M1 J30-31 lorry fire

Just looking on HA website and M1 J30-31 has a lorry fire with both carriageways closed, so long delays.
I have noticed in recent months reading our daily incident report, there are a lot of truck fires. Is this because firms are cutting down on preventative maintenance to save money?
There seems to be a lot more than previously and that’s just on the HA network!

because everybody’s getting paid nowt and do’nt give a ■■■■■ anymore :astonished:

extrucker:
Just looking on HA website and M1 J30-31 has a lorry fire with both carriageways closed, so long delays.
I have noticed in recent months reading our daily incident report, there are a lot of truck fires. Is this because firms are cutting down on preventative maintenance to save money?
There seems to be a lot more than previously and that’s just on the HA network!

I was just thinking the same as well. Maybe it’s all the numpty truckers trying to run high draw electronic gadgets off the cig socket and frying the wiring = fire? What else could it be?

^^+1

But maybe also the growing number of trailers running on discs. Calipers sticking/seizing/overheating coupled with large BHP tractor units can easily result in fires or blowouts followed by fires. Brake discs & calipers are brill but can cause major problems when calipers/sliders stick or seize ‘on’.

I wonder if we have got so used to the reliability of tyres that some drivers don’t bother to check them any more. A low pressure tyre will overheat while running, and then, when the truck stops, will burst into flames.

Daz1970:
^^+1

But maybe also the growing number of trailers running on discs. Calipers sticking/seizing/overheating coupled with large BHP tractor units can easily result in fires or blowouts followed by fires. Brake discs & calipers are brill but can cause major problems when calipers/sliders stick or seize ‘on’.

Could be. I had another truck driver kindly stop me on the Motorway last year. Smoke was pouring off my trailer wheels. Was raining so the spray masked most of it but he managed to spot it.

Considering I was over 40t and my brakes were binding due to an air leak the truck never dropped a single km/h. Fire was almost certain had I not have stopped.

Trouble is…in a modern high BHP vehicle you may not notice a slightly sticking brake until it’s too late. Especially in bad weather/darkness. Also no noise like we used to get on drums/shoes. Calipers do tend to stick-especially on trailers, sometimes when they’ve been stood a while in our damp country!!!

Drivers are being told by their bosses to keep it lit

But are getting the wrong end of the stick

Anyone know where Jediknight is today?

went by this one earlier.the driver had uncoupled and saved his Scania from melting.10 mile queue behind it!

carryfast-yeti:
went by this one earlier.the driver had uncoupled and saved his Scania from melting.10 mile queue behind it!

Don’t come here with the true facts :unamused:
CSI already had this nailed bang to rights with a electrical fire in the tractor unit :grimacing:

tractor unit ok but trailer slightly singed. :smiley: looks like he was carrying cardboard.

chester:

carryfast-yeti:

CSI already had this nailed bang to rights with a electrical fire in the tractor unit :grimacing:

Although I see some agents are already suspecting trailer brakes.
Good work chaps.

chester:

carryfast-yeti:

:laughing:

Was an Archbold wagon, good lad saved the unit, trailer & load was toast. Went past south about 14:30. The que’s north bound were massive. The fate fairies were smiling on me for a change.

Always worth having a fire extinguisher knocking about if you have the option. You’d be spitting on it otherwise.

Two good pictures of the incident HERE[/b] and HERE

moomooland:
Two good pictures of the incident HERE[/b] and HERE
[/quote]
As an ex Archie driver, he’s done all the other Archie drivers a favour there. Those trailers were long overdue the scrapyard.