M1 lorry & minibus crash

Such an awful situation. I’m wondering if the driver over the limit was way over our just a little after having a couple of Friday afternoon/evening drinks with friends since this was very early in the morning. Neither scenario is acceptable by any means but that latter could be more understandable.

Nailed on the drunk is polish

kr79:

norb:
With sad instances like this ,can you see the day when you are breathalysed before you start a shift ■■?..If it turns out he is over the limit does it have any effect on his bosses for letting him drive when he was over the limit …Ie duty of care…Companies like la farge have the breathalyser in the vehicle and it wont start till you pass

I know Volvo offer some sort of breathalyser system that prevents the engine starting until an under the limit reading is provided

Alcolock, I believe all London busses are fitted with it (correct me if I’m wrong) and I can’t see it being long before we see them more commonly fitted to trucks

Can anyone provide a link to any article that says a driver failed a breath test?

What a mess, especially sad for those left behind.

Impossible to sort out the cause from what we’ve got.

Coming up the A74 today, I saw a southbound Fiesta spin out and give the barrier a good shunt, for no reason I could see except maybe an overtake gone wrong. Next junction along, a minibus nearly collected me when diving for the off slip. Bank holidays seem to bring out the worst driving.

I really hope the powers that be take a pragmatic approach to the inevitable knee-jerk.

bald bloke:

SHYTOT:
I thought all modern ish trucks had auto braking devices fitted, the last demo merc we had had

From 2015 I think the Fed ex lorry was a 60 plate and the AIM Scania was probably a 63 plate as I see quite a few in our place.

That FedEx truck will be an Axor, it’s the 15 and 16 plate Actros’ that have the collision warning and the Adaptive Cruise Control which I find excellent, in fact I believe that it’s now mandatory on all new trucks.

commonrail:
Can anyone provide a link to any article that says a driver failed a breath test?

A 31-year-old man from Worcestershire has been arrested on suspicion of one count of causing death by dangerous driving and one count of driving a motor vehicle when alcohol level above limit. A 53-year-old from Stoke-on-Trent has also arrested on suspicion of one count of causing death by dangerous driving.

It states it here on ITV News

commonrail:

Eh?

Jingle Jon:
Probably we should all start to carry out random drink and drugs tests?

I’m in the rail industry and the firm I work for already does this! They are completely random and unannounced.
The limit is also lower than the current drink drive limit for joe public!
We’ve had it like this for years and I’m surprised others have not upped their game in this regard.
I daren’t even have half with my dinner the night before a shift the next day!
Any trace of drugs or drink and I’m up the road with no appeal, no questions. You also get a 5-year ban from any other job in the industry on top.

commonrail:

I know its the daily wail but dailymail.co.uk/news/article … sh-M1.html

commonrail:

Not specifically those words but:

telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/08 … s-minibus/

Gembo:

Jingle Jon:

I’m in the rail industry and the firm I work for already does this! They are completely random and unannounced.
We’ve had it like this for years and I’m surprised others have not upped their game in this regard.
Any trace of drugs or drink and I’m up the road with no appeal, no questions. You also get a 5-year ban from any other job in the industry on top.

Yes, know a chap who drives a train… says exactly the same. He also says it applies to a lot of his colleagues who do not drive.

He said the only time he has a drink is when on holiday and then has a few days between his last drink and starting work. Slight trace and it’s down the road… no appeal.

It makes sense to me.

My issue as a small company, is how we could make it both stick and reliable within a limited budget. Government should step up and help IMO.

commonrail:

The two lorry drivers have been arrested, one of them on suspicion of driving while over the alcohol limit

bbc.com/news/uk-england-41060244
Sorry slower than the others.

Gembo:

Jingle Jon:

I work in the same industry, and any incident can lead to a ‘for cause’ test being required. One lad hit a bridge on the way to a job and was tested, just the same as one lad who derailed a machine. Investigations were the same in both cases even though one hadn’t even stated his work on the infrastructure.

Our company do 3 names, randomly picked, every 6 months, you get 24 hrs notice and your in. Failure to comply leads to disciplinary. This is ontop of any random ones that come along. A lot of sites require this when they do the site induction too. To date this year I’ve had 4. 1 for cause when a lad ran some points when I was supervising the job, 2 induction ones and a company random. Passed them all :slight_smile:

Personally, I think it should be brought in to the haulage industry.

when I was on the petrol in the 90’s we had random checks and that was half the level to the norm. still to my knowledge 3 driver’s were over and sacked on the spot.

Thing is Iv worked with and still know of firms that turn a blind eye to drunk and drug drivers…anyone who thinks it ain’t a problem is deluded…

Henrys cat:

commonrail:

I know its the daily wail but dailymail.co.uk/news/article … sh-M1.html

Oh dear

m.a.n rules:
when I was on the petrol in the 90’s we had random checks and that was half the level to the norm. still to my knowledge 3 driver’s were over and sacked on the spot.

Presumably they had the lower levels as part of the contract when the drivers were taken on, in which case fair dos, would be an interesting case for unfair dismissal if a company suddenly decided to bring in an alcohol limit lower than the law of the land and sacked a perfectly legal to drive driver who happened to have a bottle of Bud with his dinner the night before.

No one is condoning getting ■■■■■■ as a parrot night before work, or attempting to drive over the legal limit.

Jingle Jon:

Gembo:

Jingle Jon:

Yes, know a chap who drives a train… says exactly the same. He also says it applies to a lot of his colleagues who do not drive.

Yep, we even had some full time office staff tested a while back! :open_mouth: No messin!

foresttrucker:
What happened?

Minibus between two lorries in the 50mph roadworks?

No. Newport Pagnell, outside Milton Keynes, about 15 miles from the start of the roadworks area which starts from Northampton and goes up to Catthorpe.