circumstances), but I say that it’s human nature to occasionally make a mistake here and there. Did you never make one yourself? I’m not having a go at you fella, but it’s unwise to jump to conlusions when you don’t have all the relevant information (5 knuckle shuffle indeed :unamused: ).

did i ever make a mistake ?

ya become a hgv driver. but lucky i wised up and got out.

karl67:
did i ever make a mistake ?

ya become a hgv driver. but lucky i wised up and got out.

…err, so why are you on here being rude to real working people then? :stuck_out_tongue:

half of them would be safer collecting trolleys in asda than on the road for the same money. professional when they gonna wake up.