M1 Overnight

Bit annoyed, well, very annoyed with the latest overnight closures from the Highways Agency.

Last night I ran late at the pickup and whilst I missed all the traffic, I was heading up the M1 at 2230 rather than the 1930 as I should have been doing.

From coming off the M25 there were signs up that the Services were closed between J16 and J18 Northbound. Until I passed J15 then it changed to โ€˜M1 Closed J16 to J18โ€™ :open_mouth: :unamused: :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp:

Figuring the little exit at J16 would be a tad busy I came off at 15a and scooted down the A43 onto the A5 and I was right; as I came past the road to J16 it was a stationary row of lights heading out towards the motorway. A5 was relatively clear.

I had heard that the A5 was closed at the A508 but I donโ€™t know much about that diversion so even if I knew, Iโ€™m glad I didnโ€™t take that exit.

Passing Crick I then found the link road between the A5 and the M6 J1 was closed for resurfacing, so cracked on up the A5. Passed the M69 and at the next roundabout found the A5 closed towards Nuneaton, so it back to the M69. However, on the A5 had been a gantry showing it was x number of miles and half an hour to Tamworth!

If the frigging A5 is closed why didnโ€™t they put that up, Probably the same people that thought we should know the services were shut and not the motorway. Iโ€™d say the latter was a higher priority really!!! :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp:

I came up there about 23 .oo last night and it was open ,I came on at 15a and I did see a yellow sign saying it was closed from I think 20.00 , but I went straight through,there was workers though either putting cones out,or removing them .
Came up 34/40/ 43 and saw no warnings,just yellow sign when I got on m1 .
If it was shut Iโ€™d of been stuffed as did 9.58 driving ,diversion would of been night out

I left Southampton 21 .oo,34/40/43 / m1 so must of been 23.00 apx when I went through there ,good 2 hrs from s/ton- m1

, situation normal.
Certainly needs to be more collaboration and communication between these Works officials and Agencies and Works units .
After the pitfall failure of the other weeks closure of the M1 and the A5 simultaneously , it appears they have NOT learnt any lessons . :imp:
Fear not , it does not affect them , there are alternate routes if you plan ahead in advance โ€“ really helpful advice that :unamused:
By the way .Already signposted, There will be M1 South closures Night times from J18 to J17 next week also , so be warned , pre-plan your routes :wink:
.source :
highways.gov.uk/traffic-information/

The M1 southbound entry slip at junction J18 will be closed , due to roadworks, between 8 pm and 5 am, from 3 November 2014 to 9 November 2014. More details.
M1 Severe The M1 southbound will be closed between junctions J18 and J17, due to roadworks, between 8 pm and 5 am, from 3 November 2014 to 9 November 2014.

Monday just gone, they managed to shut the motorways around Lofthouse Interchange, M1 southbound at j42 & at the same time the M62 eastbound at j30 - I imagine that caused quite a dilemma for a few truckers - Then on Tuesday night I noticed HA/Traffic England website that the written description had M1 closed at j41 northbound but the linked map had the M1 closed southbound at j42.

Dented, I guess you donโ€™t do nights much? You got off lightly. I had a run from Howden to Northampton to Runcorn and back to Howden. One night I had a M1 northbound closure to beat, 2 M6 northbound closures and a M62 eastbound closure. Last night I had to do a diversion from the A1/M18 junction up to J3 on M18 to be able to go south on the M18, got caught by the A38 closure at Derby so ended up going round the inner ring road then on the way back got caught by the M18 entry slip road northbound closure and then the closure of the A64.

If you do nights you get used to looking at trafficengland/highways.gov website to see whether you can do your job and making mental notes of all the road closure signs you see.