M1 TRUCK CRASH J18 to J19

closed
M1 Northamptonshire - Closed northbound between J18, Rugby and J19, Catthorpe Interchange, because of a serious accident. Diversion in operation.

Last updated: 15th July 2008 at 19:51

I heard on the news that 5 trucks were involved…

> THE M1 near Rugby is closed in both directions at junction 18 due to a ‘very serious accident’ which has already claimed one life.
>
> At least five lorries are thought to have been involved in the crash.
>
> On eman has already died and other are injured.
>
> Police said the collision is actually on the northbound carriage way but both carriage ways have been closed to allow the air ambulance to attend.
>
> A spokesperson said: “The closure on the M1 is likely to remain for a further six to eight hours.”
>
> This will have serious knock-ons for other roads.

rugbytoday.co.uk/news/UPDATE … 4289920.jp

a mate of mine told me that a haulier who pulls his stuff was involved, but he still cant find out if this driver was the fatality or not.
Apparently the guy was broken down on the hard shoulder, the fitter turned up to do the repairs and then they got shunted from behind, he knows no more currently. Although the detail he has is sketchy to say the least, I am not aware if what I have put above is factual or not, just repeating what he has told me.

Condolences to the family of the driver who died.

news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/7508102.stm

I was sat in this earlier with my mate (who ran out of hours thanks to his wonderful digital tacho :imp: ) it was absolute chaos.

It doesn’t seem to matter these days if someone loses their life in an accident because all it is to the idiot car drivers who repeatedly tried pushing through the traffic is an inconvenience. :unamused:

When its like that we’re all in the same boat so a little patience would hurt… :wink:

Condolences to all of those concerned.

The crash on the M1/M6 split Today involved two of our guys we dont know the full story yet , the first one had broken down on the hard sholder and the second guy was one of our mechanics who went to rescue him, cannot name them for the sake of there familys, please remember if you breakdown on the motorway , you are not out of harms way in your cab, get out and stay out behind the barrier so another tragic accident does not happen again, once again our hearts go out to the familys involved in this tragic accident.

i have to say this again and again :angry:

IF THERE SOMETHING IS ON THE HARD SHOULDER

MAKE SURE YOU LEAVE THE INSIDE LANE CLEAR :frowning:

hitch:

Sorry M8 not practical unless volume of traffic is super light - best most can do is stick to the offside of lane 1 - tight against the white line

ROG:

hitch:

Sorry M8 not practical unless volume of traffic is super light - best most can do is stick to the offside of lane 1 - tight against the white line

Agree with ROG.

Sorry hitch, thats just not always practical

All you do is stick your indicator on and pull out, if the veh is on the hard shoulder you ‘Should’ have enough time to get out.
Had that situation today on the M40 north bound.
BUT it is not always practicle to do that, but you can try.
I should of been about where the accident was today, but I went up the M40 instead…
Never fly faster than your Angel!!! I will be saying ‘Thank you’ tonight to the big man in the sky… :laughing:

ROG:

hitch:

Rog, we don’t always agree 100% on everything on here, but on this I echo your words 100%

Especially if i see guys working on the offside of the stranded vehicle (and having been there, done that) i really, really want out a lane, but sometimes its just not possible. I hug the offside white line as tight as possible without frightening those in lane 2. (well, maybe just a little bit ).

Whilst on the h/s last night ,after helping our colleagues who were dealing with this incident,i watched in amazement as a Romanian Renault forced a English Daf onto the hard shoulder by pulling in before he had finished overtaking.Had he done this 100 mtrs earlier,the Daf would have been forced into us.I did look for the Romanian in the services!!
The hard shoulder is not a safe place to be,ever!

SOURCE

One dead as serious crash closes M1 for 10 hours

The scene of the crash on the M1. Picture by Andrew Carpenter

One person died and two others were trapped in their vehicles following a five-vehicle crash that closed a section of the M1 in Northamptonshire for nearly 10 hours.
The motorway was closed in both directions after what police descibed as a “very serious collision”.

The collision took place at 2.20pm on the northbound carriageway at junction 19a, the Catthorpe interchange, but both carriageways were initially closed to allow the air ambulance to attend.

Leicestershire Police confirmed that one person had died and two others were trapped inside their vehicles following the crash which involved five lorries.

The motorway was only re-opened at midnight, with huge knock-on effects across the rest of the county.

Condolences to all of those affected :cry: :cry: :cry:

I got a shock to see the service van is owned by K&M that do our running repairs and trailer services. I hope to god it wasnt one of the lads from Hilton,
Sympathy to the families involved whoever they are :frowning:

And in the same paper is this article. :confused:

Plan for M1 hard shoulder to open to motorists

The M1 in Northamptonshire is often hit by delays

The entire section of the M1 through Northamptonshire could see the hard shoulder opened up for motorists to drive on.
Transport Secretary Ruth Kelly today announced a £6bn package to make better use of motorways and tackle congestion, and confirmed that the M1 from junctions 10 to 19 is being considered for hard shoulder running.

A new A421 dual carriageway linking Bedford to the M1 was also given the go-ahead, taking the scheme closer to construction starting later this year.

Mrs Kelly said: "I am determined to get the best from our road network so that motorists have reliable journey times on roads that are safe and well-managed.

"The greatest barrier to this is congestion. It is frustrating and has serious consequences for the economy and the environment.

"To achieve this we need a smarter programme of investment. This includes measures like opening the hard shoulder when traffic is at its heaviest, alongside some conventional widening where that makes best sense.

“Where we add new capacity through measures like this I am also interested to see what role car share or tolled lanes could play in helping traffic flow more smoothly.”

extrucker:
Whilst on the h/s last night ,after helping our colleagues who were dealing with this incident,i watched in amazement as a Romanian Renault forced a English Daf onto the hard shoulder by pulling in before he had finished overtaking.Had he done this 100 mtrs earlier,the Daf would have been forced into us.I did look for the Romanian in the services!!
The hard shoulder is not a safe place to be,ever!

As you are a HATO supervisor, I would imagine that you know & face the dangers of that more than most :exclamation:

ROG:

hitch:

It doesnt matter how heavy the traffic is you should still make the effort to move over, heavy,moderate or light you should ALWAYS try theres no excuse for sitting on the inside lane saying “Ah the traffics too heavy ill just stay here”.

jammymutt:

ROG:

hitch:

It doesnt matter how heavy the traffic is you should still make the effort to move over, heavy,moderate or light you should ALWAYS try theres no excuse for sitting on the inside lane saying “Ah the traffics too heavy ill just stay here”.

I would imagine that most of us would make the effort if safe and convenient :slight_smile:

the only alternative is too make sure we always leave a
50 metre gap and i see less chance of that than moving over

I almost always manage to get over if I see something on the hard shoulder!

Been called a few names for doing so, but I rather that than be involved in an incident like this!

Condolences to the family involved, and hope the others make a speedy recovery.

not that it makes any difference

Do we know if it was a driver or the mechanic that lost their life?

My thoughts go out to the families involved