M1 J12-15 to J6A, M25 to J30

Tomorrow morning, a very large abnormal load, is leaving M1 J12, travelling North to J15 then South to M25 then clockwise to Tilbury. Leaving at 0800, it is very large and very slow. :frowning:

That’s cool, I’ll be in canterbury by then :sunglasses:

extrucker:
Tomorrow morning, a very large abnormal load, is leaving M1 J12, travelling North to J15 then South to M25 then clockwise to Tilbury. Leaving at 0800, it is very large and very slow. :frowning:

wouldnt it be better to just head south from m1 jct 12 to m25 :question:

green456:

extrucker:

Probably a clearance or weight issue stopping it doing that :laughing: :laughing:

green456:

extrucker:

I didn’t even notice that :laughing: :blush:

green456:

extrucker:

I bet ALE never thought of that. :unamused:

I live near M1 J12 and wonder what the load is or where it is originating from. There’s not much manufacturing around here. Maybe it’s something from the current M1 roadworks that they’ve finished with and is being exported.

So far as why this route was chosen, J12 is a royal mess right now as it is in the middle of being redeveloped. The southbound on slip is still the original, complete with a relatively tight turn from the A5120. The northbound on slip is in its new configuration, with a gentler turn from the A5120.

Is that J12 route open though to flitwick yet?

Ie. can you come off there northbound, and get through to backdoor marston gate (ridgemont road) when J12-J13 is otherwise knackered, which seems very common of late…?

extrucker:

don’t talk about my mrs like that, she’ll get upset.

Somebody get pics!

djw, its a generator, or something, coming out of Sundon power station at Chalton, so the only option is really to J12.

extrucker:
djw, its a generator, or something, coming out of Sundon power station at Chalton, so the only option is really to J12.

Most of what’s a Chalton (i.e. National Grid Sundon) is switchgear - Sundon is a major node on the Supergrid. If there’s any generation there, it’s a small part of the overall activity.

Nevertheless, this makes perfect sense now. National Grid Sundon is one of the few places in the vicinity of J12 that is going to give rise to an Abnormal Indivisible Load. The load will presumably approach J12 along the B530, meaning it is literally straight on to join the M1 northbound in the new layout, rather than all the hassle of getting it round a couple of tight turns and over the bridge to go southbound. This is why the load is being turned at J15, where there is more room.

We have reversed them over J12, so they can turn left to go South, but I think this load is too big to do that and too heavy, which is why it is turning at J15. I think possibly it is too heavy for the bridges at J13 or J14.

twas a pain today…put a bit on my journey time…i finally got by when it seems to have broken down?it was stopped on the 25 and a guy at the back was carrying an oil drum??
a push and pull job with many axles on the trailer…the transformer didnt look that big but i guess it was mighty heavy.