M1 northbound nr Luton, 2am Tues 8th Jan

Anyone know what happened to close the M1 for about 12 hours on Tuesday ?
I think it was about 2am to 2pm

I had a nearside puncture on my car.

A lorry on its side according to the traffic reports. When I went southbound, the vehicle had been moved, but they were doing something to the road, re-surfacing maybe? The queues were as far as I could see. Heard that the first guy through after it happened had been there for 7 hours :open_mouth:

It can’t take 7 hours to allow the traffic to turn around to reach the previous off-ramp. What a load of rubbish.

In any event, it’s unlikely all the lanes were blocked. Why oh why do these
traffic people have to be so ■■■■?

Really burns my backside. The loss of revenue to working folk is
enormous.
Same applies to that Scottish tipper accident…2 lanes completely clear,
and they closed the road for hours.

A test court case ‘class action’ from all drivers stuck at one incident site would
soon sort it out…

(‘Class action’ being a USA term for a group suing one entity all for the same reason. Don’t know the english term for it)

206doorman:
It can’t take 7 hours to allow the traffic to turn around to reach the previous off-ramp. What a load of rubbish.

It certainly can I sat at the front of the Q on the M3 Last week. Accident happened a min or so before i got there. I sat there for just under 6 hrs and they hadnt even reached me to turn me around the sweeper cleaned the hard shoulder after the police had finished there things to allow the remainder through the accident.

Watched plenty of Prison break though :smiley:

On a serious note unfortunately One person lost there life R.I.P.

To be honest a lot of people get Cheesed off when they close a road. however if there is any chance that a person may die because of there injuries or a person has died, the police and accident investigators have to go over the scene with a fine tooth comb to find exactly what happened so they close the road even if there is a gap that traffic could get through. If you ask me im all for it. at the end of the day someone is either hurt or dead me sitting there for 6 7 8 9 hours doesn`t bother me. ill get to where im going when I get there.

206doorman:
In any event, it’s unlikely all the lanes were blocked.

They could well have been as that is right in the middle of the roadworks section, with narrow lanes at some points.

It likely took so long to reopen due to resurfacing being required as diesel will likely have been spilled.

PICTURE

The lorry was carrying joints of ham,hanging.It took recovery trucks 2 hours to get to scene and drag it over a few feet to release trapped traffic.I understand that all trapped traffic was released by 0430,less than 2 hours after the crash happened.(not sure where 7 hours came from!)Due to lack of hard shoulder,turning hgv’s back to J8 was not possible.The first attempt to recover failed when an airbag burst,causing a strap to break and breaking the leg on the wrecker.A heavier wrecker was sent to scene,but had to fight its way through traffic.Again the attempt to raise it failed,so against advice from Police and HATO on scene,who wanted to push it into coned off area and recover at night,the works contractors decided to handball load and recover immediately.This whole process took nearly 12 hours because the road had to sprayed and cleaned due to the amount of diesel spilt.It may need to be resurfaced aswell.What i cant understand is despite all the signs on M25 etc and media reports saying M1 closed,did so much traffic attempt to go north up the M1■■

extrucker:
What i cant understand is despite all the signs on M25 etc and media reports saying M1 closed,did so much traffic attempt to go north up the M1■■

Probably because their SatNavs were routing them that way and they haven’t got the sense to go any other way, or perish the thought, try a non motorway route.