M1 Southbound Today

What a day on the M1, firstly I heard on the cb and then to confirm on the matrix signs that the M1 was closed due to a multi-vehicle smash between J12 and J10. :unamused: Well I thought I’m in no rush (it was 8.30 and I wasn’t booked at Park Royal until 12) so I decided to pull into Newport Pagnell where I spent an hour reading paper. Anyway, heard again on rig that motorway now clear so I set off, only to come to a standstill 7 minutes later due to another pile up just before J13. Square wheeled for 2 hours in middle lane, Great!!. Eventually got going and was 45 minutes late for my booking! I can do that run in 3hrs 45 mins normally and as I’d set off at 6am it meant that it took nearly 7 hours :angry: Anyway, this one looked a right mess involving foreign artic, car and puddle jumper. Air ambulance had to land so it ust have been bad. Just hope that the people involved weren’t too badly hurt :frowning:

Just hope that the people involved weren’t too badly hurt

If the air ambulance was called for,then i’d think it must be serious especially at something like £500 per hour. :wink:

taken from bbc news:

M1 hit by multi-vehicle pile-up
The southbound carriageway of the M1 in Bedfordshire was closed for six hours on Wednesday morning by a multi-vehicle pile up and later a jack-knifed lorry.
Five vehicles collided on the motorway between junction 10, the Luton Airport turn off, and junction 11 for Luton.

Commuters were caught in long tailbacks to junction 12, at Toddington.

Police had just cleared the inside lane and the hard shoulder to allow traffic to move when a lorry overturned at junction 13, south of Milton Keynes.

A police spokesman said at lunchtime that the motorway had reopened but traffic was still very heavy.

jon

Not concentrating in the tailbacks for the 40 mph average speed check ahead then . Not that i,m double guessing off course …