M1 northbound closed Jct 29-30/31

Probably a bit late but the M1 has been closed N/B between Junctions 29 & 31 (could be 30). Apparently broken down truck was struck by another & carnage followed including significant fuel spillage.

Expected to be closed until around lunchtime today.

Southbound also affected by ‘rubberneckers’.

bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-de … e-27710092

caused mayhem taken me 4hrs to travel from jct 26 to the m18 come of at 29 through stavely and back on at jct 30 . been in the roadworks will just cause even more mayhem

I dont understand how a broken down lorry on the hard shoulder, can be hit by a so called professional hgv driver travelling in the same direction, it happens time and time again, and maybe if drivers have their licence taken away for that, maybe, just maybe accidents will reduce, but i doubt it, and in the future when trucks are limited to 40 mph ( we already have the devices fitted ) everyone will wonder why.

I dont understand how a broken down lorry on the hard shoulder, can be hit by a so called professional hgv driver travelling in the same direction
No hard shoulder as in the roadworks. All are live lanes

If this is true he had broken down this proves we need hard shoulders not cheap 4 lane motorways

[attachment=-1]uploadfromtaptalk1401968476774.jpg[/attachment][attachment=-1]uploadfromtaptalk1401968500316.jpg[/attachment][attachment=-1]uploadfromtaptalk1401968517957.jpg[/attachment]

drivergraham:
If this is true he had broken down this proves we need hard shoulders not cheap 4 lane motorways

indeed…hard shoulders are for breaking down on not driving on.however in roadworks this is not always an option.
there seems to be a crash or breakdown in these roadworks on the M1 almost daily?why is it nessessary to do a 20 mile stretch?why not 1 mile,finish then move down a mile?

What about the new managed motorway as well hoping someone in a control center closes the lane by a matrix sign sorry but I think we are in great danger now more than ever

drivergraham:
sorry but I think we are in great danger now more than ever

How come?

I bet more people are hit/struck whilst broken down on the hard shoulder than are hit whilst broken down in a “live” lane.

Maybe other factors too…such as destractions/sat-nav’s/mobiles/reading/stereo-fiddling etc.
I’ve just seen a van driver driving merrily along talking on his mobile, other hand on gearstick (not changing gear, just resting on it) = no hands on steering wheel!!! This is by no means an isolated incident.
Best I ever saw was a youngish lad riding a 125cc geared motorbike coming towards me - I think, Hmmn he aint wearing any gloves in winter time- silly boy!! When I get close, he’s bloody texting with left-hand, riding with one hand (on throttle) & looking at his mobile!!! What a talented rider!!!
I know not everyone is guilty but some are, truck drivers included.

drivergraham:
What about the new managed motorway as well hoping someone in a control center closes the lane by a matrix sign sorry but I think we are in great danger now more than ever

These sections of so called ‘Managed Motorways’ they are building are a recipe for disaster and just a cheap way of increasing traffic flow at the expense of the hard shoulder.

What should have been done in all cases was widen the sections with an extra lane like they have between Junctions 25 and 28 of the M1 in Derbyshire.

At the end of the day it is all about cost and hard shoulder running is the cheap way out regardless of the enormous risks involved to drivers.

As for the section of 20 mile roadwork’s between Junction 28 an 31 of the M1 what lunatic authorised such a long stretch at once, surely at the most a 2 or 3 mile section at a time would have made more sense. :confused:

moomooland:

drivergraham:

These sections of so called ‘Managed Motorways’ they are building are a recipe for disaster and just a cheap way of increasing traffic flow at the expense of the hard shoulder.

What should have been done in all cases was widen the sections with an extra lane like they have between Junctions 25 and 28 of the M1 in Derbyshire.

At the end of the day it is all about cost and hard shoulder running is the cheap way out regardless of the enormous risks involved to drivers.

As for the section of 20 mile roadwork’s between Junction 28 an 31 of the M1 what lunatic authorised such a long stretch at once, surely at the most a 2 or 3 mile section at a time would have made more sense. :confused:

I’ve been saying the same for some time. I go up and down that section every day and I bet there is only about a 5 mile stretch of it being worked on at one time the other 15 miles are just full of workers having a kip in their vans, empty bogs, road cones and piles of rubble where they have dug it up and just left it there until they start work on it within the next 5-8 week :unamused:

Double post :confused:

drivergraham:

It proves people should look where their bloody well driving :question:

Do all dual & triple lane carriageways with national speed limits have Hard shoulders ?
How many of them have signals etc every few 100metres ?

truckyboy:
maybe if drivers have their licence taken away for that, maybe, just maybe accidents will reduce, but i doubt it, and in the future when trucks are limited to 40 mph ( we already have the devices fitted ) everyone will wonder why.

Controversial but spot on :question: :question:

How many times just this week have we seen what truck drivers have been up too ?
It’s even made the foreign papers :neutral_face:
nydailynews.com/news/world/b … -1.1813760
itv.com/news/london/2014-05- … n-the-m25/

Trucks cause a fair bit more damage than cars

For f***ks sake you are not helping yourselves or your industry with the antics of ‘some’ “professional” drivers.

moomooland:

Unfortunately making sense doesn’t generate revenue from the speed cameras & extra fuel used. It’s also seen as less hassle for the emergency services…

moomooland:

Yet in the EIGHT YEARS they’ve been operating on the M42 there’s not been a single problem caused. Surely if they were a recipe for disaster there would be examples of such carnage in nearly a decade of their operation?

Conor:

moomooland:

Yet in the EIGHT YEARS they’ve been operating on the M42 there’s not been a single problem caused. Surely if they were a recipe for disaster there would be examples of such carnage in nearly a decade of their operation?

Apparently the RAC don’t share your opinion about all lane running.

‘Smart’ motorways raise breakdown safety fears.

What’s happening 13-14 north bound at the min ,anyone stuck in it ?

A Polish truck hit a Romanian truck that had broke down on the hard shoulder at same time a milk tanker locked up after loosing air tank.