M1 motorway closed in both directions at Northampton

The M1 motorway has been closed in both directions near Northampton after police were called to an incident.

A spokesman for Northamptonshire Police said officers were called to a bridge over the motorway between junctions 15 and 15A to help “a person in crisis”.

Traffic has come to a standstill in both directions and motorists have been urged to remain patient and avoid the area if possible.

The incident began at 1345 BST and is ongoing.

Insp Carl Sturman of Northamptonshire Police said: "We are dealing with a person in crisis on a bridge.

"We have police-trained negotiators at the scene and we’re trying to resolve this incident as swiftly and safely as possible for all people involved.

“We ask members of the public to please bear with us and be patient.”

The Highways Agency said a diversion route had been set up for southbound traffic.

It should leave the M1 at junction 15A, follow the black hollow triangle diversion symbol, and re-join the motorway at junction 15.

The diversion route for northbound traffic has yet to be confirmed.

A Highways Agency spokesman said there were long delays in both directions on the approach to the scene.

I bet they don’t do it…

Glad i worked yesterday or i’d have been trying to get off at 15a southbound :open_mouth:

How much training does a negotiator need to yell out “Stop being an effin (choice of insults) and either jump or eff off home!”? Sensitivity was never my strong point… :laughing:

Why don’t Plod just Tazer the fool and throw them in a van? All this faffing around with soft heads!! :laughing:

Sniper, sorted. :imp: :smiling_imp:

I came past there about 13:20, was it something I said? :wink: :stuck_out_tongue:

Muckaway:
I bet they don’t do it…

Probably wont haha. I have actually seen an incident where somebody has, they died but the motorway stayed open and the body was covered up on the hard shoulder! :open_mouth:

is it a woman ■■ I was on the lash in Northampton last night and turned down a very nice offer :sunglasses: Maybe she couldn’t take rejection :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

matizerSCANIAR480:

Muckaway:
I bet they don’t do it…

Probably wont haha. I have actually seen an incident where somebody has, they died but the motorway stayed open and the body was covered up on the hard shoulder! :open_mouth:

Wasn’t on the m60 near Stockport was it?

Anyone who tries it off a motorway bridge is attention seeking, it’s not that high at all. If your gonna do it you got to do it properly. Get yourself down Beachy head or to the BT tower and stop ■■■■■■ the bank holidayers off.

park a skip wagon underneath before tazering him!

dukeofdirt:

matizerSCANIAR480:

Muckaway:
I bet they don’t do it…

Wasn’t on the m60 near Stockport was it?

No it was on the m5 quite a while ago but i remember being held up in that incident with my dad

M1 near Northampton open again after suicide threat

The M1 motorway near Northampton has reopened after it was closed for more than two hours on Sunday afternoon.

Police shut the road in both directions between junctions 15 and 15a after a suicidal woman threatened to jump from a bridge.

Traffic was diverted and long queues built up as police negotiators attempted to talk the woman down.

Police said they had brought the incident to a successful conclusion and reopened the road at about 1635 BST.

The incident began at 1345 BST.

Insp Carl Sturman of Northamptonshire Police said: "The woman was on a bridge in crisis and was threatening to jump.

"Trained police negotiators spoke to her and were successful in persuading her down.

“She is now working with us and we are looking to direct her to relevant care.”

A Highways Agency spokesman said there had been long delays in both directions on the approach to the scene.

They convinced her not to jump by saying “but Prince Harry’s still single”. :stuck_out_tongue:

Bugger that suicide lark, Tried it once and nearly got bloody killed. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Stupid cow on a Tampax moment

rocky 7:
Bugger that suicide lark, Tried it once and nearly got bloody killed. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Very funny. I’ll be using that one as my own!

dukeofdirt:

rocky 7:

Very funny. I’ll be using that one as my own!

There’s a million where that came from. I was a stand up comic for a while but i packed in because everybody was laughing at me :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: .

The negotiator said to him “whats your name then we can inform your family”
he replied" my family already know my name" :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Muckaway:
Stupid cow on a Tampax moment

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: