M1 road works jct 28 to M18

wtf are they doing

looks like they are cutting and chiselling out the concrete barriers and taking them away :open_mouth: someone feked up with the concrete :open_mouth:

Noticed that when I passed through this morning, arenā€™t they doing the same between Northampton and Dirft?

m.derbyshiretimes.co.uk/news/loc ā€¦ -1-7295696

leo.saphira:
http://m.derbyshiretimes.co.uk/news/local/m1-barrier-to-be-replaced-but-chesterfield-motorists-won-t-face-further-delays-1-7295696

Unbelievable, wouldnā€™t it be cheaper to just paint the barrier or give it a scim if they thought they looked crap, and who would actually notice passing them at 70mph?

ā€œWe are doing all we can to minimise disruption and are extremely disappointed because this doesnā€™t reflect our high standards.ā€

This is an extract from the article, and wtf, I didnā€™t think they had any standards let alone high standards!!! What exactly does it mean by ā€œaesthetic issueā€ā– ā– ? Apologies if that is a dumb question!! Although there is no such thing as a stupid question is thereā– ā– ? :open_mouth: :confused:

Somebody on here a couple of weeks ago said that the ā€˜Chimpsā€™ that were working on the job pushed rubbish (banana skins, [emoji529]etc) into the wet concrete. (Allegedly)

The quote about not extending the estimated completion date got me wondering. If they have time to re-do part of the work, it suggests, to me anyway, that theyā€™re dragging the job out.
I use this section most nights and there are almost always lane closures. They seem to put part of an overhead sign on one gantry, then move on and put part of a sign on the next gantry. Unless Iā€™m missing something, surely itā€™s more efficient to complete the signage on one gantry before moving on to the next.

martinviking:
Somebody on here a couple of weeks ago said that the ā€˜Chimpsā€™ that were working on the job pushed rubbish (banana skins, [emoji529]etc) into the wet concrete. (Allegedly)

That was me! A guy who is involved in moving the temporary steel barriers told me that.

Captain Caveman 76:
The quote about not extending the estimated completion date got me wondering. If they have time to re-do part of the work, it suggests, to me anyway, that theyā€™re dragging the job out.
I use this section most nights and there are almost always lane closures. They seem to put part of an overhead sign on one gantry, then move on and put part of a sign on the next gantry. Unless Iā€™m missing something, surely itā€™s more efficient to complete the signage on one gantry before moving on to the next.

Doing that would involve complete carriageway closures, on a night time they can leave one lane open, following night leave one of the others open to finish the job saving diversions off the motorway.

Claretmac:
ā€œWe are doing all we can to minimise disruption and are extremely disappointed because this doesnā€™t reflect our high standards.ā€

This is an extract from the article, and wtf, I didnā€™t think they had any standards let alone high standards!!! What exactly does it mean by ā€œaesthetic issueā€ā– ā– ? Apologies if that is a dumb question!! Although there is no such thing as a stupid question is thereā– ā– ? :open_mouth: :confused:

Aesthetic issues = they look crap.

weeto:

Captain Caveman 76:

Doing that would involve complete carriageway closures, on a night time they can leave one lane open, following night leave one of the others open to finish the job saving diversions off the motorway.

Yeah, thanks for that. All I wanted to do was have a foamy mouthed rant about lane closures, your sensible answer has put a stop to that! :wink:

Went passed both ways today & they appear to have developed a more cerebral way of repairing it. It seems to involve men getting dressed in hi viz clothing and staring at the wall, or at the J31 end staring at where it used to be, as opposed to actually doing any physical work on it.